Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Flamed blades. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Einar Drønnesund

PostPosted: Sun 01 Feb, 2004 6:04 pm    Post subject: Flamed blades.         Reply with quote

OK, I know this has been done to death, but its still an interesting discussion weather or not some two handers had wavy blades for functional reasons or not.

I know people say that they dont cut any better than a straight edge sword, but how about draw cuts? I have a bread knife with an edge that is waved, not serrated or saw-toothed, and that thing will glide through bread and meat with very little effort, even when its not very sharp. Thats the thing that made me think about this in the first place. A razor sharp straight edge knife will probably cut meat better, twohanders werent razor sharp, so maybe they would benefit from a wavy edge? Now I sont think a wavy edge will CHOP any better than a stright edge, but what about draw cuts?

What if these flamberges or whatever you wanna call them where sometimes used with a draw cut? I think that could be done from the half sword, at least. Or what about a draw cut when trying to cut a pike? Do you think the wavy blade might "hook" on to the pike more effectively than a straight edge, and help in cutting or breaking it?[/i]
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Mon 02 Feb, 2004 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: Flamed blades.         Reply with quote

Einar Drønnesund wrote:
OK, I know this has been done to death, but its still an interesting discussion weather or not some two handers had wavy blades for functional reasons or not.

I know people say that they dont cut any better than a straight edge sword, but how about draw cuts? I have a bread knife with an edge that is waved, not serrated or saw-toothed, and that thing will glide through bread and meat with very little effort, even when its not very sharp. Thats the thing that made me think about this in the first place. A razor sharp straight edge knife will probably cut meat better, twohanders werent razor sharp, so maybe they would benefit from a wavy edge? Now I sont think a wavy edge will CHOP any better than a stright edge, but what about draw cuts?

What if these flamberges or whatever you wanna call them where sometimes used with a draw cut? I think that could be done from the half sword, at least. Or what about a draw cut when trying to cut a pike? Do you think the wavy blade might "hook" on to the pike more effectively than a straight edge, and help in cutting or breaking it?[/i]

I have a theory (not tested, just a theory) that wavy edges can have an effect of increased cutting ability on many layers of textile. It may be that it could have an effect when cutting the type of clothing fashionble at the time.
Again, this is juts a theory.
Another aspect that might be important is that these blades started to become fashioable at a time when culters strated to show off their skills in difficult grindings of blades. Most of these wavy blades are not forged to shaped but ground.
Greg Thomas Obach
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 02 Feb, 2004 8:48 am    Post subject: interesting         Reply with quote

I've wondered this myself.. and I also think there maybe a couple benefits to a flame edge

due to the extra amount of edge material... it would stay sharper when in contact with harsh materials.... (eg, the insides of the flame won't contact rigid armours therefore staying sharp )

the extra amount of edging should make for a stiffer blade

it may have a better effect on armour.... if you look at the contact area on the surface of the armour.... it will only be with a few of the flame peaks...... rather than a long area as with normal swords...
- it is easier to cut steel with a point, rather than a long edge surface...

just throwing some ideas out there..

Greg

ps... some testing should be done... !

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Flamed blades.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic