Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > War hammer pics-animals? Anyone have links to some? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Michael R. Black

PostPosted: Sun 30 Jul, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: War hammer pics-animals? Anyone have links to some?         Reply with quote

Hello everyone. I am wondering whether anyone has reference or links to pics of historical war hammers whose heads depict an animal? I love the Dragon War hammer that A and A used to do, and I'm curious to know whether there are actual examples of this type of thing out there.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Regards,

Michael
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 31 Jul, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Included here is a photo of the antique hammer that inspired the (currently unavailable) Arms & Armor replica. It is Venetian, circa 1380.

Attachment: 38.27 KB
dragonhammer_circa1380.jpg
Dragon Warhammer, circa 1380, Venetian

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Dustin R. Reagan

PostPosted: Mon 31 Jul, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

One thing that catches my eye about this hammer is the different tone of both the spike and the striking tip of the hammer itself. Both of these pieces appear darker. Perhaps they are either differentially hardened, or actually different material all-together (perhaps higher-carbon pieces which were forge-welded onto the more elaborate body of the hammer head)?

Or perhaps the difference is purely ornamental?

What are your opinions?

Dustin
Shawn Shaw

PostPosted: Mon 31 Jul, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It does look like a cap of some kind. I think you might be on to something. There's probably no reason not to make the main part (the "mass") of the head out of mild steel and then cap it with higher carbon sheet steel to help it punch through armour/people.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Charles G.

PostPosted: Mon 31 Jul, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dustin R. Reagan wrote:
One thing that catches my eye about this hammer is the different tone of both the spike and the striking tip of the hammer itself. Both of these pieces appear darker. Perhaps they are either differentially hardened, or actually different material all-together (perhaps higher-carbon pieces which were forge-welded onto the more elaborate body of the hammer head)?

Or perhaps the difference is purely ornamental?

What are your opinions?

Dustin

Actually, the body is some sort of brass/copper-alloy, while the hammer face and back spike are some sort of iron/steel. Why you never see colour shots of this hammer is a total mystery to me.

Also, it is *big* - the A&A repro was about 2/3 the size of the original. The original also had a fairly short haft.

References:
Rossi, Francesco. Mediaeval Arms and Armour. Magna Books. pp. 22-23. Leicester. 1990.
Baron de Cosson, C.A. A War Hammer in the Museo Correr, Venice. The Burlington Magazine for Connoisseurs Vol. 42, no. 241. pp. 188-190. January-June, 1923.
Michael R. Black

PostPosted: Fri 04 Aug, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the help regarding further details on this war hammer. I sure wish A and A were still making their repro of this.

Does anyone know of other animal/mythical beast depictions in war hammers? I'm interested in whether there are more historical examples. Any ideas about where I could search online for more references to these?

Regards,

Michael
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Fri 04 Aug, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the information! I purchased the A&A version of that hammer on ebay several months back but I really didn't know anything about it's provenance. Just looking at the pictures that Nathan posted I can say that there are some differences from the original. The sheilds on the sides are different, the dragons tail and "fire" are longer on the repro (proportionally at least) and I'm sure there are some other things. If I manage it I'll see about taking some pictures of the repro if you are interested. I don't have any information about other fanciful designs right off the top of my head the only one that comes to mind immediately is the "fist pick" attributed to Ziska...

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 06 Aug, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Some pictures of the repro
Michael R. Black

PostPosted: Sun 06 Aug, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow Russ. That looks really cool. keep me in mind if you ever decide to sell this one! (I know-long shot at best)
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 07 Aug, 2006 7:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael R. Black wrote:
Wow Russ. That looks really cool. keep me in mind if you ever decide to sell this one! (I know-long shot at best)

Hey Michael,

You know I will... of course I've never actually sold anything from A&A... but if I come across another one I'll let you know as well... Happy

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > War hammer pics-animals? Anyone have links to some?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic