Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Long term sword storage Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Patrick Brown

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Wed 06 Dec, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: Long term sword storage         Reply with quote

Hi all!

I am currently separated from my sword for months at a time; it's at home, and I'm at University. This got me thinking- what treatment is necessary to preserve a sword in good condition for a reasonable chunk of time? And how would this have been approached historically? I would imagine that oil or grease would have a role to play, but I don't know what sort of receptacle the weapon would be placed in- wrapped in canvas? Boxed? Placed in dragon's hoard? Seriously, any opinions would be gratefully received. And if this has already been raised, I apologise.

By the way, as a newcomer, I must say how impressed I am with this site.
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Wed 06 Dec, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I, too have had to deal with long term storage. A coat of oil (not dripping, just enough that you can start to tell the oil is there) is a great help, as you surmised. I haven't been too picky on oil, just whatever gun oil was available, I think many people have their personal favourite, which I suspect they will share. I store all of my Albions in the box they came in. This has worked well, and is a handy solution. I know some people store their swords in rifle/shotgun cases, and my impression has been that that works faily well, too. I would avoid keeping your swords in an especially dusty location, such as the attic, if you can help it. Humidity and other factors and are going to have an effect as well.

-Grey

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
Colin F.

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Wed 06 Dec, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

From what I have heard from others, Renaissance Wax is meant to be an excellent way to keep your swords in good condition. Not to mention the British Museum and Royal Armouries in Leeds use it so it can't be that bad ;-) Give it a google and I'm sure you'll be able to find it...
Melchett - "In short, a German spy is giving away every one of our battle plans."
Cpt. Darling - "You look surprised, Blackadder."
Edmund - "I cerainly am, sir. I didn't realise we had any battle plans."
Addison C. de Lisle

PostPosted: Wed 06 Dec, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greyson Brown wrote:
I store all of my Albions in the box they came in.

I did that for a while, but I began to notice very faint (but easily removable) marks on the blade from doing that. No big deal though.

I prefer Tuff-Cloth as a preservative; it lasts for months at a time. I reapply once a month, but I could easily leave it for longer. I just figure that it doesn't hurt to be too careful in this case Wink

http://www.sentrysolutions.com/TufClothkew.shtml

Alternately you could ship your swords over to me and I'll take good care of them Big Grin Take them out for walks and exercise every so often, the works Laughing Out Loud

www.addisondelisle.com
Allen Andrews

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Wed 06 Dec, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Like Addison, I have used the Marine Tuf Cloth and it is amazing. I used to carry a folder with a blade forged from 52100, and the Tuf Cloth did a better job of preventing rust than anything else I have tried. I live right on the coast and rust is a major enemy. Items I use regularly, I wipe with Breakfree CLP, but anything that might go unattended for any period of time I treat with the Sentry product.
Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Wed 06 Dec, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

At least some enthusiasts/ collectors I know of have had to leave for periods on the order of one year (military duty related.)

If we are talking about similar absences of many months or possibly a year or more, one could always wrap the grip with protective film (Saran wrap) and then coat the blade and furniture with a fairly heavy grease (axle grease). Wrap the whole mess in some cloth and figure it is good for long term storage. Clean up could be done with solvent or brake cleaner upon return.

Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Wed 06 Dec, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Addison C. de Lisle wrote:
Greyson Brown wrote:
I store all of my Albions in the box they came in.

I did that for a while, but I began to notice very faint (but easily removable) marks on the blade from doing that. No big deal though.

I've noticed the same thing, but it is just the texture of the foam that supports the sword, I have never had to do anything other than wipe the blade, and that is gone. I haven't experienced rusting or patination as a result. I think the longest my swords have ever sat in their box has been 5 months, though. Leaving them longer could have more noticable results.? I guess it just comes down to preference.

Ideally, I would like to start storing my swords in a gun safe, or other lockable cabinet. My cousins have children, and it probably won't be long before my brother and sister do the same. I would like to have a place where I can keep the kids safe from the swords (I advocate the "burned hand teaches best" approach, but some mitigation of that can be appropriate, too), and the swords safe from the kids.

-Grey

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
Patrick Brown

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Thu 07 Dec, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice guys. At the moment I have the blade lightly oiled and hanging in a cupboard, but I'll definitely be taking a look at the products you recommend.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Long term sword storage
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic