PostPosted: Mon 19 Jun, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Jean,

Nice link.

http://www.GageCustomKnives.com/
John Gage
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Mon 19 Jun, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is a photo of the finished Ballock. I will take some better pics during the day tomorrow under better light.
I am also working on an ebony and steel and purpleheart and brass version. I will post pics of them as well when they are finished.

Cheers,

John

Attachment: 99.64 KB
[ Download ]

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 19 Jun, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

John;

I was happy before based on the first picture: WOW, now I'm even looking forward to mine MORE ! I don't know if I can take better pictures. Eek! Laughing Out Loud

At the moment I would go for a Bronze, steel version for the hilt / scabbard and I' m guessing you mean using different woods for the the handle and wood scabbard ( Not leather covered I assume ).

The wood combination I' m still open to what kind of woods: To be discussed soon.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
John Gage
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 20 Jun, 2006 5:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
John;

I was happy before based on the first picture: WOW, now I'm even looking forward to mine MORE ! I don't know if I can take better pictures. Eek! Laughing Out Loud

At the moment I would go for a Bronze, steel version for the hilt / scabbard and I' m guessing you mean using different woods for the the handle and wood scabbard ( Not leather covered I assume ).

The wood combination I' m still open to what kind of woods: To be discussed soon.

Hi Jean,

The choices are for the hilt only. The scabbard will be leather with a wood or leather core. I haven't decided which yet. Although a leather core with a leather sewn on cover is the more authentic choice for this type. I will have an example of what the scabbard will be soon. I also took better photos this morning. Here they are.
The price of $700 is only being offered to myArmoury members so if you contact me most likely i will recognize your name, but please be sure to say that you are a member here just in case.

Regards,

John

Attachment: 120.91 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 117.6 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 121.95 KB
[ Download ]

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 20 Jun, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh, I see where I got it wrong: The brass and purplehart and the steel with ebony comments were about two different knives and not a combination of materials used on one knife ! And the leather covered wood core scabbard is what I originally assumed you meant to do, I only got confused later about your intent.

The pictures are very good again.

Good to mention that the $700 price is for " myArmoury " members, as a lot of people who are not members read this site.
Better to make that clear before a lot of people place orders.

I should be able to make my order 100% official as soon as the Paypal verification process is completed.
( A week to ten days MAX. , depending on how fast the snailmail gets to me. ) ( Oh, official on my end, that is, but I will be happier when I can get that payment to you: Nothing is more official than actual money sent. )

The bloodwood looks really good. Big Grin

Henrik Bjoern Boegh

PostPosted: Tue 20 Jun, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

John, that's a very attractive dagger! If I were as stinking rich as I dream I were, I would contact you immidiatly! Big Grin
Also I think the other historical dagger on your site, the Royal Dirk, is beautyful. The decoration on the scabbard looks awsome! But I have to add that I dislike the stone on the pommel.

You really should make some more historical stuff!

Cheers,
Henrik

Constant and true.
John Gage
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 20 Jun, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Henrik Bjoern Boegh wrote:
John, that's a very attractive dagger! If I were as stinking rich as I dream I were, I would contact you immidiatly! Big Grin
Also I think the other historical dagger on your site, the Royal Dirk, is beautyful. The decoration on the scabbard looks awsome! But I have to add that I dislike the stone on the pommel.

You really should make some more historical stuff!

Cheers,
Henrik

Hi Henrik,

Thank you sir, Happy. As far as historical daggers i am working on a few different designs that i will be offering in my product line as i complete them.

Cheers,

John

John Gage
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jun, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

If anyone is interested the prototype pictured is for sale for the price of $700. with a scabbard and frog.

Thanks,

John

John Gage
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jun, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here are the other 2 daggers that i am woking on that will be available when they are finished. I have finished carving the grips and the blades were heat treated yesterday. I plan on having these 2 finished up over the weekend.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

John

Attachment: 96.32 KB
[ Download ]

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jun, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh, what are the specifications of heat treat are you aiming for ? Harder than swords I would think ?

Uniform hardness or is the tang and back softer than the edge. In any case I have full confidence you know your craft and uniform or not the heat treat can be well done, but in theory selective hardening can have it's advantages.

The Pict look weird in color, like a negative maybe or these need a clean up. Wink Laughing Out Loud

The shapes look good though. Razz Big Grin

Last edited by Jean Thibodeau on Thu 22 Jun, 2006 8:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

Reading list: 327 books

Spotlight topics: 32

Feedback score: 100%
(12 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Thu 22 Jun, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
The Pict look weird in color, like a negative maybe or these need a clean up. Wink Laughing Out Loud

They're in-progress shots, Jean. He's said this is right after heat-treat.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jun, 2006 8:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Jean Thibodeau wrote:

They're in-progress shots, Jean. He's said this is right after heat-treat.

Oh, bad and ambigious phrase structure I'm afraid: The part " or these need a clean up " I was intending to say the knives need to be cleaned up not the photos need to be cleaned up:blush:

John Gage
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 28 Jun, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello,

I just finished up the ebony and steel version. I amde some minor tweaks to the design, such as a slimmer blade profile and a slightly slimmer hilt. I will also be offering this prototype for sale at $700.00 w/ scabbard and frog.

Regards,

John

Attachment: 99.39 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 98.67 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 88.34 KB
[ Download ]

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 28 Jun, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The slimmer profile works for me, very subtle but it's there, a bit more of a triangular feel that is mirrored by the triangular feel
of the handle.

The " nut " at the pommel seems a bit different and maybe less modern looking: Was the the first version screwed on or peened construction ? This last one looks as if it's peened ?

I can almost see the reinforced edge just before the appleseed edge in these pictures but these things are often easier to feel than see. The reinforced edge of the Albion Brescia is also hard to see in photographs.

Nice. Big Grin Cool

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

Reading list: 327 books

Spotlight topics: 32

Feedback score: 100%
(12 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Wed 28 Jun, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I personally find the second version quite a bit more attractive. It's probably due to the choice of materials more than the general form. Well done, John.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
John Gage
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 28 Jun, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
The slimmer profile works for me, very subtle but it's there, a bit more of a triangular feel that is mirrored by the triangular feel
of the handle.

The " nut " at the pommel seems a bit different and maybe less modern looking: Was the the first version screwed on or peened construction ? This last one looks as if it's peened ?

I can almost see the reinforced edge just before the appleseed edge in these pictures but these things are often easier to feel than see. The reinforced edge of the Albion Brescia is also hard to see in photographs.

Nice. Big Grin Cool

Hi jean,

Yes the appleseed edge is slightly visible. The Rivet block or acorn is different, i like the second one better as well. They are both peened, i didnt realize until later that the first resembles a modern nut. I will never thread on any parts of my knives its just not my style.

Cheers,

John

Last edited by John Gage on Wed 28 Jun, 2006 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
John Gage
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 28 Jun, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
I personally find the second version quite a bit more attractive. It's probably due to the choice of materials more than the general form. Well done, John.

Thank you Nathan. Happy

Regards,

John

John Gage
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 28 Jun, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Also,

Haven spoke with Kevin Iseli today we agreed that he will be making the scabbards for these. I should have a photo of the prototype in the next few days.

John

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 28 Jun, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

John Gage wrote:
Also,

Haven spoke with Kevin Iseli today we agreed that he will be making the scabbards for these. I should have a photo of the prototype in the next few days.

John

More good news. Cool Cool Cool Ah, NOT peened ! Also good, just seems more historically correct ! ( Although, I'm not obsessive about that, these are better when something " accidentally " looks too modern like that " nut " ) Didn't really notice the nut until I saw the new version.

Ah, strange how little it takes in a change of profile to look different ? Yeah, as Nathan said this slimmer one is better, but that doesn't mean that even slimmer would be better: Too triangular it would maybe look more like a Rondel blade.

Different profiles aren't always a case of being "better ", but " different ", this is why some very similar looking swords just have that hard to define " TASTE " to them that make you want to own both.

Just when you thought it was good, it gets better. Laughing Out Loud : This is what makes designing or just appreciating good lines in anything sculptural and at some level the shape of the shape is the thing.

( Edited the 5th of July: Changed the word " nothing " which didn't make any sense to what I was actually thinking of writting i.e. SOMETHING. Sorry, sometimes my mind and what my hand type don't agree with each other. Wink )

Last edited by Jean Thibodeau on Wed 05 Jul, 2006 12:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
John Gage
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 05 Jul, 2006 8:38 am    Post subject: Ballock scabbard and a preview         Reply with quote

Hello again,

Here is a picture of the scabbard prototype, it will change a bit i think. A couple tweaks to do yet with it. Also a pic of another ballock in process, this one will be a bit more pricey than the daggers posted previously. I thought i would give you a preview of that dagger in process.

Thanks,

John

Attachment: 105.05 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 53.69 KB
[ Download ]

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > New Ballock Dagger
Page 2 of 5 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: