Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Buck Knives Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Joel Chesser

PostPosted: Wed 15 Nov, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Buck Knives         Reply with quote

Does anyone know anything about this company? I Was considering purchasing one of their pieces but don't know that much about their knives. The two knives Im interested in are the 119 special and the Nighthawk (or short night hawk, Im not sure which it is). Any information, whether general or specific is appreciated.
..." The person who dosen't have a sword should sell his coat and buy one."

- Luke 22:36
Thomas Watt

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Wed 15 Nov, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

hi. during my military career, I carried a buck folding knife most of the time.
I'm sorry that I can't address the specific models you inquire about, but the company as a whole has a long and solid history of producing reliable and highly capable steel.
I still have the Buck knife I carried 20 years ago, it is still a fine knife, and works quite well and I have added an additional Buck knife to my pile of blades since.

I seem to recall that years ago, Buck claimed that their blades would cut a steel bolt without damaging the edge (another stunt of sorts, similar to those that Cold Steel markets)... I would have little trepidation about purchasing another of their knives, as they are very functional and well-done as far as manufactured blades go (not the same as a hand-made, one-of-a-kind blade).

Have 11 swords, 2 dirks, half a dozen tomahawks and 2 Jeeps - seem to be a magnet for more of all.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 15 Nov, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Buck makes an excellent work knife for the money. I used one of their folders as a utility knife in the Navy without complaint. I also carried a Nighthawk with my web gear during my years on my agencies tactical unit. Both knives served me well.
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Wed 15 Nov, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree with the sentiments already posted, not only does Buck turn out an excellent product but their customer service is nothing short of amazing... a little story if you will indulge me...

For years I carried a buck crosslock solitaire. It was a great knife for the money (around 30 dollars) a nice sturdy blade, that held a good edge, was easy to maintain, simple to operate with one hand etc. Then I lost it. Even worse I discovered that Buck was no longer producing the Solitaire so there was not even the chance to get a new one. I was aggravated... I was far more then aggravated. I happened to be on Bladeforums and gave vent to those frustrations saying how much I liked the knife and that I could not get a new one etc. I believe my subject heading was something like "rackin frack it &%*&%&^%^&." I got the usual commiserating posts and suggestions for replacements and so forth. Then I got a nice email from a guy that claimed to be a Buck Sales V.P. who offered to send me one of their brand new crosslock series that had not even been released yet. So I sent him my address not really expecting much but to my surprise about a week later a brand new unreleased knife showed up in the mail. It was in no way Buck's fault that I lost my Solitaire, they were under no obligation to send me a new knife... and yet they did... then get this. About a month later I get another package in the mail. In it is one of the original Buck Solitaires along with a nice note from the V.P. telling me he was cleaning out his desk and found it and thought I would like to have it.

Above and beyond the call of duty in my opinion. Buck is a good company with a good product and good people.

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
John Cooksey

PostPosted: Wed 15 Nov, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Buck has always had a reputation for making very high quality, very durable blades at an affordable price.
I have owned several, both fixed blades and folders, and they have all been top notch. Some of my skinner/hunting knives have been with me for almost 20 years, and I have no complaints.

I didn't surrender, but they took my horse and made him surrender.
Michael Olsen

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Wed 15 Nov, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've been carrying a Buck folder pretty much everywhere for the past 5 or so years and I have yet to have an issue. My father used several of their fixed blades out on the trail during hunting and they've been passed down to me now. Subjectively and objectively, I'd give them a recommendation.
Sean Belair
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 15 Nov, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i have a small fixed blade from them that i like (so swords on campus but i make do) and one of my budies owns a folding utility from them and is pleased with it.
they get my endorcement
Sean Belair
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 17 Nov, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

as a side note does anyone know how to disasemble one of this knife. i want to repalace the plastic components with wood, but cant for the life of me figure out how to get it apart. it looks like its screwed on but i can't get it to budge.
thanks

Attachment: 3.9 KB
med_102.jpg

Eric McHugh
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 17 Nov, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject: Yup         Reply with quote

I used a Buck knife during my survival training in the AF. It was a great knife, and it held up to the punishment that I put it through.
Find me on Facebook, or check out my blog. Contact me at eric@crownforge.net or ericmycue374@comcast.net if you want to talk about a commission or discuss an available piece.
Tim M.

PostPosted: Mon 22 Jan, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I own one Buck's traditional Hunter folding knifes and I have to say I'm well pleased with it. My father owned it before I did and it still has a keen edge after all this time. Big Grin

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Buck Knives
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic