Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Reenactment in the midwest? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Nathan Hoin

PostPosted: Wed 28 Jun, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reenactment in the midwest?         Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

I have been looking for a reenactment company to join for a while now, but just finding groups in the States has not been easy. The few I can find seem to be on the coasts. I, however, live in Texas, where reenactment tends to be monopolized by WWII and the Civil War. Umbrella groups also seem to be absent. Does anyone know of any groups in the midwest (excluding SCA, I swore them off when I was 13), or even of a decent umbrella group for medieval reenactment companies in the states? Any help is appreciatedi right now. Thanks in advance!

-Nathan
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Wed 28 Jun, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Try looking/asking over at FireStryker:

http://www.wolfeargent.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Wed 28 Jun, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

what time period were you interested in? there are several small groups in the usa for different eras. a few large umbrella groups were tried but due to locational issues and egos they all fell to teh wayside. www.vikingsna.org is a great group for vikings, normans, saxons. Regia also has a USA chapter for the same time frame. there are a LOT of roman groups as well. mid to late medieval is the small part. there are some A+ groups out there, but they range from 5-20 people per group and only do certain events.
Nathan Hoin

PostPosted: Wed 28 Jun, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults, thanks for the link, I'm sure it will be very helpful to my search. Chuck, I'm interested mainly in the 16th century, specifically the French wars of religion (I know, that makes things even more difficult). But I am also very interested in 15th century Germany/Bohemia as well (still difficult), For what it's worth I already have a complete ensemble (doublet, hose, jacke, turnshoes etc) correct for the late 15th century. I'm really not interested in the early middle ages or the classical age. As a hopeful historian, I am really looking for a living history/reenactment group with high standards for authenticity. I'm at the point where I can't take going to Ren Fairs anymore (where people wearing kilts and lots of leather laugh at you for wearing wool hose and an acorn hat), I watch the local SCA muster and don't know whether to laugh or just cry. I really don't care if the groups are small, I want to be serious, accurate, and scholarly, and meet people who share those interests.
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Thu 29 Jun, 2006 3:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

ah good ok a starting point.

i only know of 2 16thc landskenect(sp?) groups in teh usa. MD, OH. there maybe more i just dont know about them.

15thc there's my group www.lordgreys.org and if you use the firestryker link it will take you to Wolfe Argent's website (mass) and theres the Order of the Rose in OH. the groups in Florida and CAlfi just clsoed up shop. but theres a small groups starting out your way. if ya PM me your contact info i'll send it the the guys that are working on it Happy
Chris Last

Reading list: 8 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 29 Jun, 2006 6:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There used to be a division of the Trayn'd Bandes of London in Austin, TX. Here's the contact info from the main site:

Trayn'd Bandes of London (Westminster Trayn'd Bandes). Jennifer Davis & James Barnes, 11612 Fast Horse Drive, Austin, TX 78759 USA; (512) 345-4803; jbnjenny@io.com.

" Hang fires are all fun and games untill someone gets their eye poked out... by charging calvary." - J.Shoemaker

Chris Last
GSM-Bristol
http://www.gsmbristol.org
Nathan Hoin

PostPosted: Thu 29 Jun, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the response, everyone. Chuck, I have sent you the PM, as well as checked out your site. Very impressive, I'd try and join your company in a minute! And Chris, thanks for the info on the Trayn'd Bands, are you sure they are still around? It would be nice if they were, but I can't seem to find anything about them.
Chris Last

PostPosted: Fri 30 Jun, 2006 6:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan-

I honestly have no idea. I haven't heard anything from the Texas branch for about two years, but the main group's website has been updated within the last year. You may even want to check with them directly to see if they have any updated contact info.

http://www.pbm.com/gardiners/

" Hang fires are all fun and games untill someone gets their eye poked out... by charging calvary." - J.Shoemaker

Chris Last
GSM-Bristol
Nathan Hoin

PostPosted: Wed 05 Jul, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I can't get in contact with the Trayn'd Bands in Austin or any of the main group either. Kind of frustrating. Chris, do you know if there are any forums for 16th-17th century groups sort of like Firestryker? I'm thinking about starting a 16th century group based on Coronado and the Conquistadors, since all the 16th century missions around my area would be great for LH and might generate some interest. I'm thinking that if I could find a site similar to Firestryker, I might be able to find some interested people.
Philip C. Ryan

PostPosted: Wed 05 Jul, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

An idea for ya Nathan. Maybe you could contact the organizers of the Texas Renaissance Faire which happens every fall. They might have some contacts for ya (never had a chance to attend it , so it may be just a dead end).
Nathan Hoin

PostPosted: Wed 05 Jul, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion Phillip, but I don't think Tex Renfest is the right place to look. The fair has become increasingly dominated by goth kids, and from what I hear, the administration more business and entertainment oriented.
Chris Last

PostPosted: Thu 06 Jul, 2006 7:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan-

I sent you a PM with some more info.

Chris

Chris Last
GSM-Bristol

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Reenactment in the midwest?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic