Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Gregs second scabbard. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Mon 09 Oct, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great looking scabbard for a great sword. Do you have a close-up photo of the chape?
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 09 Oct, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
Great looking scabbard for a great sword. Do you have a close-up photo of the chape?

My photo of the chape suffered from a lack of focus so here's one from Raymonds site.
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Mon 09 Oct, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob Burns wrote:
For Scabbard and Belt # 2 that is really something Greg. Sure looks very well done to me! More than a little impressive if you ask me, to be able to do something like this by the 2nd attempt.

Bob

The man certainly has a talent for it! I'm very grateful to Greg for presenting me this scabbard as a gift. I wonder how many more I can get out of him. Laughing Out Loud
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Mon 09 Oct, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Displayed...........................

No, the wall isn't really that ugly. It's actually a dark gold that always seems to come off with a greenish tint in photos.
Jonathon Janusz

PostPosted: Mon 09 Oct, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice display Patrick. All these great scabbards are making me really think I need to start getting after covering at least a few of my blades. . .

Just make sure that belt strap doesn't etch a stripe across the back side of that blade when you're not looking Happy
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Mon 09 Oct, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Beautiful work, Greg, and congratulations, Patrick. I really like the choice of chape and belt fittings. What weight of leather did Greg use on the belt? I note the tapering of the belt to meet the size of the buckle fittings, and I wonder if there is any concern about the fittings pulling out of the leather?
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Ryan Bandics

PostPosted: Mon 09 Oct, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

With all this great looking equipment I'm curious to know how it handles under functional conditions. This "experimental archaeology" is something i've done extensively with French & Indian War gear and it can tell you a lot about the gears functional pluses and flaws. Anyone have any experience with this kind of "experimental archaeology" with medieval equipment?
Bandics
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Mon 09 Oct, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ryan Bandics wrote:
With all this great looking equipment I'm curious to know how it handles under functional conditions. This "experimental archaeology" is something i've done extensively with French & Indian War gear and it can tell you a lot about the gears functional pluses and flaws. Anyone have any experience with this kind of "experimental archaeology" with medieval equipment?
Bandics

Well, I've done quite a bit of running around in armor and cutting things with swords, including this one. What would you like to know specifically?
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Mon 09 Oct, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
Beautiful work, Greg, and congratulations, Patrick. I really like the choice of chape and belt fittings. What weight of leather did Greg use on the belt? I note the tapering of the belt to meet the size of the buckle fittings, and I wonder if there is any concern about the fittings pulling out of the leather?

Thanks Steve. I've been eager to use these particular fittings on a project for a long time. I was glad to get the chance on this one. Greg will correct me if I'm wrong but I think the belt is 4-5 ounce leather (?). The buckle itself is strongly secured and the belt actually matches the profile of the strap end. It doesn't taper continuously so there's plenty of leather there and a strap end isn't a load bearing item anyway but is really just "bling".
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Mon 09 Oct, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jonathon Janusz wrote:
Nice display Patrick. All these great scabbards are making me really think I need to start getting after covering at least a few of my blades. . .

Just make sure that belt strap doesn't etch a stripe across the back side of that blade when you're not looking Happy

Thanks.

I'll just paint the blade black so it won't show. Eek!
Paul Watson

PostPosted: Mon 09 Oct, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great scabbard and belt. Very well done Greg & congratulations on receiving it Patrick. I do not think the scabbard has suffered at all aesthetically speaking, from ending up a darker colour than you originally intended.
I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, but that which it protects. (Faramir, The Two Towers)
Ryan Bandics

PostPosted: Tue 10 Oct, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Well, I've done quite a bit of running around in armor and cutting things with swords, including this one. What would you like to know specifically?

I really didn't have anything specifically in mind per say, I guess I was thinking under prolonged usage conditions. Since we are on the topic of scabbards, things like how do these type scabbards hang /hold up when rained on or in morning dew, in melee conditions(do they trip you up), on horse back (if they were worn as such), what would be used historically to keep a scabbard going and what precautions need to be taken to care for ones scabbard under harsh conditions? These where the type of questions I was wondering about, although not just scabbards in particular. Perhaps this is getting off topic and should be posted as a new entry.
Thanks for the reply
Bandics
George Hill

PostPosted: Tue 10 Oct, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glad to hear it wears well. I suggest that in the future we post images of the sword in the scabbard, and the scabbard worn on it's belt. You know, show how it hangs.
To abandon your shield is the basest of crimes. - --Tacitus on Germania
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Wed 11 Oct, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ryan Bandics wrote:

I really didn't have anything specifically in mind per say, I guess I was thinking under prolonged usage conditions. Since we are on the topic of scabbards, things like how do these type scabbards hang /hold up when rained on or in morning dew, in melee conditions(do they trip you up), on horse back (if they were worn as such), what would be used historically to keep a scabbard going and what precautions need to be taken to care for ones scabbard under harsh conditions? These where the type of questions I was wondering about, although not just scabbards in particular. Perhaps this is getting off topic and should be posted as a new entry.
Thanks for the reply
Bandics

Yes, that might make for an interesting topic in a seperate thread. In years past I've worn armor and all of its ancillary stuff for several days at a time and in various weather conditions. However, I've never done it for a long enough period to encounter serious maintenance issues. Medieval battles weren't often meeting engagements where the opposing forces suddenly came upon one another. There are exceptios to this but by and large both sides usually had the opportunity to form up and leave any extranious gear with the baggage, which would possibly include a scabbard.
Joel Whitmore

PostPosted: Wed 11 Oct, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject: PIcs         Reply with quote

Is it just me or can anyone else not see the photos? The only one I can see the second pic of the chape. Anyone else having this problem?

Joel
Greg Griggs

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 11 Oct, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Steve Grisetti wrote:

Thanks Steve. I've been eager to use these particular fittings on a project for a long time. I was glad to get the chance on this one. Greg will correct me if I'm wrong but I think the belt is 4-5 ounce leather (?). The buckle itself is strongly secured and the belt actually matches the profile of the strap end. It doesn't taper continuously so there's plenty of leather there and a strap end isn't a load bearing item anyway but is really just "bling".

Steve,
Patrick has it right, the belting for this scabbard is 4.5 oz. and the belt doesn't taper at all to the buckle, only the strapend. I had used 6 oz on the first one and found it to be a bit over-done so went with thinner on PK's as per historical findings. Believe me, this leather is tough and I don't think there will be a problem with it holding up. Actually as I worked the leather, I was surprised at how solid it feels. Even with the sword in the scabbard walking around the house to make sure all was holding well, it felt very secure.

Thanks again everyone for the compliments, all are greatly appreciated!

-Greg

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Wed 11 Oct, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nicely done display Patrick! You want to come make some sense outta my uh "situation"? Laughing Out Loud

Bob

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Gregs second scabbard.
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: