Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > My new toy: Albion ML Tritiona Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 14 Aug, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Alexi or others that can address this thought-

I am interested in the reletive difference or "sameness" between the last four or so inches of the Tritonia's blade extending from the terminus of the fuller with the corresponding blade section on the Albion Duke.

Both of these sections (on the Duke and Tritonia) look to be similar i.e. broad, flat, and rather thin in cross section. I am curious if either blade is thicker, has a finer edge, different point properties. I know that I will soon Alexi's new toy soon but I would be interested in reading others observations.

Thanks,
Jeremy
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

Reading list: 72 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 14 Aug, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Jeremy,

That is an interesting question that I have also wondered about. I would be able to answer that in about a week when I have both swords together. It will be interesting to see how the 1-2mm of edge are formed on both swords. I would be willing to speculate that the distal taper on the Tritonia is more dramatic, but I cannot compare the edge geometries until I have the two swords side by side.

Alexi
Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 14 Aug, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alexi Goranov wrote:
Hi Jeremy,

That is an interesting question that I have also wondered about. I would be able to answer that in about a week when I have both swords together. It will be interesting to see how the 1-2mm of edge are formed on both swords. I would be willing to speculate that the distal taper on the Tritonia is more dramatic, but I cannot compare the edge geometries until I have the two swords side by side.

Alexi

The distal taper on mine seems non-linear as there seems to be at least one or two " step " transitions along the blade that can only be seen if one looks down the blade: This seems like designed in steps and not irregular waves that one might notice on a cheap blade. I think this is true because the steps match in where they are on the blade on each side and if these were not planned I would expect to see no symmetry i.e. would be different on each side if accidental or due to sloppy work.

Being the Museum line it is most probable that anything noticed on this sword is deliberate and measured to match the original as much as possible.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

Reading list: 72 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 14 Aug, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:

The distal taper on mine seems non-linear as there seems to be at least one or two " step " transitions along the blade that can only be seen if one looks down the blade: This seems like designed in steps and not irregular waves that one might notice on a cheap blade. I think this is true because the steps match in where they are on the blade on each side and if these were not planned I would expect to see no symmetry i.e. would be different on each side if accidental or due to sloppy work.

Being the Museum line it is most probable that anything noticed on this sword is deliberate and measured to match the original as much as possible.

Peter Johnsson and others have discussed the non-linear distal taper on several threads (look around in the spotlight topics). You can bet that the non-linearity is deliberate and necessary for the proper mass distribution, overall blade strength, and dynamic characteristics. Happy

Alexi
Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 14 Aug, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alexi Goranov wrote:
Jean Thibodeau wrote:

Peter Johnsson and others have discussed the non-linear distal taper on several threads (look around in the spotlight topics). You can bet that the non-linearity is deliberate and necessary for the proper mass distribution, overall blade strength, and dynamic characteristics. Happy

Alexi

Oh, I was aware of those topic threads and that is why I considered the way the distal taper to be O.K. as it is: I was mentioning it just to hear if you notice the same thing and to bring attention to the way the distal taper on the Tritonia is not just a simple curve or strait line to those who might not know? I should have made this clear though. Blush

Just curious about your impressions when you get your Tritonia: I'm assuming yours will be close to identical to mine.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Mon 14 Aug, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Would you guys quit making me think about that Tritiona! Your gonna get me killed! Laughing Out Loud

Absolutely, this is one exceptional sword and I Love it! But if I buy it, I will be "wearing" it and it won't be in a scabbard!

My wife will find a certain place in my pants area to wear the sword!

WTF?! Eek!

Bob

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > My new toy: Albion ML Tritiona
Page 3 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: