Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > What would the coat of arms be on this blade? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Matt Branch

PostPosted: Wed 11 Oct, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks to Glen, EB, and Chad.
I appreciate you're input. I posted on the spanish language thread on the Sword form International and one of the members saw a similar pattern on a sword in a book, I have not yet heard back about the book title or had an image posted on that thread. I'm trying to find books on swords that would pertain, but not having much luck, I would like to see the book before I buy it but they are very scarce in the Denver Metro area. I've done 100's of searches on line looking for info but not come up with much. Any recomendations on the best book that might help with sword and hilt ID?
I havent found any real info on dates that this style of hilt was made.
I am continuing to use flitz to try to get more of the rust off, there is still a little active rust on the blade and quite a bit on the hilt and the pommel. It seems to take a long time to get a little rust off. But I'm glad I decided to clean the blade, you couldn't see any of the pattern before I started.
How did they etch the pattern on the blade? It seems less deep in some areas than others.
Thanks again for you're help.
Matt
Matt Branch

PostPosted: Mon 16 Oct, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What I have learned to this point.
The eagle on a cactus with a snake in it's beak is the Mexican Coat of arms.
This one is a variant, all the Mexican eagles I have found except one has their wing tips pointing down.
The one exception is the eagle on the Disturnell Treaty Map of 1865 which is close to the same as the eagle on my sword.
I can not find and image of the initals of T P Lunenschloss that were done in cursive by hand, all I have seen are stamped. What does that say to you?
The blade could have been made earlier and decorated later.
The blade is more typical of a Rapier, side sword or peppenheimer than a Mexican calvary dragoon.
I would like to see more blades that are similar to mine, If you have an image please put it here
Thanks
Matt

What did Yoda say?

DO or DO NOT there is no try.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > What would the coat of arms be on this blade?
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: