Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Movie Title Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Ken Demyen

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jun, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: Movie Title         Reply with quote

I am trying to find the title of a '90s action movie. The movie is about an olympic fencer who accidently killed his opponent during a match. The man ends up involved with some secret underground swordfighting organization after being blackmailed (or something like that). One humorous scene included a role player, claiming to be a 14th level barbarian, who tries to get into the swordfighting group (the results wern't very good for him). I have tried to find the title from searching but have had no luck.
Stephen S. Han

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jun, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sounds like Ring of Steel with Bob Chapin. I met him a few times when I used to fence at Westside Fencing Center. He did the internet series "The Hunted" and some of the action was filmed in and around the Helms Bakery Building.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110991/
Ken Demyen

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jun, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thats the one! Thanks!
I see why I couldn't find it on searches at the IMBD site, it has no plot summary listed.
I have been looking for that title for quite some time now.
Ransom Prestridge

PostPosted: Tue 27 Jun, 2006 6:42 am    Post subject: Almost sounded familiar         Reply with quote

At first I thought you may have been talking about "By The Sword," http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101524/ another 90's "action" (more drama, I guess) about a fencer who accidentally kills his opponent and then later ends up working as a janitor in the fencing school owned by the son of the man he killed. I think that's it, anyway. I remember the movie being good when I was younger, but I haven't had a chance to see it in a while.

"Ring of Steel" is new to me, though. Glad you become reacquainted with an old film! Funny when that happens like that.

All your Aquitaine are belong to us!
Ken Demyen

PostPosted: Tue 27 Jun, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I saw By the Sword while I was searching ( I put it on my list of movies to get), along with another that look pretty good "The Blade of Doom", a Japanese 1960s Samurai movie. It is amazing what you can find while doing online searches. I also found a short essay on fencing deaths here: http://www.answerbag.com/q_view.php/53989 Highlander seemed to be the most popular result during my searches.
Any other good sword movies while we are talking about it?
I guess I will have to add to my movie collection now.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 27 Jun, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ken Demyen wrote:
I saw By the Sword while I was searching ( I put it on my list of movies to get), along with another that look pretty good "The Blade of Doom", a Japanese 1960s Samurai movie. It is amazing what you can find while doing online searches. I also found a short essay on fencing deaths here: http://www.answerbag.com/q_view.php/53989 Highlander seemed to be the most popular result during my searches.
Any other good sword movies while we are talking about it?
I guess I will have to add to my movie collection now.

Oh, Blade of Doom is a great film: A somewhat psychopathic swordsman obsessed with being the best looses his nerve when he encounters / witnesses / participates in a mistaken identity assassination attempt, when the " victim " kills most of his attackers and the main character feels fear for the first time when he realizes that he has finally met someone he can't defeat.

( From memory and could have gotten a few thing wrong, there is a lot of getting into the guys head as he looses the only thing that gave meaning to his life: Being invincible. Oh, the character is also the kind who would casually kill just to see if his sword was sharp. Slow paced film though, but the fight scenes are great. )

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Ken Demyen

PostPosted: Wed 28 Jun, 2006 7:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A friend of mine just happened to have a copy of The sword of Doom, so I borrowed it yesterday. hopefully I will have a few minutes to watch it now.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 28 Jun, 2006 7:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ken Demyen wrote:
A friend of mine just happened to have a copy of The sword of Doom, so I borrowed it yesterday. hopefully I will have a few minutes to watch it now.

And you can refresh my memory and I am curious if I got most of what I said right or wrong. It's also grim and dark and not the Hollywood type happy ending movie. Actually I don't remember the end of the movie that much, the scene I focused on seemed to be THE important turning point of the story. Don't want to give too many spoilers to ruin it for others. Wink Laughing Out Loud

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Movie Title
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic