Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Help, please. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Bernardo Rebello

PostPosted: Sat 14 Oct, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: Help, please.         Reply with quote

Hey guys, first of all i'm sorry for the bad english.

I want to buy a sword, actually my first sword. But i don't know much of it.
I was watching Kingdom of Heaven and i really like one of their swords.
This one: http://www.mwart.com/xq/ASP/pid.2035/qx/productlg.htm

I don't know if it's a good sword. And i wiil be pleased with you guys help me.
Or help me showing another swods that you guys recommend.
I don't know if my post is in right area, if it's not i'm really sorry.
Sorry for the bad english again.

Thanks a lot.
George Hill

PostPosted: Sat 14 Oct, 2006 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: Help, please.         Reply with quote

Bernardo Rebello wrote:
Hey guys, first of all i'm sorry for the bad english.

I want to buy a sword, actually my first sword. But i don't know much of it.
I was watching Kingdom of Heaven and i really like one of their swords.
This one: http://www.mwart.com/xq/ASP/pid.2035/qx/productlg.htm

I don't know if it's a good sword. And i wiil be pleased with you guys help me.
Or help me showing another swods that you guys recommend.
I don't know if my post is in right area, if it's not i'm really sorry.
Sorry for the bad english again.

Thanks a lot.

Bernardo, do you want a weapon, an art object to hang on a wall, or something that feels like a piece of history?

To abandon your shield is the basest of crimes. - --Tacitus on Germania
Jonathan Blair

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Sat 14 Oct, 2006 3:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Welcome Bernardo.
I echo George's question: what purpose do you plan to use the sword for? Decoration? Reenactment? The occasional Renaissance Faire or Halloween party? Western Martial Arts (WMA)? Or just the joy of swinging a "piece of history?" Depending on your needs and how much you are willing to spend is the only way to gauge the responses we can give.
My first recommendation (if you aren't going purely for decoration purposes) is to check out the reviews here: http://www.myArmoury.com/reviews. Lots of people here have trod the path you are starting down and have given their honest opinions on certain swords: use that knowledge. Second, research (if you are looking at putting together a kit). Don't rely on Hollywood to give you an accurate picture of what swords, clothes, and armor people wore during a certain period of time in history. Third, save up and buy the best you can. If that means you have to wait, then be patient. The last thing you want to buy is a $200 sword now that you'll regret buying two years later, when you easily could have waited another couple of months saving up for the purchase and bought a $600 sword that you'll enjoy for a lifetime.

"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." - The Lord Jesus Christ, from The Gospel According to Saint Matthew, chapter x, verse 34, Authorized Version of 1611
Bernardo Rebello

PostPosted: Sat 14 Oct, 2006 5:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi George and Jonathan, thanks for answering.

Actually i want a ''piece of history'' like you said. I want a i sword that feels...''alive'' in my hands. If you know what i mean.
And play with it, practice. Have some fun.
I saw the review and i'm fascinated, so many great swords. I just love the German Bastard sword, but i want a Crusade Era sword, at least now.
And the maximum that i can spend in my sword is $700.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 14 Oct, 2006 7:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

THese are two of the best sources for production weapons.
http://www.arms-n-armor.com/
http://www.albion-swords.com/

The Kingdom of Heaven line is manufactured by Windlass Steel Crafts, of India. They are affordable but less than satisfactory.
Doug Gardner

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 14 Oct, 2006 7:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bernardo Rebello wrote:
Hi George and Jonathan, thanks for answering.

Actually i want a ''piece of history'' like you said. I want a i sword that feels...''alive'' in my hands. If you know what i mean.
And play with it, practice. Have some fun.
I saw the review and i'm fascinated, so many great swords. I just love the German Bastard sword, but i want a Crusade Era sword, at least now.
And the maximum that i can spend in my sword is $700.

Hi Bernardo, and welcome!

Albion was having a "Templar" sale until yesterday... They are usually pretty strict about the end date on their sales, but I suppose it doesn't hurt to ask. Nevertheless, the sale shows several different types of swords appropriate to the era.
http://www.albion-swords.com/albion-sword-news.htm
This might get you started. Several Arms and Armor swords are quite appropriate to the period.

Good luck finding what you want..

Doug Gardner
Bernardo Rebello

PostPosted: Sat 14 Oct, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Patrick and Doug.

I was looking the Albion Swords site and i found an interesting sword and looks very beautiful too.
But unfortunately there are no pictures of the sword, maybe becouse is Limited Edition..Well i don't know.
The sword is called '' The Chevalier'' - http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/ne...ier-xa.htm
Probably you guys already know it, but i was wondering if any of you have seen this sword or have some pictures.

Thanks in advance.
Doug Gardner

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 14 Oct, 2006 8:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bernardo Rebello wrote:
Thanks Patrick and Doug.

I was looking the Albion Swords site and i found an interesting sword and looks very beautiful too.
But unfortunately there are no pictures of the sword, maybe becouse is Limited Edition..Well i don't know.
The sword is called '' The Chevalier'' - http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/ne...ier-xa.htm
Probably you guys already know it, but i was wondering if any of you have seen this sword or have some pictures.

Thanks in advance.

The reason that there are no pictures is because it doesn't exist, yet! It is still in design and development. The drawing you see is the concept drawing. It does look like it will be a very nice piece, once completed. Big Grin

Doug Gardner
Bernardo Rebello

PostPosted: Sat 14 Oct, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Doug Gardner wrote:
Bernardo Rebello wrote:
Thanks Patrick and Doug.

Thanks in advance.

The reason that there are no pictures is because it doesn't exist, yet! It is still in design and development. The drawing you see is the concept drawing. It does look like it will be a very nice piece, once completed. Big Grin

Ohh, i feel stupid right now. hahaeha.
Sorry for that.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 14 Oct, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bernardo,
Welcome to myArmoury. Happy Your budget of $700 puts you in a range where you can buy some pretty fine swords. Albion has about a dozen swords that are $700 or less. Many of them have been reviewed on our reviews page. Arms & Armor has 15 or more. Again, a good number of these weapons have been reviewed here. All of these will be more accurate and of higher quality than any of the Windlass Kingdom of Heaven swords. Both companies make swords appropriate for the Crusade era. Happy hunting!

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Bernardo Rebello

PostPosted: Sat 14 Oct, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes, i saw! Awesome reviews, congratulations Chad.
And thanks again to everybody who came to help me here, thanks for the patience.
Congratulations for the site.
Happy
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sat 14 Oct, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Another website to look at - www.christianfletcher.com - You will see Albion swords there and also Gus Trim swords. The ATrims, as they are called, are more geared towards cutting performance, and they aren't always the most historically accurate swords you can buy. They are very solid swords. Christian Fletcher can change them a bit so that they look great, but that would probably go over your $700.00 budget.

From what you have written, Albion is probably the place for you. I personally recommend the Reeve as a sword that feels alive in your hand.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Help, please.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic