Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Maori taiha Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Taylor Ellis

PostPosted: Sat 14 Oct, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi adam,
Mate you have nothing to apologise for. I'm sure some expert on the Maori wars could probably tear my points apart!

As an occasional anglophile myself I must admit there doesn't seem to be very much national bias around myArmoury at all. Which is a good thing. It's very easy to say "Maori were far superior to British soldiers", but if they were both formidible, and they were, then surely the Maori's achievements are even more impressive?
Adam Simmonds

PostPosted: Sat 14 Oct, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

hi tyler,
precisely -
the stronger ones enemy, the stronger one has to be oneself, and the skill of ones opponent becomes a mirror for ones own abilities through the course of a competition. anyone who has played sport knows the value and thrill of facing a skillful opponent - and there is surely more honour and experience gained in facing and succumbing to a skillful opponent then in trouncing a weak one, though, of course, in a life and death battle situation, such a philosophy could prove pretty poor consolation!

cheers, adam
Colin F.

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Sun 15 Oct, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Adam,
I've got a copy of the cavalry training manual that the British Army used at the time, but I've not managed to find anything for the infantry, but that isn't saying there wasn't one, just that I haven't found it yet! Laughing Out Loud

In anycase, i didn't mean to dispute the skill of the Maori, and my own opinion that the skill of any warrior/soldier is down to the experience and training that they have had as well as natural ability, has already been stated pretty much by another. I just wanted to say that the skill of the British soldier should not be labelled as inferior when, as has been documented in this thread, there are many examples of the skill by British soldiers, equally as there have been with Moari warriors.

On a vague link, British weapons skill had to stand up to a great many different cultures all around the world and, to my knowledge, has not been comprehensively out classed. That said my knowledge is not the greatest therefore I could well be wrong!!!

anyways, i've enjoyed reading this thread Happy thanks for bringing it up too, it's nice to see more weapons from other cultures, especially ones that aren't often seen.

Colin

Melchett - "In short, a German spy is giving away every one of our battle plans."
Cpt. Darling - "You look surprised, Blackadder."
Edmund - "I cerainly am, sir. I didn't realise we had any battle plans."

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Maori taiha
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: