Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > New Book on Paulus Kal at the printers Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Fri 25 Aug, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: New Book on Paulus Kal at the printers         Reply with quote

Greetings all,

I'd like to let all interested parties know that my newest title, In Service of the Duke: The 15th century fighting treatise of Paulus Kal is now at the printers. It's available for pre-order now at a special introductory price of $99.95.

This is a large format, full color bibliophile edition - have a look at the sample pages on the website. Enjoy!

All the best,

Christian

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Freelance Academy Press: Books on Western Martial Arts and Historical Swordsmanship

Author, In Saint George's Name: An Anthology of Medieval German Fighting Arts
Randall Pleasant

PostPosted: Fri 25 Aug, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: New Book on Paulus Kal at the printers         Reply with quote

Christian

Very very nice! Looks to be well worth the price. Hope to place my order this weekend. Big Grin

Ran Pleasant
ARMA DFW
Travis Canaday

PostPosted: Fri 25 Aug, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Awesome! Absolutely awesome.

I didn't realize this book was going to be printed so large with such high quality materials. Looks like it will be a treasure.

I'm looking forward to it!

Travis
Pamela Muir

Reading list: 34 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 25 Aug, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very exciting! Cool I'll be watching my mail this fall. Wink
Pamela Muir

Founder/Lead Instructor
Academy of Chivalric Martial Arts

"I need a hero. I'm holding out for a hero 'til the end of the night. He's gotta be strong, And he's gotta be fast, And he's gotta be fresh from the fight." ~Steinman/Pitchford
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Fri 25 Aug, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: New Book on Paulus Kal at the printers         Reply with quote

That looks like a fascinating book. I will strongly consider it.
Christian Henry Tobler wrote:
... have a look at the sample pages on the website...

I did have a look, and most of the folio samples seem to have ghost images - am I imagining things?

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Jason Elrod

Reading list: 38 books

PostPosted: Fri 25 Aug, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I know where my birthday money is going now.
Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Fri 25 Aug, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Steve,

Your imagination isn't misleading you...what you're seeing is a degree of 'bleed through' from 600 years of aging. The ghosts, more visible in some plates and less in others, are the image from the other side of the leaf. This is a pretty common phenomenon in old manuscripts.

All the best,

Christian

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Freelance Academy Press: Books on Western Martial Arts and Historical Swordsmanship

Author, In Saint George's Name: An Anthology of Medieval German Fighting Arts
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 25 Aug, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If I may add that the Paulus Kal manuscript is a FANTASTIC resource for not only WMA practitioners, and those who are interested in the arms, armour and clothing of the time period. I'm very excited about the idea of owning a full color version of this, not to mention reading Christian's analyses of the manuscript.
HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Mark Mattimore

Reading list: 41 books

PostPosted: Fri 25 Aug, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is great Christian. I've been looking forward to this book. It's nice to see some high-quality (dare I say "collectable") books being produced within the community. Can't wait to get a copy.

Anybody else notice those cool bucklers.

I've never seen bucklers shaped like faces before. They remind me of gothic grotesques that would appear on a cathedral of the era. Has anyone ever seen something like this outside of a book?

In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 25 Aug, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark Mattimore wrote:
I've never seen bucklers shaped like faces before. They remind me of gothic grotesques that would appear on a cathedral of the era. Has anyone ever seen something like this outside of a book?

It's probably best to keep this topic on target with the book. There is Another Topic already discussing face shields that is better suited for this question.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Mark Mattimore

Reading list: 41 books

PostPosted: Fri 25 Aug, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
It's probably best to keep this topic on target with the book. There is Another Topic already discussing face shields that is better suited for this question.

Thanks Nathan. That's what I get for not reading all the topics. Blush

In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro.
Joshua Reptsik

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Fri 25 Aug, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Pre-ordered without hesitation. I'm frigga-liggin jazzed!
" You little fool who wanted to be the best, see what happened." -MS 3227a
W. R. Reynolds

PostPosted: Sat 26 Aug, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ditto on joshua's post.
Bill

"No matter who wins the rat race.......they are still a rat."
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Sun 10 Sep, 2006 4:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you Sir Christian! As promised to you when I first heard from you upon personal request of any new books or videos forthcoming from you that I would be ordering, I have indeed placed my order and I am very much looking forward to receiving this book. I have both of your other books and also bought a second copy of your first book for my stepson Josh.

I consider any instruction books and or hopefully forthcoming instruction DVDs from you to be of paramount importance!

Oh by the way, David Peck mentioned to me that you may travel and conduct seminars. If so, and if anytime you would be coming to conduct any seminars in or near (within a couple hours driving "one way") I would surely like to know!

Most Sincerely and Gratefully!

Bob
Bob Burns

PostPosted: Sun 10 Sep, 2006 4:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am so Thrilled Big Grin about this book, I can't hardly wait to get it! For such a fine and classy book I am surprised at the reasonable price! This is not just a book, this is a work of art on from what I can tell the highest quality paper and bound in fine leather, this is a learning resource that I will always treasure and it will be given the greatest care, especially in protecting the leather.

Oh this is definitely one of the finer things in life as far as I am concerned! Receiving this book is going to be right up there with receiving my very first sword the A & A German Bastard Sword.

Excited? I am gnawing at the bit!

Thank you so very much Mr. Tobler, I will treasure this work of art!

Sincerely,

Bob
Keith Nelson

PostPosted: Sun 10 Sep, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob Burns wrote:

Oh by the way, David Peck mentioned to me that you may travel and conduct seminars. If so, and if anytime you would be coming to conduct any seminars in or near (within a couple hours driving "one way") I would surely like to know!

Hi Bob,

While it's not specifically Christian teaching this one, since you're interested in the Liechtenauer tradition, here's another opportunity that seems pretty close to you &, as I remember, has a pretty good cost ($50 for the weekend if you sign up by October 1)...

http://www.gallowglassacademy.org/GallowglassEvents.html#wwld

I haven't trained with Dr. Ernoehazy myself (not being a Liechtenauer-type practitioner), but he's been doing this a good long while and is affiliated with an excellent group (Tattershall).

Keith
Bob Burns

PostPosted: Sun 10 Sep, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you Keith, I checked out the website and bookmarked it for further reference and it did inform me of the obvious, that being if I am going to train, I am going to need to invest into some safety gear for the school of fence. I'd be honored to train under anyone of a number of the proficient sword instructors who are members of this website such as people like Stephen Hand, Bill Grandy and several others, all of whom I respect very much. We all for the most part I guess find our idols, in boxing for me it was Muhammad Ali, in karate it was Joe Lewis.

In the longsword that person for me is Christian Henry Tobler.

Although now I am 49 and I no longer seek competition, nor could I because of the arthritis in my spine from abusing my body for so many years, but my last hurrah was to meritoriously earn a black belt in karate in Oct. 2004 from Keith Hackney of UFC fame. (Sorry if I am redundant as I've posted this before but I just want to qualify a forthcoming statement).

As one who has trained in the martial arts, I can best describe Mr. Toblers expertise and form to be "Poetry in Motion"!

I mean no intent to cause embarrassment, I just have a great appreciation of Mr. Toblers mastery of the longsword, in my opinion he is awesome!

I am also very impressed with Mr. Hand and Mr Grandy and several other sword masters, I have great respect for all of you who teach your expertise, each and everyone of you! Please forgive me for not listing everyone.

Respectfully,

Bob
Travis Canaday

PostPosted: Sun 10 Sep, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A couple of months ago, I participated in a Christian Tobler seminar on the German dagger and wrestling. I agree with Bob on the "Poetry in Motion" thing. Christian’s form looked very smooth. Like experts in anything, he makes it look easy. Christian was also a great teacher. There were a few sort of “ah ha” moments when he explained something that made the light go on about a technique or concept.
Travis
Bob Burns

PostPosted: Sun 10 Sep, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Your lucky to have had the opportunity Travis and thank you for endorsing my opinion, though I have yet to see this master in person perform, I can tell from studying his books, the poise, precision and flow in the still photographs. The only reason I just now put in the order for this magnificent book is because somehow I failed to see the listing of the post that the book was now available for order until today. Must be getting a bit senile too Eek! Laughing Out Loud ! How I missed this post listing I have no idea because I have been waiting for months for this book to become available.
I just got done showing the sample pages and cover to my mother, wife and stepdaughter (age 22 college graduate) and they were all extremely impressed with it, in fact my mother was quite emphatic as to how beautiful it will be, Big Grin she kind of went on and on about it as a matter of fact!

I tell ya, it never ceases to amaze me, the seemingly constant flow of exceedingly high quality items, collections, essays of analysis on swords and weapons, etc., that are to be found on this "myArmoury" Website.
Peter Johnssons Trio Sword Spectacular, Vince Evans Atlanta Blade Show Baskethilt, MAC's Scottish Sword Collection, Patrick Kelly's Svante and forthcoming "gorgeous" Dirk from John Gage, etc., etc. I mean it just goes on and on, coming into myArmoury is like walking into a museum in England for me!

I mean what more could you possibly ask for in a website!

Bob

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > New Book on Paulus Kal at the printers
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic