Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Conan Props: Tried my hand at weapon making (again) Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Alex Oster

PostPosted: Sat 05 Aug, 2006 7:15 am    Post subject: Conan Props: Tried my hand at weapon making (again)         Reply with quote

Every now and then I get the urge to tinker a bit, and normally its when I either get tired of the parts moving from drawer to drawer, or when I have spare time to kill.

I decided to recreate some stuff from Conan the Barbarian. I choose Thorgrim's hammer and Rexor's triple bladed axe since there are no good recreations out there as of yet.

The Hammer on the top is the newest, and the tri-axe is still in progress...

More pic's of hammer: http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y201/Osterberg/conan/hammer/

Here is one screen shot to give reference for the overal project:

Let's start with Thorgrim's hammer ;since it's 99% done (baring any last minute changes).

It started in a very basic stage, and I used all available data (screen shots, on set photos, even data from the original prop sold at auction!) And I transferred all the data into what you see here. The only thing I haven't done is to recreate the brass-Devo hat-endcap that I simply don't have the tools for, and the groove around the spike end of the hammer head (should be done this weekend).
There was apparently three(+) different hammers used in the film. One had a ball pommel that I just didn't like the looks of (used in the orgy fight), a more fur covered version (used at the beginning raid, and seen in an auction photo shoot), and the final screen version (which I aimed for). The handle is 36", and the head is 21" (as per auction specs and 1:1 still photo transference). I used a variety of different methods to get the size as close as possible. The hammer's head ahs a diameter of 5" (though, I would have aimed for 7" if I could find it.)

As for Rexor's axe, I am still manipulating the handle to be right, but here are some basic production shots.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y201/Osterberg/conan/axe/

I took 3 axe heads of the same shape and just started grinding Big Grin . The original blocky hammer heads the axes had have been sanded down to spikes, and the front blades have been welded as per the original prop. Its a lot of stock removal, but I think it worked out nice.
I took some size references from comparisons to Thorgrims hammer in screenshots, and then I ran a ratio of difference to get my measurements.

The pen is mightier than the sword, especially since it can get past security and be stabbed it into a jugular.
This site would be better if everytime I clicked submit... I got to hear a whip crack!
My collection: Various Blades & Conan related
Thimo Savbotta

PostPosted: Sat 05 Aug, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very cool stuff. Still one of my favorite movies of all time.
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Sat 05 Aug, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

wow thats great!

you meantion o cant make the cap on teh end of the hammer. ever thought about using a large copper pipe fitting cap? you maybe able to oval it a tad to fit. sure its not brass but it could work out.

agian, very cool stuff
John Gage
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 05 Aug, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow, Alex those are very cool!! Very nice work on them, Keep it up!!

John

http://www.GageCustomKnives.com/

Last edited by John Gage on Sat 05 Aug, 2006 10:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Alex Oster

PostPosted: Sat 05 Aug, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Man, it sucks to wake up at 4:30 when you have a guest over that sleeps until 11..... I've been surfing all morning waiting for signs of life! Big Grin

Thanks guys, yea I was thinking of the cap still as the last 1% of the project. I was even thinking of doing a plaster mold and pouring some metal myself. I have seen a few things I could use, but I just need the proper tools, you know? I've got a small tool box with the essentials, but not much more. And the local Home Depot just doesn't have anything I can manipulate to my ends.
David Martin

PostPosted: Sat 05 Aug, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nicely done! I love the maul - have you tried bashing anything with it?

I'm hoping to find the time and money to create a life-size version of Mjollnir. It would just be for display purposes, (obviously), but I think it would make a great conversation piece.

Thanks for sharing your projects. Congrats on a job well done!

"When war-gods meet to match their might,
who can tell the bravest born?
Many a hero never made a hole
in another man's breast."

- Sigurd, The Lay of Fafnir
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat 05 Aug, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alex Oster wrote:
Man, it sucks to wake up at 4:30 when you have a guest over that sleeps until 11..... I've been surfing all morning waiting for signs of life! Big Grin

Consider yourself lucky your guess is even getting up at 11. Razz I've been known to go to bed at 2:00 P.M. in the afternoon and get up at 11:00 at night " Vampire hours " But never as a house guest though. ( Playing X-box all night and morning or the last time drawing graphics in Photoshop. )

Oh, and I've also gotten up at 4:00 A.M. Ah the joy of not working and doing what one wants when one wants. Wink Laughing Out Loud

Hey retiring at 53 a few years back is great when you love your hobbies and have no obligations. Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Ken Rankin

PostPosted: Sat 05 Aug, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very very cool work! Conan the Barbarian is one of my all time favorite films (I keep the soundtrack in the car) and REH is like a god to me Big Grin I love the hammer! It just screams... Laughing Out Loud and the axe is just too much! Love it! I grok about Home Depot, I am in my local one all the time and it gets frustrating having to take something and rework it to meet a need rather than just finding it...sleepwise after twenty years of working rotating shifts I can sleep anywhere anytime, in fact I may be asleep right now...

Laughing Out Loud

Ken
Joshua Reptsik

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Sat 05 Aug, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Love the hammer. If it can take out marble pillars you got a fine repro on your hands! Bah!
" You little fool who wanted to be the best, see what happened." -MS 3227a
Alex Oster

PostPosted: Sun 06 Aug, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lol, well I have yet to squash anything. It's a wrist breaker though Big Grin Here is a shot to give sense of scale:

The pen is mightier than the sword, especially since it can get past security and be stabbed it into a jugular.
This site would be better if everytime I clicked submit... I got to hear a whip crack!
Alex Oster

PostPosted: Sun 20 Aug, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Original prop data:

Quote:
Item: Conan The Barbarian Memorabelia Package

Year:
Price: $7,000

Description: The Package includes 3 items as listed below: Item 1 - Conan The Barbarian "Hammer". This was used in the beginning sequence of film and the final battle sequence of the film where Conan (Arnold Schwarzenegger) fights with Thor Grim. Hammer is made of solid wood and is decorated with metal point at the end. Dimensions are 38 inches long. The Handle is 21 inches wide. Item 2 - Set color photo of Arnold Schwarzenegger as Conan, holding sword in both hands. Item 3 - Original Director's screenplay "third draft" signed by John Milius.

(Sorry, photobucket squashed the pics some.)

Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 20 Aug, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alex,

That's a very nice collection from one of the favorite movies of my youth.

Cool!
Alex Oster

PostPosted: Sun 20 Aug, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, I'm wraping the axe's handle as I watch some bad tv tonight. Fingers...getting....cramped!
I really need to do a good photo shoot for the dog days, but still not done Wink

John H.

PostPosted: Mon 09 Apr, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hope this isn't against the rules, resurrecting such an old thread, but I figured why create a new thread when there's a perfectly good, related thread already here?

My latest project, & my finest work imo (at least the one I'm most proud of).

35 pounds of wood, blood (yes, I cut/gouged myself several times during construction), leather, brass, & steel, from one of my all-time favorite films. THORGRIM'S HAMMER.

From start to finish, this effort has taken approximately 2.5 years. This includes design research, parts/materials acquisition, & build-time. It turned out just how I had hoped. Everything was basically done by hand (since I lack many of the "proper" tools), although I did make limited use of a circular saw, a dremel tool, a belt sander, & a cordless drill. Ultimately, I wanted it to be as authentic as possible, so MOST of the wood-work was done with just a mallet & chisel.

The broken Master sword (an older project) is in the photo just to give it scale.

I scoured every conceivable, available resource to help me create a replica that is as screen-accurate & as functional (i.e., "sturdy") as possible. Now, as Alex stated, there were multiple hammers used during production. In fact, I count five:

#1.

#2.

#3.

#4.

#5.

I made mine a hybrid of #3 & #5. The handle is a branch from the cedar tree in front of my building at work, & the head is a length of discarded telephone pole. (Incidently, I tried to get a piece of piling from the local dock-builders, but was unable to find a suitable specimen that was NOT pressure-treated with arsenic. So the old telephone pole was a Godsend) The bands & rivets are all chemically-aged, solid brass (I tried aging the brass "naturally" (read: ammonia fuming) & suffered pretty abysmal results). The leather wrapping is goat-hide.

I threw a video of this project up on youtube if anyone's interested in taking a peek (I'm pretty proud of the vid too): Clickee.

Anyway, thanks for looking.

P.S. BTW Alex, color me envious of many of the pieces in your Conan collection. I hope to have several of those. Eventually... *sigh* Wink
Alex Oster

PostPosted: Tue 29 May, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, I guess an update is in order. Wink
Thanks for the kind words all.
I've already expressed my wonder in Johns amazing work elsewhere, but still, dang man... you captured it wonderfuly!
I've since finished the Axe and hammer to a point of "good enough", but I'm ever the tinker-er, so I expect to keep tweeking them until perfect. My hammer has turned out a definate #2 copy john, but I am not quite happy with it yet.

As always you can peruse my photos and sub folders here: Conan stuff (w/ sub folders)

Alex Oster

PostPosted: Tue 29 Jan, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Did a little more work on them:

The blades of the axe are actually blued now. Mostly black. I changed the wire wrap to wire too.

Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Tue 29 Jan, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I personally like your set of replicas, particularly the home made ones! You probably said so before, what are the two swords (sort of hard to see in the corners of the first photo)?
Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
Alex Oster

PostPosted: Tue 29 Jan, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, I don't know if I mentioned it, but by clicking in my signeture, you can see my conan collection. There are two sub folders that show all the work involved with each.

In that first pic.... there is a factory x argos sword and a $20 "ninja sword" (now replaced with a hanwei black same one) I allways had intended to remove the blade on the argos sword and use the fittings on one of albions bronze blades. However, I ran out of funds and they stopped making the one I wanted. Confused

oh, I forgot, i will also be taking some of the handle wraping off the axe, as I got a little involved when i did that... i just kept wrapping and wrapping and wrappping... these projects are a great way to clear your mind.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Conan Props: Tried my hand at weapon making (again)
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic