Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > New Dagger Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Joel Whitmore

PostPosted: Wed 28 Jan, 2004 4:11 pm    Post subject: New Dagger         Reply with quote

A while back I thought my Anduril was lonely and needed a companion dagger. I kicked the idea around with Patrick and came up with this. It is a large dagger with a nearly 14"-16" blade. Now this is my intepretation and it will change with Patrick's needs as a balde maker. He may have to shorten or lengthen the blade in get everything right. Tell me what you think:

Attachment: 12.06 KB
[ Download ]
Jay Barron

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 28 Jan, 2004 6:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Beautiful, Joel. It looks like the perfect companion piece for your Anduril.
Constant and true.
Felix Thieme

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Wed 28 Jan, 2004 6:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd say taper the fuller, but that's just my opinion. Even better, have the end of the fuller follow the same shape as the blade itself.
Joel Whitmore

PostPosted: Wed 28 Jan, 2004 7:11 pm    Post subject: Ideas         Reply with quote

Felix Thieme wrote:
I'd say taper the fuller, but that's just my opinion. Even better, have the end of the fuller follow the same shape as the blade itself.

Not to worry Felix. I thought of having the fuller follow the balde shape also. However, Patrick assured me he wanted to do soemthing "special" for the fuller. I will let his wonderus, artistic mind have free reign there. While the dagger you see in the pic is my design, it's not nearly as personal to me as the Anduril design was. What I mean is that the dagger design was only meant to be a general outline of what I wanted while the sword was very specific. Even with Anduril, some changes from my original design occurred during the sword-making process. I had a very specific shape and dimensions for that one, but it was up to Kevin Cashen to make it into a real, functional sword. So it's best to let the smith tell you what can and cannot be done and what's best for the blade shape and overall dimensions of the piece. I trust Patrick's knowledge in these areas and I am not afraid to let him have his artistic input into the general design. I have been very lucky thus far in my collecting career. This would be only the second custom piece I will have made and I have been fortunate enough to have two men make them whom I trust with my money and my imagination. It's really great when you find like-minded people who also are cool enough to be called friends.
Shawn Duncanson

PostPosted: Thu 29 Jan, 2004 4:39 am    Post subject: oops         Reply with quote

ddfe
Not all who wander are lost.

Last edited by Shawn Duncanson on Thu 29 Jan, 2004 4:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Shawn Duncanson

PostPosted: Thu 29 Jan, 2004 4:47 am    Post subject: Stingish         Reply with quote

I like the pommel, grip, and fittings. Though the blade just reminds me too much of sting, though I like the uniform fuller! Narsil, later to be anduril, was made by the dwarves initially, and the leaf blade-ish designs seem to be attributed to elves by the movies anyway. Do you have a name for it? The same dwarf smith that made Narsil made a dagger called Angrist mentioned in the essay called Of Dwarves and Men. Though I have not read the essay I have seen references to it. Here is one such reference.

Going further with the Dwarven smiths of both Belegost and Nogrod, it was written in the Silmarillion that they equipped the Sindarin Elves of Thingol's realm: "...Thingol's armouries were stored with axes and with spears and swords, and tall helms, and long coats of bright mail; for the hauberks of the Dwarves were so fashioned that they rusted not but shone ever as if they were new-burnished." In Unfinished Tales it is also written: "Now Thingol had in Menegroth deep armouries filled with great wealth of weapons: metal wrought like fishes' mail and shining like water in the moon; swords and axes, shields and helms, wrought by Telchar himself or by his master Gamil Zirak the old, or by elven wrights more skillful still. For some things he received in gift that came out of Valinor and were wrought by Feanor in his mastery, than whom no craftsman was greater in all the days of the world." This establishes a picture of Elven or Dwarven warriors of the first age, clad in mail hauberks and high conical helms, bearing their deadly arms with shield, or two-handed. The smith Telchar of Nogrod is of particular note. Among his works were the Dragon Helm of Dor Lomin, the knife Angrist, and the Sword Narsil (which was later reforged by the Elves of Imladris into Anduril). In the essay Of Dwarves and Men, Tolkien notes that the Dwarves of the Elder Days and Second Age also equipped the Fathers of Men with gear of war (as with Narsil noted above).

found at http://www.thelonelymountainforge.com/middle_earth.htm

Not all who wander are lost.
Joel Whitmore

PostPosted: Thu 29 Jan, 2004 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Stingish         Reply with quote

Shawn Duncanson wrote:
I like the pommel, grip, and fittings. Though the blade just reminds me too much of sting, though I like the uniform fuller! Narsil, later to be anduril, was made by the dwarves initially, and the leaf blade-ish designs seem to be attributed to elves by the movies anyway. Do you have a name for it? The same dwarf smith that made Narsil made a dagger called Angrist mentioned in the essay called Of Dwarves and Men. Though I have not read the essay I have seen references to it. Here is one such reference.

Going further with the Dwarven smiths of both Belegost and Nogrod, it was written in the Silmarillion that they equipped the Sindarin Elves of Thingol's realm: "...Thingol's armouries were stored with axes and with spears and swords, and tall helms, and long coats of bright mail; for the hauberks of the Dwarves were so fashioned that they rusted not but shone ever as if they were new-burnished." In Unfinished Tales it is also written: "Now Thingol had in Menegroth deep armouries filled with great wealth of weapons: metal wrought like fishes' mail and shining like water in the moon; swords and axes, shields and helms, wrought by Telchar himself or by his master Gamil Zirak the old, or by elven wrights more skillful still. For some things he received in gift that came out of Valinor and were wrought by Feanor in his mastery, than whom no craftsman was greater in all the days of the world." This establishes a picture of Elven or Dwarven warriors of the first age, clad in mail hauberks and high conical helms, bearing their deadly arms with shield, or two-handed. The smith Telchar of Nogrod is of particular note. Among his works were the Dragon Helm of Dor Lomin, the knife Angrist, and the Sword Narsil (which was later reforged by the Elves of Imladris into Anduril). In the essay Of Dwarves and Men, Tolkien notes that the Dwarves of the Elder Days and Second Age also equipped the Fathers of Men with gear of war (as with Narsil noted above).

found at http://www.thelonelymountainforge.com/middle_earth.htm

Thanks for the input Shawn. I had envisioned it to be a dagger brought to Middle Earth from Numenor. While I don't have it named, I thought of not as a sister blade to Anduril (meaning that it was made also by Telchar) but as a companion to it, perhaps carried by Elendil or Isildur.As told in the Akallabeth, the men of NUmenor had a great friendship with the Eldar in the beginning of that realm. So I thought of it as a gift from the Noldor or one of the other of the Calaquendi residing in the west. Perhaps it was a gift from Feanor himself for help in the wars against Morgoth ! Perhaps it does look like the movie Sting, but I still like the shape and think it makes a great-looking dagger. I am anxious to see what Patrick has in store Big Grin

Joel

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > New Dagger
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic