Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > How to circumvent proxies blocking myArmoury.com Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Bruno Giordan

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 12 Nov, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: How to circumvent proxies blocking myArmoury.com         Reply with quote

Having noticed that somebody classified this site as a dangerous extremist website peddling arms and explosives, so that public institutions and private companies firewalls will block it, I'm suggesting the use of a couuple of free censorship circumventing proxies:

http://www.grab.cc

http://www.phproxy.org

Any other url obfuscating cgi proxy will work.

try googling for one if the above proxies are blocked themselves.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 12 Nov, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bruno,
I have concerns with how on-topic this is to the site. On the one hand, it is good information, especially as I have been locked out before by over-agressive filtering. But, it's not too related to arms & armour, though it is related to this site.

What I'm sure of, is that this thread should not become a gripe session about censorship and filtering. Everybody: please consider this a pre-emptive warning to not go down that road.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Douglas G.

PostPosted: Sun 12 Nov, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Forgive my naivete, by who and where is this site considered dangerous? In all the posts I've
read since joining I don't recall anything more destructive than a pool noodle, mat or pumpkin
being cut.

I'm puzzled,
Doug G.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 12 Nov, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The word "weapons" is banned by many net nanny type of products.

The discussion of arms and armour is considered politically incorrect in today's social landscape.

This is why I've worked so hard making an environment that can be taken seriously and has strict guidelines as to what is and what is not within this site's scope.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Tue 14 Nov, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: How to circumvent proxies blocking myArmoury.com         Reply with quote

Bruno Giordan wrote:
Having noticed that somebody classified this site as a dangerous extremist website peddling arms and explosives, so that public institutions and private companies firewalls will block it, I'm suggesting the use of a couuple of free censorship circumventing proxies ....

Thanks, but I will pass on this. I find it inconvenient that my firm chooses to block myArmoury.com. However, I must recognize their right to control any internet access made via the firm's facilities.

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Bruno Giordan

PostPosted: Wed 15 Nov, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This website is made up with honest , normal and polite people.

It is a very good example of internet community that could be used by a five years old toddler with safety.

I didn\'t mean to incite people to slack during working hours, obviously.

Other institution could be accidentally blocking this website, when there is actually hardly any sense in doing it.

It s a community dedicated to the increase of historical knowledge, without any strings attached.

And it is really nice that it be like that.
Bruno Giordan

PostPosted: Wed 15 Nov, 2006 9:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
The word \"weapons\" is banned by many net nanny type of products.

The discussion of arms and armour is considered politically incorrect in today\'s social landscape.

This is why I\'ve worked so hard making an environment that can be taken seriously and has strict guidelines as to what is and what is not within this site\'s scope.

The list is related to the software privoxy, that belongs to the linux/open source world.

Sometimes people from this environment show a marked political bias, it is very annoyng for other people who belong for profession or study to the information science community, but it happens: one enters a programming community but he is often administered subtle or less subtle doses of political indoctrination and activism.

So they try to enforce their political beliefs even upon aspects on life that to most people appear completely apolitical.

It is actually a violent and rather orwellian modus operandi, which comes from a totalitarian view of society.
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Wed 15 Nov, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bruno Giordan wrote:
... It is actually a violent and rather orwellian modus operandi, which comes from a totalitarian view of society.
I don't think this is the case for firms in the US. Here, when a firm filters websites, it is more likely to be a defensive measure against potential lawsuits.
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Allen Andrews

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Wed 15 Nov, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What I find to be amusing is that myArmoury is not blocked by our filter, but both of the above sites are because they are anonymizers. Eek!
Bruno Giordan

PostPosted: Wed 15 Nov, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
Bruno Giordan wrote:
... It is actually a violent and rather orwellian modus operandi, which comes from a totalitarian view of society.
I don't think this is the case for firms in the US. Here, when a firm filters websites, it is more likely to be a defensive measure against potential lawsuits.

I was exclusively talking of free software communities, the blocking lists are the product of volunteer work as far as I know.

Provate firms are doing what is necessary to protect their businnes, obviously.

I'm not wishing to tempt you into sin again.
Merv Cannon

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Fri 17 Nov, 2006 1:58 am    Post subject: Web proxy stuff thingies         Reply with quote

Im not too up on programmimg or advanced PC terms, but I know this much...........the whole world's gone nuts ! What with even the Scotts banning knives and some Scottish extremist loonys wanting to ban Swords totally as well !! I have learnt not to take web infomation lightly or to presume....that is to think that it will always be there ! I know that terrorists target I. T. as a secondary issue and it doesent seen impossible to me that they should do harm to the internet one day. No one thought 9/11 would or could happen either. All of this unfortunately gives licence to all the extremists to want to take all out sharp and pointy objects away too. If some of them had their way, they'd issue rubber knives to the Army as well ! I know that its a good idea not to "verbalise" certian words that might be percieved as "threatening" either on the phone, or even e-mail or probablly on sites as well. You know how fast a search is done on-line......and things like the internet are just the toys that they give to the public to 'Play' with ......I know that they have some real high-tech stuff to sift the info with and if you mention a highlighted word it gets 'tagged' ! When I worked in central China, all our e-mails were read and checked before being sent on.........sometimes it would take 40mins just to open one e-mail. I know not because of that, but because I was told so !
I have noticed that myArmoury is getting to be unavailable lately,every other day at times, but this is probably due to server overload.
What I continue to do is to try and save as much info as I can in my interrest areas......if for no other reason that web-sites and people do move on, etc. ..... three of my all time favourite sites on medieval stuff have disapeared this year..one of them ( on Historic French Archery Tournament types) was totally unique !
So.........May you all have long, prosperous and adventurous web-surfing for youself and for the good of us all !! Cool

Merv ....... KOLR
http://www.lionrampant.com.au/

"Then let slip the dogs of war ! "......Woof !
Sam Barris

PostPosted: Fri 17 Nov, 2006 5:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Merv Cannon wrote:
Im not too up on programmimg or advanced PC terms, but I know this much...........the whole world's gone nuts!

The world has always been nuts for one reason or another.

Merv Cannon wrote:
No one thought 9/11 would or could happen either.

Actually, quite a few people in the political science community predicted the eventual use of those exact tactics. I used that scenario myself in a college paper in which I argued against BMD. This was in May of 2001. Americans don't generally pay any attention to political scientists, so this fact is not widely known. (Yes, I see that you're not American. Happy )

Merv Cannon wrote:
All of this unfortunately gives licence to all the extremists to want to take all out sharp and pointy objects away too.

Yes, and it is painful to see. Especially considering that these issues are generally fueled by fear rather than reason. However, if I may introduce some perspective, sword ownership was almost always restricted in some form or another throughout history. Entire classes of daggers and short swords were developed because swords were forbidden within the walls of many cities. Often, sword ownership was limited to a ruling aristocracy or the warrior elite who guarded their intrests. Frequently, even authorized bearers of weapons had limits set upon where and when they could carry them. At almost no point in history has a government allowed unrestricted ownership of weaponry to people not actively engaged in politics, law enforcement or the military. It tends to be something of a wildcard.

But I think even the question of weapons restrictions is extremely off topic, though not quite as far off as 9/11. The original post was about internet firewalls that might block access to this site. Ten years ago, I'd have been right there waving a subversive banner with you. Now, however, I have to look at these things in a more philosophical light. My own office computers will allow me to log on to myArmoury, but not Yahoo, Gmail or any other web-based email. (Actually, I'm at work right now ! Razz ) This is more of a security measure than anything else. If my CO were to order a firewall placed on, say, Wikipedia, I'd conclude that he didn't want his people wasting time while at work. (As I am doing right now ! Razz ) Most parents who buy this kind of software just want to protect/shelter their kids, and as annoying/misguided as that may be in this case, there is really nothing malicious about it. In any event, I don't really see the footprint of the NWO on this issue, nor have I been forced by the government to consume soma to date. I think it's really just a knee-jerk reaction of extremely PC people to the use of the word "weapon". I'm not sure it goes much beyond that... at least not yet.

Pax,
Sam Barris

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." —Thucydides
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 17 Nov, 2006 6:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I thought I was pretty clear when I asked that this not turn into political commentary. Let me be more plain:

Political commentary doesn't really fit this site. Leave it out.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > How to circumvent proxies blocking myArmoury.com
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic