Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Ireland - 25th Wedding Anniversary Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Jeff Larsen

PostPosted: Fri 14 Jul, 2006 6:46 am    Post subject: Ireland - 25th Wedding Anniversary         Reply with quote

Hi All,

My wife and I celebrate our 25th this October and are considering a trip to Ireland for about a week. Happy

Looking for things to do, see, drink, tour, etc. Like the castles, pubs, small towns, gardens, shopping (for her ), etc. Big Grin

I am up for your suggestions! Thanks in advance!!

Jeff Wink
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Fri 14 Jul, 2006 6:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have never been to Ireland, but I do wish to offer my congratulations on 25 years!! It's a rarity, these days.
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Pamela Muir

Reading list: 34 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 14 Jul, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Jeff,

Congratulations! Happy Anniversary!

Have you thought about the town of waterford? Our family was in Ireland in 1999 when my brother married a Dublin girl. As I recall Waterford has a cool "viking" tower and even my boys were impressed by the crystal factory. Take the train from Dublin and stay for a day or two in Kilkenny (spelling?) as well. I think it was Kilkenny that had a pub that's been in business for 600 years and a nifty medieval jail. It's been a long time and many Guinesses (spelling?) since then so my memory isn't all that clear.

Pamela Muir

Founder/Lead Instructor
Academy of Chivalric Martial Arts

"I need a hero. I'm holding out for a hero 'til the end of the night. He's gotta be strong, And he's gotta be fast, And he's gotta be fresh from the fight." ~Steinman/Pitchford
Jeff Larsen

PostPosted: Sat 15 Jul, 2006 4:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
I have never been to Ireland, but I do wish to offer my congratulations on 25 years!! It's a rarity, these days.

Hi Steve,

Yeah, me too. Never been to Ireland, or even overseas for that matter. Thanks about the 25. I can't tell you how fast it has gone. Seems like yesterday, getting married, spending a couple of "honeymoon years", having kids, diapers and formula, enrolling them in kindergarten, high school and college, oh, yeah, college loans.

Has gone very fast and the woman I married is still as beautiful as when I first met her and still madly in love. She must be crazy too, to stay married to me.

Anyway, thanks,

Jeff Wink
Jeff Larsen

PostPosted: Sat 15 Jul, 2006 4:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Pamela Muir wrote:
Hi Jeff,

Congratulations! Happy Anniversary!

Have you thought about the town of waterford? Our family was in Ireland in 1999 when my brother married a Dublin girl. As I recall Waterford has a cool "viking" tower and even my boys were impressed by the crystal factory. Take the train from Dublin and stay for a day or two in Kilkenny (spelling?) as well. I think it was Kilkenny that had a pub that's been in business for 600 years and a nifty medieval jail. It's been a long time and many Guinesses (spelling?) since then so my memory isn't all that clear.

Hi Pamela,

Thanks. Big Grin

I think that flying into Dublin is a possibility and then renting a car and hitting bed and breakfasts, while we head south. We'll check out Waterford, Kilkenny (right spelling), Cork, etc.

Thanks for the help!

Jeff Happy
Sean Quinn

PostPosted: Sat 22 Jul, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Jeff just seen your message i'm Irish, from the North. If you could give me some idea of what parts you are thinking of visiting i will try to come up with some ideas. Ireland is littered with historical sites so no matter what part you are thinking off visiting your bound to find something of interest. Ireland is very small so nothing is too out of reach . I personally love the west coast which has some beautiful landscapes and historical sites ie off the coast of Galway City is the island of Inis Mor ( about a 40 minute boat ride)that has the most breath taking ring fort called Dun Aonghasa (Dun Angus) there are several other ring forts on the island each on their own are pretty amazing but they all pale to Dun Aoghasa.Galway is also great for traditional music pubs alas there are shops but I cant tell you how good they are as I never make it past the pubs. On the east coast you have Dublin which is quite a bustling city plenty of shops and oh so many pubs. In the north you have the Giants Causeway if strange shaped rocks is your thing there is also the ruin of Dunluce castle and Carrickfergus Castle is fine example of a Norman castle which is well maintained and you can wander about its halls and ramparts the last time I was there they had a weapons room open for viewing but that was a few years ago. Anyway i'm beginning to sound like a tourist board rep. so if you want any more info let me know i'm no expert but ill do my best.
Many congrats on your 25th.
Sean

"A Prince must not have any any other object nor any other thought...but war,its institutions and its discipline; because that is the only art befitting one who commands". Machiavelli.
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Sat 22 Jul, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeff
If you're in Dublin anyway, the National Museum of Ireland has some pretty good exhibits. Lots of gold and bronze from prehistoric periods and the viking stuff includes the Balinderry sword (the one on the front of Pierce's book).
Geoff
Jeff Larsen

PostPosted: Sat 22 Jul, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Sean,

Thanks for the help. From Celtic and Viking history to scenic vistas, castles, museums, pubs, shops, places to stay, etc. are the types of things we're looking for. From talking to my wife, it sounds like a 12-day vacation in and she wants to spend time in London/England.

My guess is that we'll fly into Dublin and head south and west. So much country to see and so little time.

Thanks about the 25th. Time really goes by quickly, seems like yesterday when I was getting fitted for the tux and then driving to the wedding.

Thanks,

Jeff Big Grin
Jeff Larsen

PostPosted: Sat 22 Jul, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for the information. Sounds like we'll be in Dublin for a day or two and I'll definitely want to check that out.

Any good places to stay in Dublin?

Thanks,

Jeff
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Sun 23 Jul, 2006 3:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeff Larsen wrote:
Hi Geoff,

Thanks for the information. Sounds like we'll be in Dublin for a day or two and I'll definitely want to check that out.

Any good places to stay in Dublin?

Thanks,

Jeff

Sorry, can't advise on hotels. It is just a short ferry/train ride for me so staying wasn't necessary.
Geoff
Jeff Larsen

PostPosted: Sun 23 Jul, 2006 6:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for letting me know. Any suggestions for London? Looks like flying into Heathrow and need a place for the day or several days after landing and before Ireland.

Thanks,

Jeff Big Grin
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Sun 23 Jul, 2006 6:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeff Larsen wrote:
Hi Geoff,
Any good places to stay in Dublin? Thanks,Jeff

Hi Jeff

Firstly, Congratulations on your 25th !

The Evans and I stayed at O'Neill's Victorian Pub & Townhouse when we visited Dublin, and it was quite charming, reasonably priced, and right in the heart of the city. Here are a couple of links to it: http://www.oneillsdublin.com/
[url]http://www.bootsnall.com/hostels/d/6004/O'Neill's+Victorian+Pub+&+Townhouse.php[/url]
The Trinity Hotel is also just down the street, which was a little more expensive but nice.[

Have a great trip, Slàinte, Mac

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Sun 23 Jul, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Jeff,

First of all, congratulations for 25 years together! Happy

I was in Ireland on a study-abroad trip three years ago and the places we saw were pretty much 'off the beaten path' as far as regular tourism goes. We mainly studied Irish mythology, so we saw places like Clonmacnoise and New Grange, both located in the eastern-central part of the country. As Sean mentioned, you should see the cliffs of Dun Angus which are located on the Aran Islands just off of Ireland's northwest coast (you'll ride a ferry boat to get there). If you and your wife are into hiking/climbing, you'll want to check out Crough Patrick, Ireland's tallest mountain that will show you breathtaking views of the countryside.

If you're gonna hang out in Dublin for awhile, definitely see the Guiness Brewery on St. James Gate. It's a whole self-guided museum that shows you the past and present methods of brewing the everyone's favorite stout. The tour ends at the top of the place where they give you a complimentary pint of Guiness. Big Grin Also in Dublin is Grafton Street where you can get great bargains on just about any kind of souvenir, from postcards to Rolex watches. Oh, and Sean is right about the pubs. They're everywhere and no two are alike!

If possible, find a book called Portrait of Ireland (DK Publishing) that will tell you everything you ever wanted to know about visiting Ireland; your local library probably has it. Slainte and good luck! -Ted

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Sun 23 Jul, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeff Larsen wrote:
Hi Geoff,

Thanks for letting me know. Any suggestions for London? Looks like flying into Heathrow and need a place for the day or several days after landing and before Ireland.

Thanks,

Jeff Big Grin

Again, sorry mate, but I'm useless for hotels. I visited London when I lived near there, so I never needed to stop. I expect you know all the places to visit while you're there, but I'd put in a vote for the Wallace collection if time is short and you can only see a few.
Geoff
Jeff Larsen

PostPosted: Sun 23 Jul, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Mac,

Thanks for your help. This is exactly the kind of place that we are looking for. When you were visiting, did you happen to travel around Ireland and spend time at other places OR stay strictly in Dublin? Also, does Guinness come with the full Irish breakfast? Wink

Thanks about the 25th. It will be a heck of an anniversary. The first one/honeymoon was spent 2 weeks in the White Mountains of NH. Happy

Thanks again for your help.

Jeff
Jeff Larsen

PostPosted: Sun 23 Jul, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Edward Hitchens wrote:
Hey Jeff,

First of all, congratulations for 25 years together! Happy

I was in Ireland on a study-abroad trip three years ago and the places we saw were pretty much 'off the beaten path' as far as regular tourism goes. We mainly studied Irish mythology, so we saw places like Clonmacnoise and New Grange, both located in the eastern-central part of the country. As Sean mentioned, you should see the cliffs of Dun Angus which are located on the Aran Islands just off of Ireland's northwest coast (you'll ride a ferry boat to get there). If you and your wife are into hiking/climbing, you'll want to check out Crough Patrick, Ireland's tallest mountain that will show you breathtaking views of the countryside.

If you're gonna hang out in Dublin for awhile, definitely see the Guiness Brewery on St. James Gate. It's a whole self-guided museum that shows you the past and present methods of brewing the everyone's favorite stout. The tour ends at the top of the place where they give you a complimentary pint of Guiness. Big Grin Also in Dublin is Grafton Street where you can get great bargains on just about any kind of souvenir, from postcards to Rolex watches. Oh, and Sean is right about the pubs. They're everywhere and no two are alike!

If possible, find a book called Portrait of Ireland (DK Publishing) that will tell you everything you ever wanted to know about visiting Ireland; your local library probably has it. Slainte and good luck! -Ted

Hi Ted,

Thanks for the help.

I definitely am interested in Irish mythology and have a couple of books about it, as well as the tour of Guinness and complimentary perfect pint of Guinness.

I had heard the DK travel guides were good and Lonely Planet too. Will check both out at the bookstore in the next couple of days.

By the way, how is the weather in Ireland in October? Rain, cool?

Thanks for the help.

Jeff Happy
Jeff Larsen

PostPosted: Sun 23 Jul, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Geoff,

That sounds like a great idea. I am also looking at the Imperial War Museum in England. Too bad I couldn't make it in July as the Spitfires were on display and flying at this time.

While in London, I would like to check out the Tower of London, Windsor Castle, and a few other places.

Thanks,

Jeff Big Grin
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Mon 24 Jul, 2006 8:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeff Larsen wrote:
Hi Geoff,

That sounds like a great idea. I am also looking at the Imperial War Museum in England. Too bad I couldn't make it in July as the Spitfires were on display and flying at this time.

While in London, I would like to check out the Tower of London, Windsor Castle, and a few other places.

Thanks,

Jeff Big Grin

Yeah, it's a while since I was there, but the armoury at the Tower has some cool stuff. I had to queue for ages for the Jewel display though (pretty, but not sure it was worth the wait). If you can't get out to Duxford for the Spitfires, there is a good static display of them and their colleagues in the RAF museum at Hendon (to save you having to leave London).
Geoff
Sean Quinn

PostPosted: Mon 24 Jul, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeff check out Ireland.ie (official tourist board) for accomodation and stuff you should be able to find something that suits your wallet and taste. By October it is Autumn here and things start to cool down a bit and rain is never too far away.If you are thinking of heading south of Dublin I would recommend visiting Glendalough in Co. Wicklow ( I think its about 30 miles south of Dublin) beautiful setting of an old monastary established be St. Kevin .there is also a fine round tower on this site. Sean
"A Prince must not have any any other object nor any other thought...but war,its institutions and its discipline; because that is the only art befitting one who commands". Machiavelli.
Jeff Larsen

PostPosted: Tue 25 Jul, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Geoff Wood wrote:
Yeah, it's a while since I was there, but the armoury at the Tower has some cool stuff. I had to queue for ages for the Jewel display though (pretty, but not sure it was worth the wait). If you can't get out to Duxford for the Spitfires, there is a good static display of them and their colleagues in the RAF museum at Hendon (to save you having to leave London). Geoff

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for the heads up about the Tower. Would like to see the "jewels"! Big Grin

Yea, I'll check on the distance to Duxford for the spitfires and see if there is anything for the wife to enjoy while I try to stuff a spit in my pocket. Laughing Out Loud

Thanks for the help.

Jeff Wink

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Ireland - 25th Wedding Anniversary
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: