Painted sallets
Hello,
I'm searching for some pictures of painted sallets. I know only those mentioned in "Black sallet" discussion. Does anyone know of some contemporary illumination?
In a DK book, aptly named "weapons", there is a picture of a painted sallet. I have no idea how to post pictures though, and I have no scanner.

its virtually a sallet in a lot of green, blues, and reds. The example in the book is authentic.

EDIT: Lemme try to find a picture of it on the net. I'll be back if I'm successful!
Thanks for your reply. I will be really pleased, if you manage to find the picture and post it here.
Do you mean this German helmet from 1490 in the Royal Armouries Leeds England?

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]
Wow! :surprised: Thanks a lot. :) I didn't know this example, but I think I have seen some replicas of this helmet. I was searching for some painted helmets in several manuscripts, but haven't found anything. Does anyone know of any?
Now I see. This is the one already mentioned in "Black sallet" discussion. :idea: But these pictures are interesting too.
Re: Painted sallets
Vaclav Hajek wrote:
Hello,
I'm searching for some pictures of painted sallets. I know only those mentioned in "Black sallet" discussion. Does anyone know of some contemporary illumination?

For those not familiar with the discussion Hajek is referencing, here it is.
Here's one more painted sallet, even thought it's not painted entirely.

German sallet, c. 1485 with painted flames:

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

This example is from castle Zleby in the Czech Republic.
Now that is a cool helmet! :)

I have another picture of the black sallet in the RA here, please click on the thumbnail:

Vaclav Hajek wrote:

Splendid schaller. Havent seen many like that before. Its got a center-ridge in the eye-slit, not something you see too often. A real treat.
W. Stilleborn wrote:
Vaclav Hajek wrote:

Splendid schaller. Havent seen many like that before. Its got a center-ridge in the eye-slit, not something you see too often. A real treat.

I agree. I've never seen a painted normal "quality" Sallet. As far as I know only Black Sallets got painted. Awesome piece :)
W. Stilleborn wrote:

The beck part of this sallet is also interesting. There are two neck plates, that are already rounded unlike the pointed ones of common sallets.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: