Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > 1610 stone bow prod Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
David Ruff

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jul, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: 1610 stone bow prod         Reply with quote

Just got his in on loan to reproduce.

I have linked my site as it has all the details and measurments. This is a neat prod.

http://www.uccrossbows.com/2006periodprod.html

The man that i am reproducing this for also has a original heavy seige crossbow (in the 2000lb area he is guessing) It came from Sudely castle and he is guessing it was made in the middle 1400's. I am attempting to get detailed pics and measuments so i can reproduce it as well.

David
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jul, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ooooohhhhh!

David I do not suppose I could speak with said gentleman regarding the siege crossbow? If not thats ok just doing what I do...... If not I look forward to your pictures and info.

Thanks for posting the picture of the steel prod. Yesterday at work I went and looked at our late 15th crossbow and wondered what at over half inch thick the steel bow being would have in the field of power. If you could tell me what info you need to find out I could get the dimensions.

Randall
David Ruff

PostPosted: Wed 19 Jul, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Randall Moffett wrote:
Ooooohhhhh!

David I do not suppose I could speak with said gentleman regarding the siege crossbow? If not thats ok just doing what I do...... If not I look forward to your pictures and info.

Thanks for posting the picture of the steel prod. Yesterday at work I went and looked at our late 15th crossbow and wondered what at over half inch thick the steel bow being would have in the field of power. If you could tell me what info you need to find out I could get the dimensions.

Randall

The only true way to tell is to string it and measure it. But close figures can be done by comparing the dimensions of the period prod and comparing it to modern prods of alike thickness etc.

I will see if i can get gentleman to give me detailed pics and what not. I to would love to build the heavy bow and use it as a show piece at some of the things i attend.

I do know that 1/2" thick at the center that tapers to about 1/4" at the tips. 28 to 30" tip to tip with a 1.5 to 2" width and tapering to 3/4" to 7/8" at the tips will put you into the 800 to 1100lb range with the modern prods. This is dependant however of temper and steel.

David

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > 1610 stone bow prod
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic