Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Sep 18: myArmoury.com news and updates Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  

Considering all of this week's latest additions, please rate the quality of our efforts.
Excellent
82%
 82%  [ 46 ]
Very Good
16%
 16%  [ 9 ]
Good
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Fair
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Poor
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 56

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 18 Sep, 2006 2:17 am    Post subject: Sep 18: myArmoury.com news and updates         Reply with quote

Today's update:

Man of War:
Edward III, King of England
An article by Ted Hitchens

The Battle of
Crécy
An article by Jonathan Blair

Albion Armorers Crécy Sword

A hands-on review by Chad Arnow

As always, you can see our Complete History of Updates listed right from our home page.
David Etienne

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Mon 18 Sep, 2006 2:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm a proud owner of an Albion Crécy and I've always been interested by the Hundred Years War (especially the period between Crécy and the Black Prince's death) so, for me, this update is a big hit !

Thanks to all and keep up the good work !

Cheers,

David

P.S. My avatar is a detail of a gold coin minted in Aquitaine in the name of the Black Prince.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 18 Sep, 2006 6:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

With this update group, we welcome a new author: Jonathan Blair. Jonathan's article on the Battle of Crecy inspired my article on the Battle of Poitiers and was the basis for a new series on important battles (more installments to come). I'm excited to see Jonathan's article published, and it was a pleasure to work with him. Thanks Jonathan! Happy Ted's article gives us a second published installment in our Man of War series, which is great to see as well. Ted, it's always fun working with you.

As folks may have noticed, we are creating new series and adding breadth to our publication efforts. The battle series and Man of War series give us background info and context to the study of weapons. They also happen to be articles that are quite author-friendly. Happy I'd encourage people to contact us via the information on this page if they want to help us add to these series or if they want to write any article.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Matt Phillips

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Mon 18 Sep, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Absolutely fantastic stuff this week! I've become a huge fan of the battle series and the man of war series. Kudos to Ted, Jonathan, and Chad on very nice works.
Matt

"Mine honour is my life; both grow in one; take honour from me and my life is done." William Shakespear
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Tue 19 Sep, 2006 7:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wonderful - or should I say "Excellent" - work all around, once again!

One thing that really stands out for me, as a media arts student, is the stunning photography featured in the reviews - the Albion weapons in particular are really done justice, much more so than the (already quite nice) pictures on their own site.

"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Eric Spitler

PostPosted: Tue 19 Sep, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As the owner of a Crecy, I'm very happy to finally see a review of this awesome sword! I was considering sending mine to you guys just so someone could do one. Nice work! Happy
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 19 Sep, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eric,
Glad you liked it. The review had been written for a little while, it was just waiting on friends to publish it with. Happy

Mikko,
Thanks for the kind words. The Crecy photoshoot wasn't one of my best. Fortunately, I know some guy in San Francisco who is a really good photo fixer. Happy We try to do our best as non-professional photographers to show many different angles that normally don't get featured even on the Maker's sites. It's nice to know it's appreciated.

Matt,
Thanks! Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Tue 19 Sep, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I very much enjoy the mix of articles between history and reviews. Thanks, folks, for some well-written articles.
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 19 Sep, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
I very much enjoy the mix of articles between history and reviews. Thanks, folks, for some well-written articles.

I agree it gives some context to the weapons articles and adds dimensions and depth to the information available on this site.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Tue 19 Sep, 2006 10:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice articles. I think it is good for these sort of things to help people see new things and ideas and keep the love of arms and armour in history growing.

RPM
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Tue 19 Sep, 2006 10:39 pm    Post subject: The Battle of Crécy         Reply with quote

Great article! The layout was great for getting a good understanding of the battle itself and the context leading to the Battle itself. Very nice clear background of the battle and a good breif explaination of the origins of the Hundred Years War (somewhat complicated in its own right!). Very good use of sources for the article as well. Familiar with them all and very appropriate. The map, illustrations and other artwork with it are very well chosen and I felt over all a great article!

One thing that could have been useful would have been a few more sources. Andred Ayton wrote a great book on the Battle of Crecy a few years back and it is worth a read for those who are inspired by the article in interest. His book is very,very detailed and gives a good expliantion of battle tactics of the time, troop types, weapons etc. Over all agood read. There are many other great crecy books out. Perhaps I should get them up on my favorite books?

One point that perhaps could have been addresses is the uncertainty of cannons on the field. A whole group of historians has debated this and there are two reasons why. There exist only a small number (2 I believe) of sources that recount this event at the battle. One is Froissart, not in his earlier editions of Chronicles, (there are a good number of them) but in his edition that came out in the 1370's or 80's. In his earlier I think 3 he never mentions cannons. There is a italian who is contemporary with the battle but it would seem very strange if he had directly witnesses the battle as I do not think left italy around this time. His account is also vastly different from all the other ones. I think it sounds like propaganda to expalin how th ebest mercinary force in Christiandom got totally thumped by a underdo-newbie. Also sounds more like italian warfare than english at this time, but that could give more clout that the English perhaps were toying with them.
One thing that seems out of sync. If there had been rain it would seem probable the cannons would not have fired. At this time cannons took a good while to load. You had to have hte loam set and deal the gunpowder of it would not have any force (the explosive gases would just leak out). So if it had rained this devises would get wet and as often happened until the began covering the powder would have made the cannons infunctional.

A great article I recommend it for a good read when you have around a half hour. Well done!

RPM
Max von Bargen

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Sat 30 Sep, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just finished reading all of the articles. The authors did a great job with interesting subject material as usual!

Keep it up, guys!

Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Sep 18: myArmoury.com news and updates
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic