Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Crusader Names Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Sat 09 Sep, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Crusader Names         Reply with quote

Does anyone know the names of any crusaders from the Holy Roman Empire who actually made it and fought in the Middle East during the Third Crusade? I know most of the forces disbanded, went home, or died after Frederick Barbarossa drowned, but as I recall a few made it to the Holy Land.
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Sun 10 Sep, 2006 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: Crusader Names         Reply with quote

Craig Peters wrote:
Does anyone know the names of any crusaders from the Holy Roman Empire who actually made it and fought in the Middle East during the Third Crusade? I know most of the forces disbanded, went home, or died after Frederick Barbarossa drowned, but as I recall a few made it to the Holy Land.

Didn't his son (also Frederick) carry on?
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Sun 10 Sep, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm not sure to be honest. If you're thinking of Frederick II, I believe he went on crusade in the 13 century, rather than the late 12th. In this case however, I'm interested in names that are not a part of the imperial Staufen line.
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Sun 10 Sep, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig Peters wrote:
I'm not sure to be honest. If you're thinking of Frederick II, I believe he went on crusade in the 13 century, rather than the late 12th. In this case however, I'm interested in names that are not a part of the imperial Staufen line.

So many Fredericks! Just checked, and the one I meant was his third son and he died in 1191 at the seige of Acre, but he was a Hohenstaufen, so off-topic for you. Apparently he took a few thousand others with him from Barbarossa's army, so there should be names to be found, I just don't know any off them, sorry.
Geoff
Felix Wang

Reading list: 17 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 10 Sep, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Leopold of Austria and others continued to Outremer after Barbarossa died, and joined the siege of Acre. He was insulted by Richard Lionheart after the siege, resulting in a rift. When Richard tried to return home through Austria, he was seized and imprisoned.

For more, see: http://digicoll.library.wisc.edu/cgi-bin/Hist...mp;isize=M
Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Sun 17 Sep, 2006 8:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig Peters wrote:

Tell the forum what line you are interested and undoubtedly someone will produce some names! The Austrian Leopold line was a pretty good example (more than one generation went so you have a broad time frame of applicability.)

There were large numbers of Germanic-Holy Roman Empire federation crusaders (including military orders) during the late 12th and early 13th century era. Some of the 12th century soldiers (including some Ritters or common knights) were serfs drafted from farm laborers.

Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Sun 17 Sep, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jared Smith wrote:
Craig Peters wrote:

Tell the forum what line you are interested and undoubtedly someone will produce some names! The Austrian Leopold line was a pretty good example (more than one generation went so you have a broad time frame of applicability.)

There were large numbers of Germanic-Holy Roman Empire federation crusaders (including military orders) during the late 12th and early 13th century era. Some of the 12th century soldiers (including some Ritters or common knights) were serfs drafted from farm laborers.

I'm not interested in any one line per se, so I can't specifically answer your question. Felix's link helped quite a bit. I'll have to search through it to see if there's mention of the names of any common ministeriales or serviens in addition to the numerous members of the nobility listed.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Crusader Names
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic