Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Got helmet, need rest... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 08 Oct, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Richard wrote:
Still wondering - what makes the cheaper swords so bad?

Overall lack of quality in design and manufacture.

Lower end swords will not be as carefully made as higher quality examples, nor will the materials from which they're made be as carefully chosen. A sword is a subtly complex thing. Outwardly it may appear to be nothing more than a sharpened piece of metal with a handle on one end. In reality there are many features in play, such as blade geometry, edge geometry, distal and profile taper, nodes of vibration, distribution of mass, etc. All of these things must be understood and even more importantly, how they work in conjunction with each other must also be understood. None of these factors are taken into account in the manufacturing of lower-end swords. Most of them are manufactured by using a photo in a book as an example, if any example is used. They will typically lack all of the finer aspects that separate a so-so replica from a true recreation. If such an item is desired that's fine, this is a hobby not a religion and different people have different priorities. However, if one chooses a lower-end sword they shouldn't fool themselves into thinking they're getting a quality piece of work.
Max von Bargen

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Sun 08 Oct, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Richard Lund wrote:
Still wondering - what makes the cheaper swords so bad?

A lot of them have historically inaccurate designs that are inspired more by fantasy or myths about Medieval swords than by actual historical examples. Many of them are crudely made and finished, many have poor structural integrity (I had a sword that got broken just by swinging it through empty air), many are poorly heat-treated, and many are improperly balanced. Of course, it depends on what you're buying it for. If you're just buying something to hang on your wall, then there are cheaper swords that look historically accurate, but if you're planning to swing it around at all, let alone use it for martial arts training, you should go for something good. I'm not kidding when I say that one $620 sword is worth more than 4 swords that cost that much put together.

For Halloween costumes and wallhangers, though, cheap swords are fine. If you want to start your collection off with something nice and cheap for Halloween, then go for it. But if you're planning to start a serious collection later on, really consider going for one of the higher-end swords. Albion and Arms & Armor (www.arms-n-armor.com) are two companies you can't go wrong with. I wish I'd saved up and started my collection with some of theirs.

Edit: Oops, Patrick and I must have been writing at the same time. Sorry for some repetition.
Aaron J. Cergol

PostPosted: Wed 11 Oct, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Cheaper swords- I don't think they are bad, I just don't like them. I have several reasons for this:
-I'm crazy about authenticity- so most cheap swords are not the most accurate.
-they fall apart
-they are haevy and unable to wield

but then again, I suppose one doesn't buy a cheap sword to practice/cut with.

as for your kit you could also try painting your helm. also you could attempt to make a gambeson (padded clothing worn under armour or as armour itself) and you could get some tight fitting sweat pants, do the leg wrap thing, and maybe modify your moccasins. I agree that a spear for the time being is a better choice as well. and if you have acsess to woodworking tools (scroll saw) you can pretty easily make yourself a simple flat shield.

Best of luck to you, and be sure to post pics. when you are done,

hope this helps,

Aaron
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Wed 11 Oct, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eric Allen wrote:
Richard Lund wrote:
Forgot to ask:
Is it legal in the US to carry a sword of that size?
Any limits, i.e. does it have to be blunt or sheathed or anything else?
And in case laws are different from state to state: How about Minnesota?

Yes, laws vary from state-to-state, but generally, law enforcement does not look too kindly on carrying a "big knife" around. Generally, anything over 9" of blade of so is iffy in public. And since swords are generally MUCH longer than that, I would not reccomend carrying one around in public. Having ir on private property is A-OK anywhere in the states, so long as it is YOUR property, or the owner is OK with it.
technically a blunt sword can be argued to be a "stage prop" and avoid the connundrum, but I would think it would be best not to risk it.

Renaissance faires and similar events are another matter (tecnically, they are private land). Most faires have a "weapons policy," normally, a sword must be kept in a scabbard or sheath and "peace-tied" so it can't be drawn easily. Other weapons have their own requirements.

I'm not sure what it is in the rest of the country, but here in CA the laws are open to a lot of interpretation based upon why, how and where you are. Let me elaborate.

Here you can't carry around in street clothes a "dagger or dirk" but when wearing one in costume at a faire or event, the police won't hassle you. It's now a stage prop. :-)

Likewise, there's no laws against carrying swords or long knives, but you can't carry them concealed if they're a fixed blade. So just put them in the trunk of your car when carrying to the Ren Faire or party where you're dressing up in costume. In costume they're visible, right, so there's no problem with concealed weapons laws.

In California we can carry any folding knife of any length concealed if it isn't a "dagger/dirk", butterfly or auto blade. Fixed blades can be any length as long as they aren't concealed and not a "dagger/dirk". So when asked, you tell the officer that the dagger you are carrying in your pack to the Renaissance Faire is a "stage prop" or "Educational prop" that you plan to display as part of your costume. Helps if they're not sharp too.

The basic rule is that if it isn't a direct threat to the officer or others then you probably won't be hassled unless your a really scummy looking character. Then they probably will hassle you but that's for reasons that I don't intend to get into here. :-(

One other thing, don't depend upon the Police ANYWHERE to be fully familiar on the laws, and don't ASSUME that they do. I've frequently had to correct a police officer because he thought you had to have a folding knife under 4" when in fact the law in this state doesn't state the length, only that it not be a dagger/dirk or automatic (or butterfly). So read up on the laws first if you can. Some local jurisdictions also have their own laws you need to be aware of also. A lot of state Dept. of Justice websites have the full laws available for download. Those you can believe.

Best of luck in your costume,

Bryce

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Got helmet, need rest...
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: