Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Introducing... The Liechtenauer Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Howard Waddell
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Mon 20 Nov, 2006 7:07 am    Post subject: Introducing... The Liechtenauer         Reply with quote

At last...

We are now in full production of the first model of the Maestro practice swords.

more here:

http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/ma...enauer.htm

Next up in line for release are the I:33 and the Meyer (no set dates yet.)

Best,

Howy

Albion Swords Ltd
http://albion-swords.com
http://filmswords.com
David Stokes

PostPosted: Mon 20 Nov, 2006 7:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

wow!
when one heres a cost effective practice sword, one usually doesnt picture such a nice lookin sword....... that cord wrap is really nice
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 20 Nov, 2006 7:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Howard Waddell wrote:
Next up in line for release are the I:33 ...(no set dates yet.)

Will the tempation never end?!?!?!?!?

BTW, I really like the plain cord grip. It should offer a more secure hold than plain leather, but helps keep the cost down I suspect. And the lines on the guard add a little elegance so that no one need be ashamed of their practice piece, either.

-Grey

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
Hugo Voisine

PostPosted: Mon 20 Nov, 2006 7:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

YEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS !

I want one, now !

I will send my order tonight.........

Edit : order sent, cannot wait no more. Happy
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 20 Nov, 2006 7:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Fantastic! One of my students has had one of these on pre-order, so I can't wait to beat it up. Happy

Is this a good sign that the other Maestro line swords will be coming along? Such as the messer? (hint, hint!)

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Pamela Muir

PostPosted: Mon 20 Nov, 2006 8:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

<Very loud, very high pitched, excited girly scream>

For all of you at Albion: :-*

<running to the window, pressing my face against the glass, watching for the UPS truck>

Pamela Muir

Founder/Lead Instructor
Academy of Chivalric Martial Arts

"I need a hero. I'm holding out for a hero 'til the end of the night. He's gotta be strong, And he's gotta be fast, And he's gotta be fresh from the fight." ~Steinman/Pitchford
Harlan Hastings
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 20 Nov, 2006 8:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Pamela Muir wrote:

<running to the window, pressing my face against the glass, watching for the UPS truck>

Keep looking Pamela ..... it's on it's way! Eek!
David Kite

PostPosted: Mon 20 Nov, 2006 8:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Awesome looking practice weapon!

The real one looks much better than I had anticipated from the concept sketch.

Also, excellent choice providing a list of Next Gen swords the Maestro line will be comparable to (even if some of those aren't in production yet). That saves me having to ask that question when I (eventually) order one, or waiting to be able to handle them side by side in person.

(If only I weren't broke)

David Kite
GFS, ARMA in IN
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 231 books

Spotlight topics: 15

(10 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 20 Nov, 2006 8:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Cool to see. Happy The choice of stainless fittings is interesting and should be good for those in stage work or people who beat their stuff up regularly.
Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Sean Belair
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 20 Nov, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

cool. is the pommel peened or threaded?
Derek Wassom

PostPosted: Mon 20 Nov, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Awesome! Could we get a picture of the edge?
Regards,
Derek Wassom
Luegisland Scholar
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Mon 20 Nov, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The tang is riveted/peened at the pommel, just like every other sword. Even the guard is peened/riveted down on each side of the tang for extra sturdy durability.
The edge is shaped from a flat 2 mm into a well rounded section.

Perhaps I should point out that my intention with the Maestro line training swords is not to reproduce the heft of any specific NG line sword *exactly*, even though there will be a definite siblingship between these trainingswords and their sharp counterparts in the NG line. Just like the swords listed as comparable to the Liechtenauer are all slightly different from each other, the Liechtenauer will still clearly belong to that group. You can cross train with the sharps and the blunts and get good feedback between them, but one should not expect a complete blue print similarity to any specific sharp in the NG line. This is only said to make sure that expectations of exact similarity are not get put to shame.
The fact that the Maestro line trainers do behave like sharp weapons, make them suitable to be used alongside NG swords as the two lines are built on the same basic principles for dynamic balance, heft and type character.

The Liechtenauer is intended to behave like a sturdy, but agile longsword. The goal was to make a trainingsword that behaves as much as ever possible as a sharp sword.
The Liechtenauer will correspond most closely to the Regent, Earl and possibly also the Landgraf and Sempach. It is not too far removed form the Talhoffer and Agincourt, but will have a slightly more cut oriented feel compared to the long XVa´s.

The Meyer is closer to the XVa NG line long swords in its handling. The Meyer can be used as a blunt trainer in place for most agile pointy longswords of similar length and possibly also for the coming XIXa bastard swords. Perhaps the Meyer could actually correspond pretty well to the Munich as well.
The Meyer has an edge that is thicker at the base (about 5 mm) gradually thinning down to 2 mm at the very point. The edge is given a radiused section.

The Epee de Guerre will naturally correspond most closely to the Baron and Duke.

It will be interesting to get feedback from WMA practioners on these trainers and how they affect sparring and interpretation of the techniques shown in the manuals.

There are other trainingswords to be included in the Maestro line in various stages of development and design, but we shall return to those later.

Thanks for your enthusiastic respons so far.
I´m looking forward to hear any further questions and thoughts.
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Mon 20 Nov, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Pamela Muir wrote:

Pamela, I guess you will have another piece for show-and-tell when I visit in December. I look forward to seeing it!

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 20 Nov, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Pamela Muir wrote:

OUCH ....... I just lost an eardrum. Eek!

But back on topic this training sword actually looks very good aesthetically as a sword and not only as a training tool: Although I'm sure that it's extremely well designed as a training tool.

Pamela you will just have to win every bout with Bill with a pre-emptive strike so he doesn't even get a chance at beating up your sword.

Seriously, I can feel your excitement from thousands of miles away. Laughing Out Loud

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 20 Nov, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Pamela you will just have to win every bout with Bill with a pre-emptive strike so he doesn't even get a chance at beating up your sword.

Oh, my head's pretty hard. It'll mess that sword up nicely Big Grin

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Gene Davis

PostPosted: Mon 20 Nov, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I got the extreme pleasure of handling one of these beauties at the New York Knife Show and am very glad I ordered one when I did (last Dec.). I only wish I'd ordered sooner...

(Thanks to Harlan and Mike of Albion for their gracious hospitality. It was great finally meeting you!)
Robert Zamoida

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Mon 20 Nov, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow, it looks like you guys have been really burning the midnight oil; unfortunately, I think you missed the mark on this one. That sword is waaaaay too pretty to be a practice weapon! Big Grin Razz Laughing Out Loud Seriously though, awesome job blending both aesthetics and functionality. I can't wait to see what ou do with the rest of the line.
Rob Zamoida
"When your life is on the line, you want to make use of all your tools. No warrior should be willing to die with his swords at his sides, without having made use of his tools."
-Miyamoto Mushashi, Gorin no Sho
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 0%
(1 total ▮ 0% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 20 Nov, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In response to the following two quotes (and similar ones from other posts in this thread):

Peter Johnsson wrote:
It will be interesting to get feedback from WMA practioners on these trainers and how they affect sparring and interpretation of the techniques shown in the manuals.

I´m looking forward to hear any further questions and thoughts.

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
But back on topic this training sword actually looks very good aesthetically as a sword and not only as a training tool: Although I'm sure that it's extremely well designed as a training tool.

This sword has undergone a very extensive research and development process. Part of this included the making of a couple of prototypes to test the blade's characteristics, resiliency, and handling, and to help with the design of the fittings, among other things. As a result, a few of us at the shop have had a good deal of opportunity to give them a thorough workout. Although they are longswords, we've primarily used them for Fiore's single-handed work. We have pressed into some of Fiore's 2-handed, armoured, horseback (minus the horses, but the techniques are still valid) and some of Liechtenauer's 2-handed work as well.

Although I do work with Albion, that fact has nothing to do with my next statements. I take my training quite seriously, and I want the best tool I can manage to obtain for that purpose. I'll have a bit of a wait as there are a bundle of orders in front of mine, but Shan-Aan and I are down for a pair of them. They're simply awesome. No training sword I've ever encountered compares (and the list is quite long). They feel right. They act properly. They are very durable and resilient (the blades show some dings and scratches of course, but we've yet to file a dangerous burr and they remain straight after an estimated 50+ hours, some hardcore full-speed, full-strength!) To provide my answer to Peter's questions, they offer a good sense of safety and control during sparring while handling as a sharp sword would. I have no reservations about using these instead of a wood, composite, or aluminum waster - in fact, I actively avoid them in favor of these. I find that all of the techniques translate exceptionally well, and, honestly, it's my opinion that my training has benefitted as a result of having such a tool to work with. Cutting from guard to guard, counters and counter-counters, winding and binding, disarms, even stepping on the opponent's blade (which flexes the heck out of it quite aggressively - always returned true) all work well because they are a good approximation of a longsword such as the Regent, Landgraf, or Brescia, all of which I know very well. As I mentioned above, we've used them easily single-handed, and they handle beautifully 2-handed. They have a noticeable presence and response to strikes and guards; they hit solidly - quite satisfying, actually.

I'm personally excited to see these in production now - there are a lot of practitioners that I know will appreciate them.

And yes, Pamela, it IS in the way... but only because Rob managed to pry it out of my hands to ship it. Brave, brave Rob... Razz
Pamela Muir

PostPosted: Tue 21 Nov, 2006 4:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Aaron, thanks for letting go. Big Grin

I have a safety question. How flexible is it in the thrust?

Pamela Muir

Founder/Lead Instructor
Academy of Chivalric Martial Arts

"I need a hero. I'm holding out for a hero 'til the end of the night. He's gotta be strong, And he's gotta be fast, And he's gotta be fresh from the fight." ~Steinman/Pitchford
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Tue 21 Nov, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hurrah! Looks great. I've got a Maestro Epee de Guerre on order. I wonder if I should have opted for this one instead?

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Introducing... The Liechtenauer
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: