Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > What kind of sword is this? Warning: A few Large Photos Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Keith Larman
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 16 Jan, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: What kind of sword is this? Warning: A few Large Photos         Reply with quote

For those who don't know, I don't focus on western swords. But a friend of my family asked me to look at some things she'd had forever. Considering she's in her 80's and these were originally collected by her late father-in-law when he was a young man traveling among the museums of Europe (i.e., 1920's and 30's) we're talking about swords that are surely not modern repros (in the sense of the stuff being churned out of China and India today). I've helped her move a few swords and there have been some marvelous things in her collection.

This one was down in her dry, dark basement (southern California has a very dry climate). It was standing up in the basement leaning against some old boxes. About 5 feet long total with the blade about 4 feet long.

Photos.

and another one...

Finally...

All the photos I took today are here:

http://summerchild.com/bigsword

Looking for feedback, ID, etc. It will be going on the market once I get an idea of what exactly it is. I hate putting things up for sale with the description of only "big, honking sword." Wink

And besides, it is kinda cool. My wife saw it and commented "someone had some issues with their self-image, eh..." This sucker is big. Kind of a Humvee of swords...

Keith Larman
http://www.summerchild.com
Don Stanko

Reading list: 482 books

PostPosted: Mon 16 Jan, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Keith, I had a chance to look at the photos and it is hard to tell. By looking at the blade I would say that it may have been a practice weapon - the edges look quite thick and unsharpened. I do hesitate on the age but victorian is not out of the question. The only reason I hesitate is that I purchased one of the swords in this collection, from you. That one turned out to be an authentic 16th century sword, all original - including the handle. So I have no doubt that the collector had an eye for the real thing and great items may still be lurking in this collection. Maybe somebody else can shed more light on this topic.

Don
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Mon 16 Jan, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just some thoughts. Lamp fitting pommel, blocky blade and fittings. Looks "not bad" at a distant profile. So. California, mil-spec looking blade mark. My vote would be a Hollywood prop sword, American made and mid 20th century (my gut says post WWII but that means nothing).

If you have the time and interest to coax the pommel off, the tang might have something else on it.
There are those handy dandy drip holes in the pommel ;)

Cheers

GC
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Mon 16 Jan, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm looking at how the rust has patterned itself on the blade. I'm also looking at its "pommel" and the shape of the blade. The design of the guard and the ricasso Question aren't like anything I'd expect to see on an antique. It could be a practice weapon, though I don't see any dings or nicks. Or possibly a just a wall-hanger. Whatever the case, I'd be surprised if it predated the American Civil War. Just my perception -- anyone else? Confused
"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Keith Larman
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 16 Jan, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Don Stanko wrote:
Hello Keith, I had a chance to look at the photos and it is hard to tell. By looking at the blade I would say that it may have been a practice weapon - the edges look quite thick and unsharpened. I do hesitate on the age but victorian is not out of the question. The only reason I hesitate is that I purchased one of the swords in this collection, from you. That one turned out to be an authentic 16th century sword, all original - including the handle. So I have no doubt that the collector had an eye for the real thing and great items may still be lurking in this collection. Maybe somebody else can shed more light on this topic.

Don

and

Quote:
Just some thoughts. Lamp fitting pommel, blocky blade and fittings. Looks "not bad" at a distant profile. So. California, mil-spec looking blade mark. My vote would be a Hollywood prop sword, American made and mid 20th century (my gut says post WWII but that means nothing).

I wouldn't be terribly surprised. Most of his collection was out in various parts of the house on display but this was virtually buried in the basement. She's in her mid-80's now and didn't recall ever seeing it outside of the basement. But her late father-in-law (as well as her late husband) were fairly "important" people in local circles. So it wouldn't surprise me if it might be a product of the Hollywood 30's or 40's when her late father-in-law was very well connected.

But again, I don't know anything about this stuff. I'll take a look at the pommel tomorrow and see if it easily dislodged.

The interesting thing about most of his stuff I've helped her sell is that he had an eye for authentic things. Not a great eye, mind you, but a good eye. He had a variety of interesting things and he tended towards the more utilitarian and less ornamental pieces. He had a few Japanese things that were both basically forgeries, but decent work nonetheless. So my take on him is that he seemed to be most interested in good, honest pieces. He was more concerned with utilitarian aspects and decent antiques. He wasn't into the "dress up to see the king" pieces but more "here's what I carry down the street for myself" pieces. That said, this one is a bit of a mystery. Big, heavy, dull edged, but solid. I've seen a *lot* of 30's and 40's prop swords from Hollyweird out here and most were absolute trash up close. Flimsy and built from pot metal and duct tape. This one didn't strike me that way. But again, it ain't my area so it might very well be a prop and I just can't tell the difference... Pearls before swine as they say.

Anyway, I don't know a thing about this and she considers it a sort of "white elephant". I have finished moving the pieces she wanted sold for her already and this was basically the last thing she asked if I'd be willing to help her move out of her house in addition to a few old armour books. Bottom line for me is that I don't have a clue about this stuff. And like I said her late husband kept all of the stuff out in the house in various areas somewhat on display. This one, however, was deep in the basement... That might be a big clue about provenance. Wink

Anyway, thanks for the help so far. I hope someone else might have a more concrete idea of what it is. My major concern is just putting it out there accurately.

Keith Larman
http://www.summerchild.com
Jonathon Janusz

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jan, 2006 5:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry I can't help on the sword, but if you don't mind my asking, what old armour books? Thanks!
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jan, 2006 6:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My guess is that it's the first "sword" he bought somewhere probably close to home. Happy We've all got one of those sitting around someplace from before we knew there was anything better out there. I've long since passed on the stainless highlander katana knock off but I've still got a "ninja-to" around somewhere or other. This thing is wrong in so many ways, the pommel is off, the blade looks like it was cut or stamped out of sheet metal the etc. etc. It may be old enough to be an antique, but any value it would have would at a guess come from some provenance of the sword (i.e. was used in some famous production or hung in a famous house or something) rather then as any intrinsic value as a sword. Just my opinion.
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
James Arlen Gillaspie
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jan, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It looks like 'old European tourist trade' to me. Sort of thing a fellow might pick up in Bavaria or any 'castled' place prior to the War, maybe.
jamesarlen.com
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jul, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry to dig up this old thread, but I have seen similar swords that were produced in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, and were used for ceremonial attire for guards at events such as the World's Fair, and other large, high-profile exhibitions of that era. The idea that it might be a prop (amongst others) is also valid, but I thought I'd share my experiences with similar swords.

Jonathan

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > What kind of sword is this? Warning: A few Large Photos
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic