Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Remembering Scott ... and the Molly Stark ! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Thu 11 Aug, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject: Remembering Scott ... and the Molly Stark !         Reply with quote

Remembering Scott ... and the Molly Stark !

This coming August 24th will mark the one year anniversary of the loss of our good friend Scott Bubar!
(alias Sikandur on NetSword, and Deacon Frye on the Pyracy Pub)
I did not want to let this date pass without once again mentioning how much we miss our old friend, and to remember fondly all the great discussions, comments, and humor, that he brought to the many boards where he participated !

Scott had a soft spot for cannons .... and he seemed to take more than just a little interest in the period that founded his country, the American War for Independence !
It is with that in mind that I bring you (and Scott, as I’m sure he’s reading along here :-) the following !

Last weekend the family and I took a short trip up north, via Rt. 13, and passed thru the New Hampshire town of New Boston. I’d been through New Boston many times in the past, actually having partied there sometime in the mid-80's .... (but that’s another story) ....but never put two & two together to realize that this was where the famous Molly Stark cannon resides, given to the town by none other than New Hampshire’s most famous soldier
General John Stark !

History of the Molly Stark Cannon
“The famous Molly Stark cannon, captured from the British at the battle of Bennington (VT) by New Hampshire troops under the command of General John Stark on August 16, 1777, has for many generations been the proud possession of the citizens of New Boston. She is two hundred and twenty years old, having been cast in Paris, France, in 1743. Old Molly, as we affectionately call her, has had a most glorious history, serving under the French flag once, the British twice and the American twice.”
–excerpt from “The New Boston Artillery Company and Molly Stark" Clement A. Lyon 1963

In 1743, the cannon and a mate were cast in Paris, ornately decorated with a shield and crown flanked by American Indians armed with bows and arrows. Both cannons traveled across the Atlantic Ocean to protect the citizens of Quebec. The British forces at the Battle of the Plains of Abraham captured both of the cannons in 1759. Once again, both cannons changed hands when they were surrendered to General John Stark at Bennington in 1777.

“the fruits of the victory were four pieces of brass canon, several stand of arms, eight brass drums, a quantity of German broadswords, and about 700 prisoners.” Our gun, Molly Stark, was one of these four pieces, it being a four pounder.”

The Molly Stark cannon (named affectionately after General Stark’s wife) served in defense of the British siege at Detroit, Michigan, during the “Second Revolutionary War” the War of 1812, and was actually recaptured by the British after the surrender of the city. As fate would have it, the Americans captured Old Molly from the British once again, this time at the Battle of Fort George during the same war.

Prior to his death in 1822, General John Stark removed old Molly from storage at the first arsenal built by the United States (in Watervliet, New York “The Arsenal City”).

Old Molly was retired from active duty and presented to the New Boston Artillery Company of the 9th Regiment of the New Hampshire Militia by General Stark for the company’s contributions to the success of the Battle of Bennington. When the Artillery Company disbanded in 1852, everything except Old Molly was returned to the State of New Hampshire.

“All military accouterments were returned to the State except Molly Stark. Those hardy souls who had preserved and protected her would not give her up” -Clement Lyon, New Boston Artillery Company, 1963.

I went over near the town hall to inquire where the cannon might be and discovered that it was housed in the little yellow Historical Society building and that I needed to return the following Thursday, between 12:00 - 2:00, when a nice old lady would open it for me!
(*guess they don’t staff it on a regular basis, ?, so do call ahead !)

So long story longer .....
I endeavored to persevere and went back today and finally got up close and personal with ‘ol Molly Stark ! (just for you, Scott ‘ol buddy ;-)

Coincidentally, I found out that this famed 4 pounder will be “live fired” during Battle Week celebrations at Bennington, VT., on August 20th & 21st .... so if you got your ear plugs handy it might be a booming good time !
http://www.historicvermont.org/bennington/

Muzzle & bore

Rest in Peace, my friend , Mac

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail

Last edited by Thomas McDonald on Sun 14 Aug, 2005 12:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Thu 11 Aug, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Cascabel, 1st reinforce, and vent .

View that includes the 2nd reinforce !

XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail

Last edited by Thomas McDonald on Fri 12 Aug, 2005 7:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Thu 11 Aug, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the cool bit of history both past and present Thomas!
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 11 Aug, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thomas;

Would be an interesting story in any case, but I probably have ancestors on the French side of that Plains of Abrahams battle who lost the battle and the canon. Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Thu 11 Aug, 2005 5:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Trunnion markings

I believe it reads Rebored May 22 1891, but that 8 could be a 9 I suppose ?

Mac

XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Thu 11 Aug, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Thomas;

Would be an interesting story in any case, but I probably have ancestors on the French side of that Plains of Abrahams battle who lost the battle and the canon. Cool

I hear ya Jean .... but your welcome to come down and visit her ;-) Mac

XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Thu 11 Aug, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A picture of a picture ....

This photo is from an old National Geographic magazine that N.H. had in their Molly clippings folder !
The oldy lady told me that this photo is actually of the other Molly, twin to the N.H. piece ?

Mac

XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail

Last edited by Thomas McDonald on Fri 12 Aug, 2005 9:27 am; edited 2 times in total
Gordon Frye

Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 11 Aug, 2005 7:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very Cool, Mac! Thanks for posting that, and we'll hoist a tall one to your departed comrade, "Deacon Frye"! Big Grin He deserves it for loving cannons and chosing a great name!

Cheers!

Gordon

"After God, we owe our victory to our Horses"
Gonsalo Jimenez de Quesada
http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/
http://historypundit.blogspot.com/
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Thu 11 Aug, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Cool stuff Mac, and Scott is missed.
"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Fri 12 Aug, 2005 7:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

One of the nice old ladies from the historical society was telling me about a gentleman who came down from Dartmouth, (she believed it was Dartmouth) to see the cannon and was appalled to findout that the town was still live firing this piece !
He went on to say how it should be in a real museum, preserved properly, and blah, blah, blah .....

I think they just chuckled and sent him on his way !

You can't rock the ladies of the granite state ;-) Mac

P.S. Checkout this site : http://www.historiclakes.org/vbrp/vbr5.htm
It talks about some cannon(s) that exploded !

BOOM .... goes Molly !

XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Sat 13 Aug, 2005 1:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thomas McDonald wrote:
It talks about some cannon(s) that exploded !

I think I'd be content with video footage of that. Actually being there could be hard on the ol' ticker. Eek!

-Grey

Oh, and just to save you a few key strokes, the plural of cannon can be cannon (though, according to Merriam-Webster, cannons is also correct).

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Sun 14 Aug, 2005 12:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Thu 24 Aug, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just wanted to acknowledge this day, August 24th, as it's been two years now that we have been without the kindred spirit of Scott Bubar !
They say as long as you remember a person they are never really gone, so with this in mind, I raise my glass to parted friends, and cherish the memories of days past !

Till we meet again, Rest in Peace, my friend, Mac

XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Thu 24 Aug, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's to you Sikandur! We all still miss and remember you.
Greg Griggs

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 24 Aug, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for this thread and the story behind it, Mac. I didn't get to meet the man, but I shall take off the hat and salute his memory.

To those who think we should keep all our history in a museum (big fights on this exact thing with the WWII aircraft being flown now), I say "FIE to ye"! Let us not forget and use the past for the present and the future.

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Thu 24 Aug, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the reminder Mac. There were many fine souls like Scott in our little group when we started co-habitating in cyberspace almost a decade ago? (!) Sadly many of them have moved onto other things, while some have passed like Scott and the atmosphere is not as creative or brotherly as it once was. We miss him still.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Remembering Scott ... and the Molly Stark !
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic