Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New pattern-welded Gladius from J. Loose Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
C.L. Miller

PostPosted: Fri 23 Jun, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject: New pattern-welded Gladius from J. Loose         Reply with quote

Vermont smith J. Loose has a new pattern-welded gladius on his website, soon to be available. The blade is apparently an ironic (?) commemoration of the Battle of Teutoburger Wald (the scabbard has yet to be finished, but will feature scenes from that battle) and really looks to be something special. J. Loose has previously produced some beautiful seax blades (also viewable on his site), but I believe this to be the first time he's tackled a sword of this type.
I'd call it a success.

www.jloose.com
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sat 24 Jun, 2006 1:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mr. Loose' so-called "Sword of Arminius" is a very attractive piece. The blade is particularly beautiful.
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat 24 Jun, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Funny the Pompeii style gladius is not my favourite type but with this superb pattern welding the simplicity of the parallel edges complement the pattern very well: Could spend a lot of time just getting lost just looking at the pattern.

The rest of it looks great also.

( Edited: Had a look at the site and there are some pieces worth having a look see. Wink Cool Also, damascus rings that could satisfy that " craving " for damascus at a lower cost than a knife or a sword. The price on the Pompeii seems reasonable considering the quality of the work if one has the money. Overall, impressive work. Cool )

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sat 24 Jun, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nicely done.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Paul Mullins

PostPosted: Wed 28 Jun, 2006 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: New pattern-welded Gladius from J. Loose         Reply with quote

C.L. Miller wrote:
Vermont smith J. Loose has a new pattern-welded gladius on his website, soon to be available. The blade is apparently an ironic (?) commemoration of the Battle of Teutoburger Wald (the scabbard has yet to be finished, but will feature scenes from that battle) and really looks to be something special. J. Loose has previously produced some beautiful seax blades (also viewable on his site), but I believe this to be the first time he's tackled a sword of this type.
I'd call it a success.

This is a fantastic piece for sure, however he should have stuck with an earlier pattern gladius for the Teutoberg Wald battle. This style can only be dated as early as the Claudian invasion of Britian or there abouts.
C.L. Miller

PostPosted: Wed 28 Jun, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: New pattern-welded Gladius from J. Loose         Reply with quote

Paul Mullins wrote:
This is a fantastic piece for sure, however he should have stuck with an earlier pattern gladius for the Teutoberg Wald battle. This style can only be dated as early as the Claudian invasion of Britian or there abouts.

True enough. I believe that this style of migration-era pattern-welding is also a bit late to appear on a gladius, so this is indeed something of a fantasty piece. Regardless, I'd be honored to own such a weaponit if I only had the resources, and I'll be eagerly awaiting his next piece.
J.Arthur Loose
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 31 Jul, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the compliments on the piece-

A couple notes... it is not intended to represent a sword that Arminius would himself have carried, nor will it really represent a historical reproduction. It is commemorative and allegorical; something that I envision might have been more likely to have been made around the turn of the most recent century. Hard concept for historically minded folks to accept. Wink It will be clear when the story panels are completed.

At first I thought I was intentionally making a complete anachronism with the Migration Era pattern on the gladius- I later found that there are examples with patterns very much like this one; however, the allegory and narrative in the object remain. Arminius was a barbarian soul raised in Roman form.

jloose.com
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 31 Jul, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's a beautiful blade J. Arthur. I love the patern on it. I'm eager to see the scabbard work.
John Gage
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 31 Jul, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi J. Loose,

That is a sweet blade!!! Very nice work as always and it is very nice to see you here.

Regards,

John

http://www.GageCustomKnives.com/
James Nordstrom

PostPosted: Mon 31 Jul, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mr. Loose also makes beautiful rings.

This is my wedding ring http://www.jloose.com/siteimages/golddamring.jpg.

Cheers
Jim

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New pattern-welded Gladius from J. Loose
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic