Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Swords by E.B. Erickson Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next 
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 28 Sep, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: Swords by E.B. Erickson         Reply with quote

Only a few short years ago, we in the the Internet arms and armour community were fortunate enough to have E.B. Erickson join us. This joining of ways happened by pure chance due to our good friend Thomas McDonald. The details of that meeting can be found in ElJay's small bio page I put together.

After seeing his work in Mac's photos, I decided quickly I had to contact ElJay to see if he'd be willing to add me as a customer. He agreed and as a result, I've been able to start a collection of his work. It's my hope to continue to be his customer and I've tried to get into his work queue each year since.

I currently have five EBE pieces in my collection and I would like to share them with you. There are a couple new ones just acquired in the last couple months here. I'll be doing photo-shoots of these items and will publish them along with complete stats and details in the next several weeks.

The diversity of E.B. Erickson's work is what shines through in a group photo such as this:

Top to bottom:

E.B. Erickson Germanic Basket-hilt
This ia very unique "continental" basket-hilt. The construction methodology is very much like that of a schiavona, having each bar only attached to the cross and knuckle-bow. This piece was based on a few different swords, including an antique in EBE's own collection and another antique found at the Museum of Border Arms and Armour, Scotland. This hilt is mounted on a blade made by E.B. Erickson.

E.B. Erickson SW11 Basket-hilt
This is an early form British basket-hilt identified as SW11 found in the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland. The antique, like many basket-hilts of the era, has had its quillons removed, likely to make it easier to carry and perhaps aid handling at the sacrifice of some versatility. I asked to have this replica created to show how the sword may have appeared as it left the cutler's shop, quillons in-tact. I'm impressed with the result. The blade is a custom-created one made by Del Tin.

E.B. Erickson Stirling hilt with Silver Inlay and Engraving
This magnificent piece was created for Thomas McDonald, who has recently come into circumstances requiring him to liquidate his own collection. It is based on an original sword (LA 22) by John Allan of Stirling, circa 1716 which can be seen in John Wallace, Scottish Swords & Dirks. The highly-detailed hilt is engraved and inlaid with silver, contrasting nicely with the blued steel. The final presentation is wonderful and really captures the feeling of original hilts. The back-blade is a highly-modified Del Tin blade with its wide fuller etched with the signature "ANDRIA FERARA", a nod to blades of the past.

E.B. Erickson Germanic Basket-hilt
Another "continental" basket-hilt variety, this sword is a result of a collaborative effort between E.B. Erickson and Angus Trim. The sword is based on an antique in ElJay's own collection. This style of hilt was quite common and this replica is a good representation of the type. It has a tight wire-wrapped grip and long flaring quillons. The blade is a special ATrim back-blade designed for this hilt and roughly based on the original's design.

E.B. Erickson Schiavona
This is a new piece for me. I've only had it for a month or two. It has a Type 2 schiavona hilt and is modeled after an example in Oakeshott's European Weapons and Armour: From the Renaissance to the Industrial Revolution. It has a Del Tin blade with a wide fuller highly-modified by ElJay, giving this sword a lot of blade presence and wonderful handling properties.

Schiavona, Stirling hilt, and SW11 shown below:

G.L. Williamson

PostPosted: Thu 28 Sep, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

All I can say is:

Exquisite Surprised
Gordon Frye

Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 28 Sep, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

NICE! Thank you for posting those pictures and the background on them, Nathan. Those are some VERY nice swords.

Allons!

Gordon

"After God, we owe our victory to our Horses"
Gonsalo Jimenez de Quesada
http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/
http://historypundit.blogspot.com/
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 29 Sep, 2006 12:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Damn! That's quite a group. Very, very nice Nathan.
Chris Goerner

PostPosted: Fri 29 Sep, 2006 5:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan,

WOW! I've seen almost all of these swords photographed individually at one time or another, but seeing the grouping together is something altogether different. You and I have recently chatted about how ElJay's work really captures the look and feel of an original. But seeing this great variety of hilts together shows just how skilled this master craftsman is. One might hope to be proficient at getting one hilt type "right" with years of study and practice, but ElJay seems to be capable of doing it all.

Being the proud owner of 2 EBE swords myself (and I hope those won't be the last, if ElJay is reading this Wink ) I can second Nathan's comments about his skill. What's more, I've found him to be as humble and unassuming as he is talented -- a pleasure to deal with.

Wonderful collection, Nathan. Thanks for sharing. BTW, your photos are fantastic!

Chris

Sic Semper Tyranus
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Fri 29 Sep, 2006 5:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Having the good fortune of meeting the man in person, seeing the silver inlay basket he created for Mac
before it was put together and viewing Chris G.'s - Eljay pieces up close, I too ,can echo everyone's accolades
toward his excellent workmanship.

Thanks Nathan........

Cheers,

Bill

Roanoke Sword Guilde

roanokeswordguilde@live.com
"I was born for this" - Joan of Arc
Justin King
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Fri 29 Sep, 2006 6:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks very much for sharing...the SW11 hilt is one I have admired a lot, it is possibly the most beautiful basket hilt I have ever seen.
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Fri 29 Sep, 2006 7:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing these, Nathan. You have a beautiful selection of a great craftsman's work. I just acquired an EBE piece of my own, and I hope there will be more in the future to keep it company.
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Terry Crain

PostPosted: Fri 29 Sep, 2006 7:29 am    Post subject: Swords by E.B. Erickson         Reply with quote

What a fantastic collection of the works of a master craftsman!

Having just recieved the beaknosed ribbon-hilted sword with Kilij blade, I am feeling very grateful for having had the opportunity to obtain of his works (thanks again, Mac and Nathan).

Each piece is truly inspirational.

Thanks Nathan for giving all of us the chance to be educated by detailed observation.

Short of a timemachine or ulimited travel and access to museums across the world (neither of which, unfortunately, I possess at the moment), you (and of course Mr. Erickson) are providing the best source for expanding our knowledge and appreciation of these weapons.

Simply wonderful!!!

Terry Crain
A/K/A
Donal Grant

Honor, not Honors!
Lee Bradbury

PostPosted: Fri 29 Sep, 2006 7:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What a superb collection, and what surperb workmanship.
I have only just started collecting swords, with an Armour Class 'S' type hilt as my first sword, I just wish I could afford to make my collection anywhere near the one shown; sadly, my wedding has to come first (doesn't she realise how important swords are?).
Sean Belair
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 29 Sep, 2006 8:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

beutiful hilt work. the germanic baskethilt at the top is stunning.
i have to add, that the pommels on these top three are spectacular
Greg Griggs

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 29 Sep, 2006 8:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've heard a lot of great stuff about ElJay's work, and have seen a few pics, but wow-wee those photos take the cake. I have been in lust with that Stirling basket hilt for some time. Grats on such a sweet collection.
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
Henrik Bjoern Boegh

PostPosted: Fri 29 Sep, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow! Seeing these wonderful pieces in one picture is something new! Big Grin
Looks stunning!
Eljay's swords really look amazing, I wish I could handle them. Well, I hopefully will get to handle an Eljay sword next year, or so. Wink

Cheers,
Henrik

Constant and true.
David Stokes

PostPosted: Fri 29 Sep, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I dont know if its ok to show other works of Eljays, but i figured id give it a try......
this is a customized scottish "S Hilt" basket he made me mounted on a ATrim backsword blade.... I browned it myself, i also polished the blade a bit on a buffing wheel to clean it up a bit....

Attachment: 35.58 KB
browned.JPG

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 29 Sep, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David, I was hoping others would show their EBE swords, too Happy

I love that sword of yours. Very nice. The browning is a good touch, too.

I need to add a browned s-hilt to my collection! (hint)

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Martin Wilkinson

PostPosted: Fri 29 Sep, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

From what i've seen EBE is an amazingly talented craftsman, and one day, i hope to own a piece of his work.

Nathan, congratulations on such a stunning collection.

"A bullet you see may go anywhere, but steel's, almost bound to go somewhere."

Schola Gladiatoria
Henrik Bjoern Boegh

PostPosted: Fri 29 Sep, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan, I really think you should get another early English/Scottish basket hilt from Eljay, perhaps an SW11 with ribbons rather than bars. Wink By the way, how does that silver inlayed Stirling sword handle? One of my favourite swords ever, judging by aesthetics.

David, your sword looks lovely. That browning you did gave it a campaigned look, which I really like. I also like the overall look of it unsheathed, because the blade reminds me so much of those "rhyming" blades.

Cheers,
Henrik

Constant and true.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 29 Sep, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Henrik Bjoern Boegh wrote:
Nathan, I really think you should get another early English/Scottish basket hilt from Eljay, perhaps an SW11 with ribbons rather than bars. Wink By the way, how does that silver inlayed Stirling sword handle? One of my favourite swords ever, judging by aesthetics.

I agree. If ElJay agrees, I'd like another early British basket-hilt to add to the collection. I know just the one. It's not a ribbon-hilt, but rather a very interesting variant comprised of bar-work. Other than that, and if ElJay's a bit tired of British hilts, I can think of a million pieces of "continental" origin that I'd love just as much. Either way, I'm going to have to wait more than a year, as his queue this year was already filled.

I haven't had much time with the silver-inlayed Stirling yet. It arrived just a couple days ago and I haven't taken it outside for a good swing. I'd say, by first impressions, that it has quite a lot of blade presence, in spite of its rather typical point of balance of just over four (4) inches. I rather liked it--no, I like it quite a bit--but I have not yet gotten a feel for its dynamic qualities just yet.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Johan S. Moen

PostPosted: Sat 30 Sep, 2006 3:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Superb collection Nathan! That germanic basket hilt(the one on the top) is really something Big Grin ElJays work is really in a class of its own, to bad I do not have a legitimate reason to buy any baskethilts at the moment (wrong period, and I just bought a kettlehat and a dagger from Russell Thomas). The Stirling hilt is also really nice, will we get to see some closeups of the hilt when you add the sword to your collections page?

Anyhow, my compliments to both owner and maker of these fine swords! Happy

Johan Schubert Moen
Thomas Hoogendam

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Sat 30 Sep, 2006 3:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan, you really know have to make a man envious. Big Grin David, I still love that S-Hilt.

I'm still waiting for my Proto-Mortuary by Eljay. It's at Angus Trim at the moment. Been waiting for over a year now, but because the people responsible for heattreating Gus' blades have made a real mess of things, and Gus injured himself twice I believe, my piece was sadly delayed. Shouldn't be long now.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Swords by E.B. Erickson
Page 1 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: