myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Home Spa Treatment Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Thu 05 Oct, 2006 8:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Pamela,

You've done it. You've pushed me off the edge. I was going to rewrap mine based on your SL Bastard Sword, but now I really have to re-do my SL Knightly.

That looks very nice, and definately see improvement from your first grip. I would recomend not going with the "instant shine" sponge, however. On smooth leather, like dress shoes or combat boots, it can cause the leather to crack (the "polish" dries out quickly, and dries the leather with it), and does not provide any real protection to your leather. If you go with the normal wax polish, that will smooth out your leather, and provide a limited amount of water resilience. Wax also does not dry out nearly as quickly (the instant polish sponge will normally last about 5 minutes, a good job with wax polish on a pair of combat boots can easily last a week). The neutral polish is probably the best choice, as it should not alter the color of your grip. Also, the dyes in other colors of polish can wear off on your hand.

-Grey

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
Helen Miller

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Thu 05 Oct, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Miss Pamela,

Thanks for letting me see it in person!!! Like I told you before I am totally impressed! Could you wrap one of my swords??? Happy

--------
Helen
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Thu 05 Oct, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: This is becoming quite addicting...         Reply with quote

Pamela Muir wrote:
At some point soon my friends are going to hide their swords when I come into the fencing school. I'm likely to sneak out with one and return it later with a new grip. This is quite fun ....

That new grip looks really nice, Pamela.

I would make a stereotypical comment relating to "females being fickle", but, you would see through that, knowing that I am just jealous of your skill Laughing Out Loud. My only regripping project, so far, has resulted in nothing but a naked tang. In some rare cases, like me, stereotypes really do apply. In my case, I'm really good at taking things apart. Cool I just don't seem to get around to putting them back together again! Cry I really must try to focus on finishing my one re-grip project.

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Pamela Muir

Reading list: 34 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 05 Oct, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Grey, Thank you for the advice (again!)! Happy I did try many different coatings on scrap pieces before I tried it on my sword. I tried neutral shoe polish, spray on leather protector and even a beeswax blend that I use for making lip balm. I let the pieces sit for a couple of days and I just liked the feel and looks of the instant stuff best. It's okay if it doesn't last too long. It's easy to re-apply or I have another re-gripping project to tackle. (After all, Steve thinks I'm fickle. Razz <friendly teasing>)

Helen, I'm glad you like it! Now, be careful what you ask for...What do you think about a "sunburst" color to match your truck? Wink

Steve, It's not that I'm fickle, I just get tired of black! Boring and depressing. Speaking of stereotypes, I don't even own a "little black dress." Worried Just make sure you keep your swords out of my hands in December. Wink

Pamela Muir

Founder/Lead Instructor
Academy of Chivalric Martial Arts

"I need a hero. I'm holding out for a hero 'til the end of the night. He's gotta be strong, And he's gotta be fast, And he's gotta be fresh from the fight." ~Steinman/Pitchford
Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Thu 05 Oct, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Pamela Muir wrote:
... Just make sure you keep your swords out of my hands in December. Wink

Hmmm. I thought about dulling the edges. But I've seen enough of your fencing videos to know that sharp or blunt wouldn't change the sad outcome Laughing Out Loud . Maybe I'll come in disguise Idea .

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

PostPosted: Thu 05 Oct, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Pamela's photo doesn't do it justice: It really looks a lot better in person. In fact, Pamela kindly rewrapped my 15th c. bastard sword, and it looks fantastic. I was really impressed. I need to get some good pictures of it, though I don't see having enough time before WMAW next week. But it's like having a new sword (which is nice, since I don't have the money for a new one right now!)
HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 05 Oct, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Pamela;

Nice job(ssssssss) on the grips: Maybe we can ALL send you our swords to re-handle. Razz Laughing Out Loud

I would just use some Renaissance Wax to give a subtle sheen and I think it would also be protective and easilly re-applied when rubbed off. It might after a while penetrate into the leather and keep moisture out ?

Hmmmmmm : Maybe you could wrap golf club or tennis rackets handles. Wink Razz Or even cover a bowling ball Exclamation ( You know I'm joking I hope. Big Grin )

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Pamela Muir

PostPosted: Fri 06 Oct, 2006 3:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:
In fact, Pamela kindly rewrapped my 15th c. bastard sword, and it looks fantastic.

Bill, kindness had nothing to do with it. I needed the practice. Razz I keep telling you that you trust me entirely too much. Wink (As an aside, I really like the barter system. I'm definitely getting the better end of the deal. It's much easier to wrap a sword than to teach me how to play the guitar.) Laughing Out Loud

Jean, I don't have golf clubs, a tennis racket or even a bowling ball, but I think kayak paddles will do nicely. Laughing Out Loud (Thank you for the compliments.)

Pamela Muir

Founder/Lead Instructor

"I need a hero. I'm holding out for a hero 'til the end of the night. He's gotta be strong, And he's gotta be fast, And he's gotta be fresh from the fight." ~Steinman/Pitchford
Helen Miller

PostPosted: Fri 06 Oct, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Pamela's photo doesn't do it justice: It really looks a lot better in person.

I totally second that!!! Pamela, sunburst orange would definately work with me Happy.

Helen
Pamela Muir

PostPosted: Sat 07 Oct, 2006 3:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Helen Miller wrote:

I totally second that!!! Pamela, sunburst orange would definately work with me Happy.

You got it! (If you can wait until I get through October.) Happy

Pamela Muir

Founder/Lead Instructor

Helen Miller

PostPosted: Sat 07 Oct, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
You got it! (If you can wait until I get through October.)

Awesome! I can wait.

Helen
Pamela Muir

PostPosted: Sat 28 Oct, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: but wait there's more...My husband's "new" sword         Reply with quote

This time I used Italian upholstery leather. Eek! I finished it before I learned about skiving. (Thanks Aaron!) I like to think that the seam will turn out better on the next one, now that I know the secret. Happy

The top picture is closer to the true color.

Attachment: 109.85 KB
Mark_grip1.jpg

Attachment: 122 KB
Mark_grip2.jpg

Pamela Muir

Founder/Lead Instructor

Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Sat 28 Oct, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: but wait there's more...My husband's "new" swo         Reply with quote

Pamela Muir wrote:
This time I used Italian upholstery leather. Eek! I finished it before I learned about skiving. (Thanks Aaron!) I like to think that the seam will turn out better on the next one, now that I know the secret. Happy

The top picture is closer to the true color.

Looks great, Pamela. Which sword is that? Kinda looks like the Albion Squire Line "Late 13th Century Great Sword".

- Sir Toby Belch
Pamela Muir

PostPosted: Sat 28 Oct, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: but wait there's more...My husband's "new" swo         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:

Kinda looks like the Albion Squire Line "Late 13th Century Great Sword".

Good spot, Steve! Big Grin

Pamela Muir

Founder/Lead Instructor

Greyson Brown

PostPosted: Sat 28 Oct, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Pamela, this is getting kind of spooky. I want to get a SL 13th Century Greatsword for my next piece, and I had already planned on re-doing the grip in red leather with one riser at top and bottom (inspired by the picture of the Duke on Albion's site). Thanks for giving me an idea of what it will look like!

-Grey

Pamela Muir

PostPosted: Sun 29 Oct, 2006 3:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greyson Brown wrote:
Pamela, this is getting kind of spooky. I want to get a SL 13th Century Greatsword for my next piece, and I had already planned on re-doing the grip in red leather with one riser at top and bottom (inspired by the picture of the Duke on Albion's site).
Great minds think alike?
Quote:
Thanks for giving me an idea of what it will look like!

I hope that's a good thing. Happy
The upholstery leather is already treated with a protective coating, a nice advantage. It is a little on the shiny side though. As a friend of mine told me, "It looks like somebody's couch." Razz The cord wrapping did help tone down the shine a little.

Pamela Muir

Founder/Lead Instructor

Greyson Brown

PostPosted: Sun 29 Oct, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes, giving me an idea of the finished project is a good thing. In fact, I had questioned whether red leather and relatively few risers would look good on this grip (for some reason, I don't really like it on the Duke, but it still made me consider the same arrangement for the 13th Century Greatsword), but now that I have seen it, or at least something very close. I'll use some of the pigskin that I used on my SL Knightly sword the other day and then just dye it. As I mentioned in my other thread, I have plenty of the stuff so that shouldn't be an issue. A whole hide is quite a bit more than I really need.

-Grey

Helen Miller

PostPosted: Tue 07 Nov, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well as some one who has seen all of Pamela's projects in person (finally including the
one ya did for Bill) and seeing the progression made, they all look fantastic!!!! I think Pamela
has found her niche.

And I do have to put in my two bits and say that the red leather does look like a couch BUT a
mighty awesome looking couch at that!

So ..... Pamela.....when will mine get started??? ***cheesy grin***

Helen
Pamela Muir

PostPosted: Tue 07 Nov, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Helen Miller wrote:
Well as some one who has seen all of Pamela's projects in person (finally including the
one ya did for Bill) and seeing the progression made, they all look fantastic!!!! I think Pamela
has found her niche.

Blush Ah, shucks! (Thanks girlfriend!)
Quote:

And I do have to put in my two bits and say that the red leather does look like a couch BUT a
mighty awesome looking couch at that!

Razz
Quote:

So ..... Pamela.....when will mine get started??? ***cheesy grin***

As soon as I get my hands on your sword. Wink I'll bring the blue "couch" leather tomorrow night and you can take a look at it.

Pamela Muir

Founder/Lead Instructor

Helen Miller

PostPosted: Wed 08 Nov, 2006 5:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Pamela Muir wrote:
Blush Ah, shucks! (Thanks girlfriend!)

You don't need to thank me, you know it's so true! *BIG HUG* You got plenty of compliments from the two Bs at the cutting party on Saturday Happy

Pamela Muir wrote:

As soon as I get my hands on your sword. Wink I'll bring the blue "couch" leather tomorrow night and you can take a look at it.

WHOOOOOOOPEEEE!!!!

Helen

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Home Spa Treatment
Page 4 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: