Some Antique Smallswords
Rod Akeroyd & Son Fine Antique Arms & Armour

A silver hilted small sword

A silver hilted small sword probably English circa 1740-50.The hilt profusly decorated with classical scenes and the blade plain& of triangular form(28"). A very nice example.

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

Irish Silver hilted Small sword

An Irish silver hilted small sword with boat shell guard by Bennett of Dublin. The Colichemarde blade etched on either face and measuring 32"long.The vellum covered wooden scabbard inscibed on the the locketwith the makers name & Address(bottom 10" of scabbard missing). A superb example is very nice condition.

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]
Very nice stuff! The smallsword really doesn't get enough appreciation among modern sword enthusiasts, in my opinion. Those are beautiful.
Bill Grandy wrote:
Very nice stuff! The smallsword really doesn't get enough appreciation among modern sword enthusiasts, in my opinion. Those are beautiful.

Bill,

I agree 100%.
I really like that 2nd one ......

Perhaps it's time for this barbarian to get civilized and own at least one of these little knitting needles ?

But ya just nu a good claidheamh mor will come along and spoil dat plan ;-)

Alba Gu Brath , Mac
Here is one of my favorites of hilt type 113. A officer's colichemarde with a boatshell guard & shark skin wrapped handle.

circa 1740-60
blade 30 1/4"

Attachment: 82.93 KB
c5_3.jpg

Attachment: 70.1 KB
e8_3.jpg

Attachment: 60.03 KB
22268185.jpg

A superb silver-hilted American Smallsword

Attachment: 77.6 KB
scan0002.jpg

Attachment: 32.61 KB
scan0001.jpg

Attachment: 50.55 KB
scan.jpg

Featured in The American Sword 1775-1945 & Swords & Blades of the American Revolution.

Attachment: 35.12 KB
scan0002.jpg

Attachment: 10.63 KB
scan0002.jpg
blade detail
From Hermann Historica

One of the most beautiful smallswords that I've seen online.

French, circa 1780

Attachment: 34.5 KB
Hermann Historica1.jpg

A wonderful 18th century smallsword from Czerny's International Auction House.

Attachment: 23.73 KB
00093.jpg

Thomas McDonald wrote:
I really like that 2nd one ......

Perhaps it's time for this barbarian to get civilized and own at least one of these little knitting needles ?

But ya just nu a good claidheamh mor will come along and spoil dat plan ;-)

Alba Gu Brath , Mac

Ah Mac,

There's a great line from the old Walt Disney film Rob Roy: Highland Rogue (following Rob's return from the court of German Geordie): "... and all the fine English gentlemen wore these long bodkins! Not a real man's sword among 'em!"

:D
I wonder how many Hielanders got the life let out of them by "these long bodkins?" The duel in the end of the more recent horror named Rob Roy was one of the more ridiculous items ever set to film. By every right, Archie should have turned Rob into a leaky bag of blood withing momentsnof the commencement of the duel, since that is how the smallsword worked.

Now, I am a member of American Clan Gragor and I found the whole damned movie distasteful and a slur on the character of Rob Roy MacGregor, so I am probably biased.
these have never been my thing but some of them certainly exhibit quite a bit of craftsmanship.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: