Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Two-handed poleaxe from the British Museum Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Sat 02 Sep, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

WE had a small discussion about the origin of the word and how it 'should' be spelled. IN the end both were fairly convincing. I think it is not as easy as poll= head. Part of the problem is that the pollax also was an agricultural tool used to slaugher pigs as well. I as yet have reserved judgement on what I think but I would not feel convinced enough either way to make a stance on it.

RPM
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Sun 03 Sep, 2006 1:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Randall Moffett wrote:
WE had a small discussion about the origin of the word and how it 'should' be spelled. IN the end both were fairly convincing. I think it is not as easy as poll= head. Part of the problem is that the pollax also was an agricultural tool used to slaugher pigs as well. I as yet have reserved judgement on what I think but I would not feel convinced enough either way to make a stance on it.

RPM

And cattle too, I believe. Sort of a stunning hammer (pre captive-bolt days), from what I've been told (no refs, sorry). Poll is still a term used for the head in cattle (in UK anyway).
Randall Moffett

PostPosted: Sun 03 Sep, 2006 5:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

True but it could vary from origin just as a number of other words do. I could find the post perhaps if I look, it is quite long and drawn out for me to repeat it all over again. They went into anglo-norman words and medieval french to explain the possible combinations of the word. I will look for it . ONe of the curators I work with and I have been discussiong this as well. I have to say entmology is not my thing really. To be fair in 14th and 15th century england it is spelled in many more variants than just poleax and pollax so it does not really bother me either way. If they used it interchangable why?

RPM
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Sun 03 Sep, 2006 8:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Randall Moffett wrote:
True but it could vary from origin just as a number of other words do. I could find the post perhaps if I look, it is quite long and drawn out for me to repeat it all over again. They went into anglo-norman words and medieval french to explain the possible combinations of the word. I will look for it . ONe of the curators I work with and I have been discussiong this as well. I have to say entmology is not my thing really. To be fair in 14th and 15th century england it is spelled in many more variants than just poleax and pollax so it does not really bother me either way. If they used it interchangable why?

RPM

Mr Moffett
I'd be interested to see what you can find. I find etymology fun. As you say, spelling was very free and probably stayed that way at least until dictionaries became popular, at which point some version or versions became fixed (sometimes rather odd versions, but there you go, mustn't grumble). Interestingly, spelling (English at least) appears to be becoming more flexible again, not just because of the classic 'two countries separated by a common language' phenomenon but also with less formal educational standards (in UK at least), the use of US spellcheckers in UK (or vice versa) and the growth of alternative forms in such areas as texting on mobile 'phones.
regards
Geoff
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 04 Sep, 2006 1:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
Nathan Robinson wrote:
A bec de corbyn is a form of poleaxe. I'll dig up further detailed info for you in about a week.

<thumb up> Cool Nathan thanks!

As promised:

Spotlight: The Medieval Poleaxe

An article by Alexi Goranov

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Tue 05 Sep, 2006 7:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Now that's delivery! Timely too. Happy Kudos to both you and Alexi for the well written informative article.

Also good on you George for bringing up the excellent thoughts on linguistics as well as the others bringing other knowledge to the table.

Does this mean I have to quit using the term pollhammer? Happy

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 05 Sep, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
Now that's delivery! Timely too. Happy Kudos to both you and Alexi for the well written informative article.

I bumped the article just for you. Happy

Quote:
Does this mean I have to quit using the term pollhammer? Happy

Have you read that term before? I don't remember seeing it before but I just woke up after working late last night so I'm not all here just yet.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Tue 05 Sep, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure I did not make it up, but have no idea where I might have read the term. Maybe I am so linguistically gifted I've taken to making up my own words... or maybe I'm just a savant of the idiot varaiety... Happy
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Randall Moffett

PostPosted: Tue 05 Sep, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Geoff,

sorry for the delay. I will not even go into it. Needless to say here is the post on the origin:

http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB2/viewto...ht=poleaxe

If you are looking for historical slip slinding. The York Archdiocese Probate inventories lists a wide variety of spellings and also types of pole weapons. They mention Carlisle axes and I wonder if they are not the Juddart axe. It is a good read. I do not remember if the publication of it keeps the inconsistancies but I think they do. If not the only place to read them is here in the York Minister library archives. I am fairly sure the one who transposed it did keep the inconsistancies though.
Happy hunting!

RPM
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Wed 06 Sep, 2006 2:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mr Moffett

Thanks for that. Some excellent pictures. Slaughtering hasn't changed much, stun then bleed. I like the idea of the intertwining of meanings. Sounds like the way a lot of language develops. Should we, perhaps, start thinking of polearms in general as both those on a pole and those with a poll?
regards
Geoff
Randall Moffett

PostPosted: Wed 06 Sep, 2006 6:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think in a way for sure. One problem to deal with is the combination of languages. Latin and Germanic bases for most English words with some similar words that mean similar things and others that do not. In the end I prefer to use pole axe. Now in reality I do not know why. I think there are more period sources spelled more or less so. Now could it be pollaxe. Totally. I have heard people say for some reason or another one is correct over the other. I don't, but I'll keep looking and perhaps someday will find it but as of now, for myself, both are fine uses of the word. I even though of using polax as I see it quite common as well.... very ambiguous... Sorry for the lack of any stance on it but that really is where I am at on it.

RPM

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Two-handed poleaxe from the British Museum
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: