Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Poitiers illustration Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Shae Bishop

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Wed 19 Jul, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: Poitiers illustration         Reply with quote

Since the July 10th update I have been intrigued by the battle scene illustration in the article on the battle of Poitiers. Nathan has informed me that the British library dates this illustration to 1415, which is significantly later than the battle itself but still early enough to make it raise a few questions. My main interest is in the pole weapons depicted, many of which look like later period poleaxes, halberds, and bardiches (sp?). Does anyone know of any originals from this period that look like these? Also, most of the warriors are wearing brightly colored short-sleeved, knee length quilted garments worn over plate armour. Would these be referred to as jacks or gambesons? Finally, several are wearing colored breastplates. Are these most likely painted metal breastplates or something like a brigandine?
Sorry about so many questions at once.

http://www.myArmoury.com/view.html?features/p...iers04.jpg
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 19 Jul, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Poitiers illustration         Reply with quote

Shae Bishop wrote:
Finally, several are wearing colored breastplates. Are these most likely painted metal breastplates or something like a brigandine?

Most would be cloth-covered breastplates. Some might have been constructed of several segments but most would be one piece.
Fabrice Cognot
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 21 Jul, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Poitiers illustration         Reply with quote

Hi Shae

Shae Bishop wrote:
Since the July 10th update I have been intrigued by the battle scene illustration in the article on the battle of Poitiers. Nathan has informed me that the British library dates this illustration to 1415, which is significantly later than the battle itself but still early enough to make it raise a few questions. My main interest is in the pole weapons depicted, many of which look like later period poleaxes, halberds, and bardiches (sp?). Does anyone know of any originals from this period that look like these?

French author Christiane Raynaud speaks of these axes, frequently depicted in late 14th- early15th century atwork as "Haches de Créqui", named after the Lord of créqui who made reat use of such an axe, whose main features were a top and rear spike - and posibly a rather short haft, at least not of 'standard' polearm dimension. Basically, it is just a state in the develoment of the poleaxe - interesting thing is that they are used on horseback.

Quote:
Also, most of the warriors are wearing brightly colored short-sleeved, knee length quilted garments worn over plate armour. Would these be referred to as jacks or gambesons? Finally, several are wearing colored breastplates. Are these most likely painted metal breastplates or something like a brigandine?

As said, mainly a cloth garment worn over armour.

Cheers

Fab

PhD in medieval archeology.
HEMAC member
De Taille et d'Estoc director
Maker of high quality historical-inspired pieces.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Poitiers illustration
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic