Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > European single-edged swords Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 28 Jan, 2004 10:26 pm    Post subject: European single-edged swords         Reply with quote

As many of you know, some of my favorite sword types are European two-handed and half-and-a-half single-edged swords and sabers. These come in the form of the Grosse Messer, Kriegsmesser, Swiss Saber, and many others.

These types of swords aren't exactly the most widely reproduced forms of swords, but there are certainly pieces available. The Lutel Kriegsmesser, the Cold Steel Grosse Messer are two examples of production models available.

Lutel has recently shown their version of a Swiss saber:

Click image for full-sized version

Now, for a production piece, that looks pretty good to me. It's supposedly priced near 400 Euro, or $500 USD. Not bad!

But now, for the true eye candy. This one is a swiss saber from Patrick Bárta of TEMPL Historic Arms:

Now. Wow.. that looks like the real thing. Absolutely authentic. I want it. Patrick made it two years ago and says these photos were taken after the owner had fought with it already. Looks new to me, still! Amazing piece.

Check out some historic examples:

http://www.myArmoury.com/albums/photo/4580.html
http://www.myArmoury.com/albums/photo/4131.html
http://www.myArmoury.com/albums/photo/2544.html
http://www.myArmoury.com/albums/photo/1261.html
http://www.myArmoury.com/albums/photo/1751.html
http://www.myArmoury.com/albums/photo/4141.html
http://www.myArmoury.com/albums/photo/1256.html

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Scott Byler

PostPosted: Thu 29 Jan, 2004 12:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd say from just looking at it that the Lutel is quite nice for the price range, and the Templ piece is really fantastic. Makes me wish I had one (but then, if anyone has been paying attention, they'd already have guessed that... lol) Wish there were more choices in the Euro single edge market. The more the merrier, I always say. Happy
Shawn Duncanson

PostPosted: Thu 29 Jan, 2004 4:31 am    Post subject: WOW         Reply with quote

Thanks for that Temple sword pic! These types are my favorite (as I am sure you have noticed from a few of my posts) I am going to get a semi custom Lutel Kriegsmesser in the future.....not much added just a fuller and a thumb ring to the hilt. Please let us know if you find any more like these!
Not all who wander are lost.
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 29 Jan, 2004 5:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Swiss saber Aahhhhhhhagggggggg(Homer Simsonesc drooling ).
J. Padgett

PostPosted: Thu 29 Jan, 2004 8:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well now I know what my first Lutel sword will be. That is very nice, and of course the Templ piece is too, but I can afford the Lutel.
James Nordstrom

PostPosted: Thu 29 Jan, 2004 9:36 am    Post subject: hotdiggitydog!!         Reply with quote

I honestly did not think anyone else really cared to much about the Swiss saber. I floated the idea out to a few smiths 5-6 years ago and had one give it a try. I finally wound up getting my very sweet Viking and Sax from him later when he could not produce the saber.

Guess it is time to talk to Mr. Art.

James
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Thu 29 Jan, 2004 5:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Interesting piece, to bad the decrease in dollar value has made some of the European options less of a bargain.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Scott Byler

PostPosted: Thu 29 Jan, 2004 6:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
Interesting piece, to bad the decrease in dollar value has made some of the European options less of a bargain.

You said it, Joe. I expect that things will stay the way they are, though, so...

I'd dearly love to be able to afford something like the Barta piece. Heck, I'd love the Lutel piece. Seems like my mind has been predominantly occupied by various forms of 2 handed saber in the last year or so. Just haven't had the cash to do anything about it. I want a couple of fantasy style pieces and a couple of very accurate replicas. I'm guessing that I may have none of them when it is all said and done. Nothing to keep me from dreaming, though. lol
Sherman Chow

PostPosted: Thu 29 Jan, 2004 10:33 pm    Post subject: Lutel Swiss Saber         Reply with quote

Is that pic and the info on their website? I've searched, but can't find it. Maybe someone more thorough can tell me.

Sherm
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 29 Jan, 2004 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Lutel Swiss Saber         Reply with quote

Sherman Chow wrote:
Is that pic and the info on their website? I've searched, but can't find it. Maybe someone more thorough can tell me. Sherm

No. It is not. He's made many, many more items than his Web site shows.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Markus Haider

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 30 Jan, 2004 1:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

With that much praise and this drooworthy pictures, I expect that Patrick's waittime will skyrocket. Very good for him, bad for us customers who have so much ideas for new swords from him! Big Grin
Sherman Chow

PostPosted: Fri 30 Jan, 2004 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Lutel Swiss Saber         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Sherman Chow wrote:
Is that pic and the info on their website? I've searched, but can't find it. Maybe someone more thorough can tell me. Sherm

No. It is not. He's made many, many more items than his Web site shows.

Hi Nathan,
thanks for the answer, but I think that I may have confused the readers here. I acutally meant my question for the lutel swiss saber. I put it in my post subject, but that's kinda difficult to see if you're not looking for it. Sorry!

Sherman
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Fri 30 Jan, 2004 10:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Remember ArmArt's Swiss saber? A very nice piece. It is still listed on their website. It is too bad that you would have to wait forever to obtain it.

Attachment: 32.09 KB
ARMARTSS.jpg
ArmArt Swiss Sabre
Angus Trim

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 30 Jan, 2004 10:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:

Hi Joe

Its a two way street. The dollar/ euro difference hurts American consumers that want European made swords, but it does give the American manufacturers a bit of a respite, and the ability to get on solider ground. And makes our wares a bit more competitive in Europe. In a couple of years, the currencies are liable to shift in value the other way, and it goes the other way.

This is a global kinda thing, and affects more than just the sword market {though the sword market is what we're all into here}. Local manufacturing has been gutted by Boeing's decision to move manufacturing out of the Puget Sound area, and other manufacturers moving manufacturing to Asia, in particular China. In the last two to three months, things locally have started to reverse a bit, as the surviving manufacturers have started getting more orders. The "survivors" for the most part, are the better quality outfits, and the outfits that were more responsible fiscally. Now we're liable to see two to three years of growth...... then the dollar will start growing vs the other currencies and the cycle starts all over again.....

Be patient Joe. The European manufacturers will be a bargain again.........

Auld Dawg

swords are fun
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Fri 30 Jan, 2004 4:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gus,

I'm not that disappointed that the European options are relatively more expensive but Lutel did a nice job of easing my tastes higher while not giving me sticker shock two or three years ago. Actually I hope the dollar stays a bit depressed for a while so things can really recover over here before swinging the other way again. Besides I'm quite happy with the American options I've got in the pipeline.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > European single-edged swords
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic