myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Questions about Illusion Armoring Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Mon 11 Sep, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Marc-Antoine Jean wrote:
...If you don't want to spend too much money on a beautiful helm you shuld take a look on www.illusionarmoring.com...

The offerings at the Illusion Armoring site certainly look nice. I also seem to recall favorable mention of his Roman Gallic H helm somewhere. Do you have any of his work? And, if so, perhaps you could tell us something about it and post photos?

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 11 Sep, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm also very interested in hearing any feedback on Illusion Armoring (which should probably be the topic of another thread), particularly this helmet.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Mon 11 Sep, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Too bad Firestryker is still offline. Be interesting to get opinions from some that know regarding quality, accuracy, and construction. Since I know nothing of substance about Armour, its always hard for me to evaluate anything.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Mon 11 Sep, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

if i may post to this? my wife bought me a shield boss once form him. a year and a half later with no emails, phone calls, returned calls, letters etc she recieved it out of the blue after they took her money at the begining and gave her a delivery date. they are currently moveing agian to washington state i believe and a lot of people on the armour archive are upset for the delayes. illusion is famous for non returned calls/emails and late deliverys

the helmet mentioned a friend of mine had. it was very heavy (sca helmet) but it looked out of sorts compaired to originals and other reproductions. the lines were "off" that being said on the custom page you can see another friend of mine's gothic suit which is nice.
Gordon Frye

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Mon 11 Sep, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've got the Elizabethan breast-and-back with tassets from Illusion which I acquired in a trade with a friend. He wasn't happy with the fit, but since I'm smaller than he, I could make it work via some "Old World Craftsmanship". I also had to re-set the attachment rivets for the tassets, as when I reduced the girth of the corselet they hung wrong.

Allan Senefelder filled in a strange, deep scoop in the top of the backplate for me, which was perfect for popping the gorget out of; then made me a gorget and pauldrons to complete the set. Now the whole composite armour works quite well together, and in fact I quite successfully jousted in the set yesterday. I would however still like to add sliding gussets to the arm cut-outs of the breastplate, as it doesn't come over far enough (in tandem with my pauldrons) to completely cover my buff-coat., but that would no doubt solve the problem, I should think.

One thing Allan said about the breastplate was that with all of the compound curve in it, it ought to be VERY strong. I'm pretty happy with it all in all.

(Interesting how I'm managing to link both the Mercenary's Tailor thread and this one together again, ain't it? Big Grin )

Allons!

Gordon

"After God, we owe our victory to our Horses"
Gonsalo Jimenez de Quesada
http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/
http://historypundit.blogspot.com/
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Mon 11 Sep, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have seen a number of his works but never purchased one myself. I think his armour looks good and is closer to historic pieces out there (the one in the picture looking like the one from churburg with some decoration) than some but weight-wise it should be remembered he makes armour primarily for SCA. This makes your helmets usually of 12-10 gauge (which per a few armets I looked at a few weeks back is not terribly improbable historically). If you want lighter stuff I believe he will do it. Since his move he has not kept up with all the emails and mail with customers but this is the first time I have heard of illusion haivng this issue in the decade I have known of them. Even without the move he is usually quite backlogged and has a long wait (I think I remember at one point hearing he had a two year wait) but in his new place it may perhaps be less of an issue as before he had problems with people around him claiming he was unallowed to work on armour in the place he lived and now he may have more freedom in his work.

RPM
Todd Eriksen

Reading list: 14 books

PostPosted: Mon 11 Sep, 2006 11:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've dealt with Illusion for a few years now and have mixed feelings. I ordered their Italian harness and it fits me wonderfully, price, fit and accuracy were much to my pleasure. Ordered a bevor later and the fit was horrible. Sometimes they respond to emails, sometimes they don't. Hard to know what to expect, but I must say that my dealings were overall a success as I'm very proud of the Italian harness.
Ich Dien
Chuck Russell

PostPosted: Tue 12 Sep, 2006 5:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Randall Moffett wrote:
I have seen a number of his works but never purchased one myself. I think his armour looks good and is closer to historic pieces out there (the one in the picture looking like the one from churburg with some decoration) than some but weight-wise it should be remembered he makes armour primarily for SCA. This makes your helmets usually of 12-10 gauge (which per a few armets I looked at a few weeks back is not terribly improbable historically). If you want lighter stuff I believe he will do it. Since his move he has not kept up with all the emails and mail with customers but this is the first time I have heard of illusion haivng this issue in the decade I have known of them. Even without the move he is usually quite backlogged and has a long wait (I think I remember at one point hearing he had a two year wait) but in his new place it may perhaps be less of an issue as before he had problems with people around him claiming he was unallowed to work on armour in the place he lived and now he may have more freedom in his work.

RPM

do a search on the archive. seriously. i have nothing against the company and i wish them well and hope they make lots of money. but they have a serious problem with lag time, and respondings
Chad Sonderberg

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Tue 12 Sep, 2006 6:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is a review for Illusion Armoring from Arador's Review Section.

Quote:
Updated 6/3/03
Number of Reviewers- 4

Illusion Armoring offers historical armour and SCA sport plate armour.

There is no available information on current waiting time for their armour (6 months has been cited in the past), but delivery of non-in-stock, custom items has occasionally had lapses in accurate scheduling. The armoury has greatly improved on its previous communication issues, becoming more prompt with customer inquiries.

Reviews of quality have been mixed, ranging from total happiness in most cases to total disappointment in a few, though recent reviews have been more positive than negative.

Illusion's reputation among their customers for their service, reliability, and craftsmanship receives high overall marks.

A.C.S.

Lebend mit Ehre, Sterben Sie mit Dignität.
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 12 Sep, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gordon, I can gusset the B plate for you, shoot me an email.
Gordon Frye

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Tue 12 Sep, 2006 9:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Allan;

DONE! Thanks! I shall be happy to oblige, LOL! Big Grin

Allons!

Gordon

"After God, we owe our victory to our Horses"
Gonsalo Jimenez de Quesada
http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/
http://historypundit.blogspot.com/
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Tue 12 Sep, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you all for the replies.

The feedback I've received has been 60/40, at best 50/50 so I think I'll pass on Illusion Armoring. My first choice for a helmet in this style is Peter Fuller of Medieval Reproductions. However, I thought I'd look around for a cheaper alternative. It's looking more and more like I'll just pony up the funds and go with Peter when the time comes.
Chuck Russell

PostPosted: Tue 12 Sep, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

honestly for sallets. Best Armoury, Armurerie du Duché, Patrick Thaden, Tom Justice, and Jiri (cant remember his last name but he jsut posted a breastplate here) make some of the best sallets i've seen, handled and worn on my head.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 12 Sep, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick, I would add this maker to the list: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...et++salade

François L' Archevèque: I saw his German raised Sallet up close and it's top quality work.

The thread has contact information and links to Photos of his work.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Marc-Antoine Jean

PostPosted: Tue 12 Sep, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Francois L'Archeveque was the guy who made the exquisite sallets from Armurerie du Duché. He is no longer part of that shop now and work as an independant. It should be interrested to contact him now, his prices had just dropped down.

One of my friend has dealt with Illusion in the past years and he was really satisfied. You can take a look the the photos there
http://cf.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/rivardjf/alb.../my_photos
His sallet is really well made for a 400$ one. The shape is great, the weight also. It was a great purchase. Unfortunately I know some people had problems with them.

We also dealt with Arma Bohemia in the past (www.armabohemia.cz) they are distributors of some great Czetch craftmen. We bought an italian export sallet http://www.armabohemia.cz/imgnew/armures/helmy/helma4v.jpg
The piece is really well done. Beautiful shape, made of two 16ga pieces welded in the center. The fitting of the visor is extraordinary tight. It was a great purchase for 450$ (in N America and western Europe getting such a great piece will not be under 700$). Business with Arma Bohemia is really easy, the only negative point is that Paypal is not available in Czk Republic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 12 Sep, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chuck Russell wrote:
honestly for sallets. Best Armoury, Armurerie du Duché, Patrick Thaden, Tom Justice, and Jiri (cant remember his last name but he jsut posted a breastplate here) make some of the best sallets i've seen, handled and worn on my head.

I think you're confusing two armourers. There is a Jiri Klepac (http://www.armour.cz/) whose work has been reviewed on this site. There is also Stanislav Prosek (http://www.mac-armour.cz/) who just posted a breastplate for sale. From the pictures I've seen, both do fine work. Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Chuck Russell

PostPosted: Wed 13 Sep, 2006 2:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

ya maybe i did. both do really good work.
Carl Goff

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Thu 14 Sep, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Anyone have experience with their bascinets? I'd kill (well, not literally) for a good cheap one, and Illusion offers 12 ga, which I haven't seen anywhere else.
Oh, East of sands and sunlit gulf, your blood is thin, your gods are few;
You could not break the Northern wolf and now the wolf has turned on you.
The fires that light the coasts of Spain fling shadows on the Eastern strand.
Master, your slave has come again with torch and axe in his right hand!
-Robert E. Howard
Marc-Antoine Jean

PostPosted: Fri 15 Sep, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't l,ike Illusion's bascinet, don't like the shape, but it is just a question of taste...
I think you should not get a cheap indian one or one wich looks like something that looks a little like....
Take your time, raise the funds and get a great one. You will not have to change in 3 years, it wil be a lifetime purchase. With a great armourer you'll have service, they have the way to take care of you, and make you 100% satisfied.
For the best satisfaction take a look to William Hurt work - www.ageofarmour.com , Patrick Thaden - www.thadenarmory.com
or Francois L'Archevêque (wich I consider as tha best rate price/quality) he can reach the two other quality - Franklemalade@hotmail.com

You are too serious when it is time to pay for swords, just be that serious when getting armour pieces (O:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Questions about Illusion Armoring
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic