Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > length of spear shafts Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 25 Aug, 2006 7:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Elling Polden wrote:
the 12th century spear is a two handed spear, as it appears. The Viking spear might be.

I'm sorry I am still confused- are you saying that a spear like the 12th c. spear would likely be longer than a one handed spear and would be more likely to used by a single combatant as opposed to the one handed spear which would be used in formation and with a shield?

I would like to hear from Craig Johnson on this.
Jeremy
Elling Polden

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 25 Aug, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
Elling Polden wrote:
the 12th century spear is a two handed spear, as it appears. The Viking spear might be.

I'm sorry I am still confused- are you saying that a spear like the 12th c. spear would likely be longer than a one handed spear and would be more likely to used by a single combatant as opposed to the one handed spear which would be used in formation and with a shield?

I would like to hear from Craig Johnson on this.
Jeremy

All spears are primarily used in formations or large melees; Once you are rushed (or rush yourself), you go for your backup (Sword, buckler, longsword, katzbalger... )

From the image, it looks like the 12th century spear has a thicker shaft than most spears designed for one handed use, while the viking spear looks like it has a slightly narrower shaft. It is hard to tell, as I have handled neither.

Two handed spears are generally longer; a overly long one handed spear quickly becomes slow and clumsy.
To short two handed spears means that you are at risk from enemy one handed spears, and as such are not very good for mass fighting.

As a rule of thumb, 7-8 feet makes a good one handed spear, while a two handed spear can be as long as you feel like; Usually about 8-10 feet.

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > length of spear shafts
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: