Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Conan Atlantean Sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Chevalier Do

PostPosted: Fri 03 Nov, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject: Conan Atlantean Sword         Reply with quote

Hi all... I'm new on this forum and french... so sorry about my poor english.
I would like to have very specific information about the Conan sword.... the Atlantean Sword.

First, why this sword is called Atlantean Sword ? I don't found nothing about this....

Second, there are symbols, runes, design on the steel... is somoene know what meaning they have ??? what does it mean...

Third, I would like to know if someone know something special about this legendary sword.

thanks for all.
Hugo Voisine

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Fri 03 Nov, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you want specific info regarding this sword I suggest you send a mail to its maker, Jody Samson, who works at Albion.
Chevalier Do

PostPosted: Fri 03 Nov, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hugo Voisine wrote:
If you want specific info regarding this sword I suggest you send a mail to its maker, Jody Samson, who works at Albion.

Ok ! thank you very much for this info... I will try to have those informations on the Albion site... thanks ! Big Grin
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 03 Nov, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Conan fans will have to answer your questions.. but here is some more info for those who have not seen this:

Albion's 20th Anniversary Edition
Conan the Barbarian Atlantean Sword

Reveiwed by Patrick Kelly

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
John Cooksey

PostPosted: Fri 03 Nov, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Atlantis was one of the great civilizations of the Age previous to the Hyborian Age, when Conan lived and reigned.
Atlantean civilization was characterized by the highest of magics and a series of brutal conquests, and their civilization stretched from the Old World to the New, straddling the great Ocean.
Supposedly, this sword was pulled from the cold, dead hand of an Atlantean king by Conan himself, in a long-forgotten, unrobbed tomb (Conan the Barbarian movie). I believe this episode is also in the novel "Conan the Barbarian", written by L. Sprague de Camp and Lin Carter, but I am not sure, as I have never read that novelization.

In the Robert E. Howard books, Conan has no special sword, but was himself descended from the Atlanteans, whose offspring survived in the cold highlands of Cimmeria (modern British Isles and Ireland).

As far as I know, the runes are meant to depict the written form of a Pre-Hyborean language, probably Atlantean. In the real world, I have no idea if they mean anything at all, but they are pretty. (smile)
In the movies, Conan is depicted as an illiterate barbarian, who probably could not read the runes anyway.
In the Howard stories, Conan eventually becomes very literate, indeed, but I don't recall him being able to read Atlantean (that generally being considered the province of wizards, priests, and other scholars of the arcane).

I didn't surrender, but they took my horse and made him surrender.
Alex Oster

PostPosted: Fri 03 Nov, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

John Cooksey wrote:
Supposedly, this sword was pulled from the cold, dead hand of an Atlantean king by Conan himself, in a long-forgotten, unrobbed tomb (Conan the Barbarian movie). I believe this episode is also in the novel "Conan the Barbarian", written by L. Sprague de Camp and Lin Carter, but I am not sure, as I have never read that novelization.

The novel is a direct adaptation of the movie, so yes it does happen there as well. However the scene is taken from the short story, "the thing in the crypt" by Robert e Howard. The dead king however decides he wants it back and comes to unlife and fights conan for it.

John Cooksey wrote:
In the Robert E. Howard books, Conan has no special sword, but was himself descended from the Atlanteans, whose offspring survived in the cold highlands of Cimmeria (modern British Isles and Ireland).

Conan is Cimmerian, but his people are located more towards the danish, sweeden, norway area of modern europe. The picts are from the area your thinking of. In the Movie, "Conan the Barbarian", Thulsa doom (played by james Earl Jones), was to be an example of the ancient atlanteans. Dark skin, straight hair, blue eyes, last of his race, steeped in magic, ect... However Conan is just a man. ("...not Gods, not Giants, just men")

John Cooksey wrote:
As far as I know, the runes are meant to depict the written form of a Pre-Hyborean language, probably Atlantean. In the real world, I have no idea if they mean anything at all, but they are pretty. (smile)

The runes were designed by Ron Cobb, the set designer for conan the Barbarian, as being "just some atlantean script". no meaning, just cool.

John Cooksey wrote:
In the movies, Conan is depicted as an illiterate barbarian, who probably could not read the runes anyway. In the Howard stories, Conan eventually becomes very literate, indeed, but I don't recall him being able to read Atlantean (that generally being considered the province of wizards, priests, and other scholars of the arcane).

In the movie, Conan is taken as a small child and raised a slave outside the rlem of civilized men. However as he grew older, "... he was taken to the east, a great prize, where the war masters would teach him the deepest secrets. Language and writing were also made available, the poetry of Kitai, the philosophy of Sung...". The only language ever not haveing been mentioned in his ability was stygian. Howard never mentioned that one.

The last note to be made is that the sword in the photo is the Conan the Destroyer edition. Noticeable by the sharpened langets on the ricasso, and brighter gold coloring on the fittings, and the leather wrapped grip. since the second movies director has a fixation for showing skin and bling, he apparently decided, "the hell with establised fact... lets make everything a flashy hodgepodge of what I think people will remember as Conan-esque!" And in my opinion, went on to ruin a decently estabished begining for a potential serries of 6 films..

But this is just my opinion after a life of being a Conan the Barbarian movie fan.

The pen is mightier than the sword, especially since it can get past security and be stabbed it into a jugular.
This site would be better if everytime I clicked submit... I got to hear a whip crack!
My collection: Various Blades & Conan related
Hisham Gaballa

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Fri 03 Nov, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Is "the thing in the crypt" a Conan story? I have Fantasy Masterworks "The Conan Chronicles" volumes 1 & 2, and I was under the impression that these contained all the Conan stories, but the "the thing in the crypt" isn't there. Does it have another title by any chance?

Thanks,

Hisham
Alex Oster

PostPosted: Fri 03 Nov, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry, that was an early morning post. (Japan time here)

"The thing in the crypt" was a chapter in one of the conan books i have seen here in my collection of goodies:

the book is a collection of seven short stories written by Robert E. Howard, L. Sprague de Camp and Lin Carter ", so i don't know which wrote this piece, but it has a one timer feel to it, and is darker like Howards visions.

Hope that helps.

The pen is mightier than the sword, especially since it can get past security and be stabbed it into a jugular.
This site would be better if everytime I clicked submit... I got to hear a whip crack!
Taylor Ellis

PostPosted: Fri 03 Nov, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alex Oster wrote:
Conan is Cimmerian, but his people are located more towards the danish, sweeden, norway area of modern europe. The picts are from the area your thinking of. In the Movie, "Conan the Barbarian", Thulsa doom (played by james Earl Jones), was to be an example of the ancient atlanteans. Dark skin, straight hair, blue eyes, last of his race, steeped in magic, ect... However Conan is just a man. ("...not Gods, not Giants, just men")

According to Robert E Howard, the Cimmerians (and hence Atlanteans) are the ethnic forebears of the Irish & Highland Scotch gaels. The Anglo-Saxons are a mix of Nordic and Cimmerian blood and the Nords are the ancestors of the modern Scandinavians.
Alex Oster

PostPosted: Sat 04 Nov, 2006 6:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I guess I never got that from what I read, but that might explain Conans black hair and blue eyes. Thats the only thing I wished they had kept 100% original in the film. Its like having a film about Nixon, but using a blonde actor. People will notice.

But back to the original post, the more I see the Destroyer atlantean, the more i like it as well. However, i really don't need two..... yet. Big Grin

Joel Whitmore

PostPosted: Sat 04 Nov, 2006 7:33 am    Post subject: Conan Stories         Reply with quote

Hisham Gaballa wrote:
Is "the thing in the crypt" a Conan story? I have Fantasy Masterworks "The Conan Chronicles" volumes 1 & 2, and I was under the impression that these contained all the Conan stories, but the "the thing in the crypt" isn't there. Does it have another title by any chance?

Thanks,

Hisham

R.E. Howard published the stories in no particular order. However, when Ace published the paperbacks most of us ar eprobably familiar with ( beginning in the 60's I think) they decided to put them in chronologial order. The Conan Chronicles are a recent publication and they decided to pu the stories in order of the original publications by Howard. I think there will be future volumes of T.C.C. so stay tuned or look on E-bay for the old paprebacks. I used to own all of them in the 80's and threw them out thinking surely there would be fancier editions published. Never happened. The Thing in the Crypt is, I believe the fist Conan tale taken in chronological order. Ole R.E. Howard was a weird one and he once said that Conan would appear to him at night and tell the stories to him, which is why they were in no particular order. If you are a fan of Howard's writing, then check out Bran Mak Morn series, Soloman Kane and the Kull stories also. It is like eating rich chocolate; you know it's probably not good for you but you can't resist.

Joel
John Cooksey

PostPosted: Sat 04 Nov, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Conan Stories         Reply with quote

Joel Whitmore wrote:
Hisham Gaballa wrote:

Thanks,

Hisham

R.E. Howard published the stories in no particular order. However, when Ace published the paperbacks most of us ar eprobably familiar with ( beginning in the 60's I think) they decided to put them in chronologial order. The Conan Chronicles are a recent publication and they decided to pu the stories in order of the original publications by Howard. I think there will be future volumes of T.C.C. so stay tuned or look on E-bay for the old paprebacks. I used to own all of them in the 80's and threw them out thinking surely there would be fancier editions published. Never happened. The Thing in the Crypt is, I believe the fist Conan tale taken in chronological order. Ole R.E. Howard was a weird one and he once said that Conan would appear to him at night and tell the stories to him, which is why they were in no particular order. If you are a fan of Howard's writing, then check out Bran Mak Morn series, Soloman Kane and the Kull stories also. It is like eating rich chocolate; you know it's probably not good for you but you can't resist.

Joel

I have the complete set of the 80s-era print Conan stories, in approximate chronological order, volumes 1-12.
A few years ago, I ran onot a yard sale treasure hoard: a great many early 1970s vintage editions of stories about Conan,Bran Mac Morn, Cormac Mac Art, and Solomon Kane, and sundry medieval stories, plus a new treat for me----several Edgar Rice Burroughs short novels. At 50 cents apiece, I bought them all. :-)

Some of the fondest memories of my childhood are cold, nasty winters days spent with my feet propped up on the heart and R.E. Howard book in hand . . . . .

I didn't surrender, but they took my horse and made him surrender.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Conan Atlantean Sword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic