Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New cover for the St. Maurice Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Thu 14 Sep, 2006 6:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Greyson,

You should be able to see this one up close at the Great Plains Ren. Faire at the end of the month.

I was really hoping Greg would bring it. I want to get a closer look at this piece. And of course, if your Big Johnsson and its scabbard were there, I could probably be convinced to look at that, as well. Big Grin

I will bring my Poitier core with me. My plan is to glue the slats together this weekend and I hope to have the exterior shaping done (or at least close), but I doubt I will have any leather (which I still need to order) on it by then.

-Grey

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
Greg Griggs

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 14 Sep, 2006 6:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Geez, now I really am blushing. Honestly there are so many little things that I know could have been done better. PK can tell you that I was really shy about posting pictures of my work and only his and Linda's needling made me do it. Grey, I am bringing it to Wichita, so you can see it in person and know that you can do just as well without a sweat. Wink
Al thanks for noticing the tooling work I did. That, I was rather proud of. As for the leather weights I used 2.5 oz for the scabbard and 5.5 oz for the belting. I would love to have used around a 4 oz elk for the belting but that isn't the easiest stuff to find and is expensive as...well, you know. On the seam I used the two needle method, starting from the tip. Learned several things, guessed correctly on a few tricks, and managed to make a nice seam. (Yep, I was one lucky SOB!) Here are a few in-progress shots showing the cross-section from the throat and the sewing.
Thanks again everyone for all the compliments. Fires me up to continue refining the process, and having fun as well!!!

Attachment: 30.35 KB
2006_09090001.JPG
Finished core ready for covering

Attachment: 12.66 KB
2006_09090005.JPG
Throat shot

Attachment: 16.68 KB
2006_09090007.JPG
Note the two needles - No blood!!!

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
Kel Rekuta

PostPosted: Thu 14 Sep, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Outstanding! Doubly so for a first attempt. Cool

A little research and planning makes a project so much easier, doesn't it?

My compliments on a job well done. Your next scabbards will be most impressive, I'll warrant.

Cheers!
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 14 Sep, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greg,
That is a fine scabbard. For your next one, you be able to shave a little more off the core still, especially the edges. Below are pictures of the core Aaron Schnatterly made for my Sovereign scabbard. The top picture was already pretty thin and looks similar in thickness to yours. He then planed it some more to make the bottom picture.

I don't know how thick it is off the top of my head; I'll try to get a measurement in the next few days.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 14 Sep, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:

I don't know how thick it is off the top of my head; I'll try to get a measurement in the next few days.

As a followup, I just took the calipers to the scabbard. I measure two places and both were just under .1 inches thick.

Happy

ChadA

Greyson Brown

PostPosted: Fri 15 Sep, 2006 6:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Chad Arnow wrote:

As a followup, I just took the calipers to the scabbard. I measure two places and both were just under .1 inches thick.

Is that a measurement from the inside of the core to the outside (i.e. the wall of one slat) or is that front to back of the whole scabbard (both slats together)? I know my NextGen Poitier is .227 inches thick at the guard and .095 at 1/2 inch from the tip. I would think the Soveriegn wouldn't be too wildly different, so having a scabbard that is less than .1 inch thick in total just doesn't seem quite possible.

-Grey

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 15 Sep, 2006 6:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greyson Brown wrote:

Is that a measurement from the inside of the core to the outside (i.e. the wall of one slat) or is that front to back of the whole scabbard (both slats together)? I know my NextGen Poitier is .227 inches thick at the guard and .095 at 1/2 inch from the tip. I would think the Soveriegn wouldn't be too wildly different, so having a scabbard that is less than .1 inch thick in total just doesn't seem quite possible.

-Grey

That's the thickness of one slat (I checked both) measured at the top, so it's the wood only, not the leather, and it was measured by placing one jaw of the calipers inside the scabbard and one on the outside. The Sovereign's blade by itself is thicker at the base than .1 inch, so it's obviously not the thickness of the entire scabbard. Happy

Happy

ChadA

Greyson Brown

PostPosted: Fri 15 Sep, 2006 6:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Okay, that is what I figured it had to be, but it's still early, and may brain has not been my greatest ally this week. Maybe I should take up coffee drinking....

-Grey

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 15 Sep, 2006 6:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greyson Brown wrote:
Okay, that is what I figured it had to be, but it's still early, and may brain has not been my greatest ally this week. Maybe I should take up coffee drinking....

-Grey

Funny, I just gave up all caffinated beverage drinking. Happy Maybe that's why I'm not explaining myself very well recently.

Happy

ChadA

Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 15 Sep, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Greyson Brown wrote:

-Grey

Funny, I just gave up all caffinated beverage drinking. Happy Maybe that's why I'm not explaining myself very well recently.

Gee, I like expressos and the occasional Turkish coffee: No such thing as too much caffeine or TOO STRONG coffee for me. Razz Oh, and I can go have a nice nap even if I have one or more of these before going to bed. Laughing Out Loud

And if I don't have any coffee for a few days I don't get any withdrawal symptoms ? Which is odd as most people get headaches when they don't get their caffeine FIX.

Greg: Congratulations again about the quality of your work, but I am curious about how much experience you already had with other kinds of leather work and precision wood working.

Apart from scabbards would you be interested in doing other leather and/or wood projects ? ( Pouches, belts etc .... )

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Last edited by Jean Thibodeau on Fri 15 Sep, 2006 1:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Greg Griggs

PostPosted: Fri 15 Sep, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean,
I've had a wee bit of woodworking experience in the past. Started out watching my father do gun stocks as a gun smith (his side business) while I was growing up. Then did quite a bit of odds and ends for a number of years, mainly for myself and friends. Unfortunately I gave away all my old tools about 7 years ago and most of those things are hard to come by now. As for leather working.......new experience for me, but one I'm starting to enjoy a lot. Especially when it's added with the wood crafting. I've been doing a few belts and frogs for historical kits because all the ones on the market are made from too thick of leather and we are trying to be accurate in our portrayals. Haven't really thought about doing any of that besides the scabbards since there are a lot of people already making that kind of stuff at resonable prices, but who knows. Wink

Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 15 Sep, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The core of Gregs scabbard isn't as thick as it appears in that less than stellar photo. He brought the core over when he finished it and I honestly wouldn't want it any thinner than it already is.

Here's a photo of the mouth of my PJ scabbard.

I think this one is pretty good as-is and Gregs scabbard is actually a bit thinner than this one at the mouth.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 15 Sep, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
The core of Gregs scabbard isn't as thick as it appears in that less than stellar photo. He brought the core over when he finished it and I honestly wouldn't want it any thinner than it already is.

Here's a photo of the mouth of my PJ scabbard.

I think this one is pretty good as-is and Gregs scabbard is actually a bit thinner than this one at the mouth.

It's certainly fine as it is, and perfectly historical. I'm impressed that he did so well on his first try. That's a better scabbard than a lot of what we see in the market.

Nice job, Greg! You wouldn't have to go any thinner on the next one, but you could if you really wanted to streamline it. I wouldn't take too much off the flats (just a shave), but you might be able to lose a little more on the edges. We're talking millimeters. Happy The current thickness is great, though.

Happy

ChadA

Greg Griggs

PostPosted: Fri 15 Sep, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the compliments and for the advice, Chad. Tips and other sets of eyes are one reason I posted these pics. I see what you're saying and I'll take that into account on the next one. Unfortunately, as Patrick said the picture I took was not a great shot and even though it doesn't show it (maybe because of the cord wrapped around it already), the edges actually have a fairly sharp, thin plane. I really appreciate everyone's overly kind words. It was a fun project and I'm extremely happy with the way it turned out. Enough so that after all the positive responses I'm fairly well convinced that the quality is up to doing it on the side for others. As I already have at least two more lined up to be done, we'll see how much I can dorf them, and then go from there. Razz Big Grin Laughing Out Loud

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New cover for the St. Maurice
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: