Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Help me find my first sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Marvin Stemp

PostPosted: Tue 27 Jun, 2006 6:50 am    Post subject: Help me find my first sword         Reply with quote

I'm new to sword collecting. I really wanted my first sword to be a great one. beautiful in design and very balanced. but There is a price limit. About 400 dollars tops. Thanks for you time.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Tue 27 Jun, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm going to assume you're looking for a medieval style sword.

You will have a tough time finding a "great" one for $400.00 or less. Your best choice is at this website - http://www.leesarmoury.com/ - with some of the older Gus Trim and Tinker models, all under your price ceiling.
Jonathan Blair

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Tue 27 Jun, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There's always the Albion Squire Line. All are under $400. http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/sw...squire.htm. Three of these have been reviewed by myArmoury: the 13th century Knightly sword, the 13th century Great sword, and the 15th century Bastard sword.
"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." - The Lord Jesus Christ, from The Gospel According to Saint Matthew, chapter x, verse 34, Authorized Version of 1611
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Tue 27 Jun, 2006 8:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Keep an eye on the Marketplace forum here. You'll often find very nice pieces in your price range.
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Michael Eging

PostPosted: Tue 27 Jun, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have to agree with Sean... Cool I have found some Lutels, Albions, as well as A-Trim and other's in your price point in the "classifieds" here. I recently got an Armour Class pappenheimer from a member in that price point and absolutely love the weapon.

Welcome to the club! Cool

M. Eging
Hamilton, VA
www.silverhornechoes.com
Member of the HEMA Alliance
http://hemaalliance.com/
Jaromír Kožiak

PostPosted: Tue 27 Jun, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I like Red Gur swords, which are currently about 150 USD. Good price, good-looking sword, durable blade...
http://www.sword-gur.com/
George Hill

PostPosted: Wed 28 Jun, 2006 6:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Save another 50 or so and get an Atrim.
http://angustrimdirect.com

To abandon your shield is the basest of crimes. - --Tacitus on Germania
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Wed 28 Jun, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Market place.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Sat 01 Jul, 2006 7:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree with Sean, Michael, and Joe. Try the Marketplace here. You'll find swords in the $400-range (give or take) that would cost you several hundred bucks more if purchased brand-new. Also, many people who frequent myArmoury know how to properly take care of their swords, so there's still the assurance that you are buying a quality item that's been properly maintained.
"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Hugo Voisine

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sat 01 Jul, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have to agree with Jonathan Blair concerning the Albion Squire Line. I received my Squire Line Viking yesterday and for 350$ I think it's really underpriced. The balance, the general feeling you while swinging the sword is just fantastic. The sword has a very wide blade but it feels like a feather in your hand. I received a 2102 Del Tin the day before (the price is similar), and in terms of maniability there is no comparison.

The finish may not be as good as for the Next Gen Line but is still very elegant and clean in comparison to many other swords.
Angus Trim

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 01 Jul, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Edward Hitchens wrote:
so there's still the assurance that you are buying a quality item that's been properly maintained.

I'd have to disagree with this a bit....... I'd say buyer beware. If you know the seller's rep, then its possible, even probable you're getting a good one.

On the other hand, earlier this year, I had someone ream me on my "sales" email because of this rough, nasty loose, poor cutting "1313" he had just received. Since I didn't recognize the name, I asked a few questions....... eventually had him send me the sword.......

It was an AT XIIa ok, still had the Albion mark on it. Which meant it was at least six years old. Could have gone thru several owners, could be on its second owner. The edge was one Albion had put on {another indicator of the age of the piece}, and the cracked handle was bubinga {another indicator of the age}........

Saying it had signs of abuse is an understatement..........

I wound up telling the gentleman exactly what it would take to repair it to "snuff". And also had to tell him that even doing that, the blade has been abused, and likely was some invisible fatigue in the blade.

By the time he'd bought his "new" sword, sent it here, had it rebuilt, had it shipped back to him, he was into it more than if he'd just bought a new sword......... but he doesn't have a new sword, he has a cleaned up old sword that has some fatigue in the blade..............

And it could wind back on the used market again at any time..........

swords are fun

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Help me find my first sword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic