Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Thoughts on the Albion Thegn Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Kenton Spaulding

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Wed 27 Sep, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: Thoughts on the Albion Thegn         Reply with quote

Today I had the pleasure of getting my hands on my second Albion sword, the Thegn. All I can say is wow, actually I could probably say a lot more than that, so here I go. What a light little monster she is. It feels almost weightless in the hand, but at the same time, has a balance point somewhere out around 5" so it should be a good cutting sword as well. Haven't had the opportunity to cut with it yet, however, tomorrow, if the weather is decent, I probably will. Boy this sword feels nice. I remember back in February commenting on my Albion Gaddhjalt, saying how light and lively it felt (compared to my Windlass Viking sword, that is) and was amazed at how a big piece of steel could feel so good. Well, the Thegn puts the Gaddhjalt to shame. Of course, I realize these are vastly different swords, heck, the Gaddhjalt blade is about half and inch longer than the entire Thegn. Now, not only do I have a good idea of what a light quick Anglo-Saxon/Viking blade feels like, but I also have a reference point for my Gaddhjalt, which gives me a better read on my "old girl" as well. The Gaddhjalt really is a big, mean brute of a sword (feels like it wants to bash you over the head), whereas the Thegn is a bit more dainty (carve a Christmas ham perhaps) although this is not to say the Thegn doesn't have some meat on its bones. The nice wide, fat, wide-fullered blade lends this little fireball plenty of pop. I couldn't be happier right now.

Also, the Thegn is very attractive, more so in person than on the 'net. The proportions are wonderful, to say the least, and the twisted silver wire adds a great bit of detail...this is a very classy looking sword.

I wasn't planning on buying a Thegn (planned on a Castellan), however, when I saw a great bargain in the marketplace I had to jump on it...boy, am I glad I did.

Also, I would quickly like to that Brett Stark for the excellent service he gave me in purchasing this sword, I highly recommend this guy.

Thanks for reading this ramble (if you did Big Grin ) I'm on a wee little adrenaline high right now!

Kenton
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Thu 28 Sep, 2006 4:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations, Kenton. I have always liked the look of the Thegn. Let us know how your cutting experiments go.
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Thu 28 Sep, 2006 6:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Of all the Viking type Swords I've handled the Thegn has been the nicest. That will probably continue to be the case until my custom type L shows up. Good pickup on your part.

You can read a review here if you like...

http://www.tritonworks.com/albion.htm

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Thomas Jason

PostPosted: Thu 28 Sep, 2006 7:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey dats mine!

And I agree 100% Russ, the Thegn is the Crown Jewel in the Albion Viking line.
Hugo Voisine

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Thu 28 Sep, 2006 7:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Hey dats mine!

And I agree 100% Russ, the Thegn is the Crown Jewel in the Albion Viking line.

Anyone handled the Huskarl or the Hersir ? I've heard a lot of praise concerning the Thegn but close to nothing concerning those two.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 28 Sep, 2006 8:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hugo Voisine wrote:

Anyone handled the Huskarl or the Hersir ? I've heard a lot of praise concerning the Thegn but close to nothing concerning those two.

Try here for info on the Hersir: http://www.myArmoury.com/review_alb_hers.html

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Thoughts on the Albion Thegn
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic