Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Exotic wood crossbow - 380/450 lbs Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
David Ruff

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Tue 23 May, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject: Exotic wood crossbow - 380/450 lbs         Reply with quote

Greetings,

Am new here and just wanted to post up a project i just completed.

This is a swiss design made from leopardwood and madagascar ebony. The top is inlaid with solid hippo ivory and gemsbok horn. The ivory is legally obtained.

This bow has a 380/450lb steel prod that was hand made. The prod itself is capable of 550/650lb draw weight but was underdrawn for this goatsfoot lever bow. This is a mid range build for the company and the crossbow is VERY stout. Last week i was putting bolts through 1" laminate oak plywood at about 50 yards.

More pictures can be seen at: http://www.uccrossbows.com/2006koabuildpage4.html

Contact me for questions or for pricing.
Joe Fults

Feedback score: 100%
(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Tue 23 May, 2006 8:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks very neat.

How long does it take to build something like that?

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Steven H

PostPosted: Tue 23 May, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Do you have any pictures/diagrams on how to use the lever?
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 23 May, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh, as in my topic thread I would ask what kind of bolts do you use for practice and what kind of backstop is both safe to use:
No over-penetration and being able to pull the bolts out again ! There is a longer more detailed version of this question on my topic with a slightly different focus on power of crossbows versus longbows.

Oh, and welcome again on your first topic post. Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
David Ruff

PostPosted: Tue 23 May, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments

back stop wise on this bow - yes it is possible to stop them using normal field points and a large burlap bag full of loosely packed plastic bags. But if you use bodkins - no.... the bolt will shatter or go thru whatever your hitting.

quick wmv file is located at: http://www.uccrossbows.com/media/goatsfootcocking_0001.wmv

This shows the goatsfoot in action on two runs, i do not cock the bow however due to being in the front yard during filming and i will not cock this bow unless i am about to fire it.

This bow took about 82 hours to build - this includes all forge work, wood work ect. I had a hand in every aspect of the bow and in many things i was the builder/maker. The heavy prod is the only thing i did not have a direct hand in. This said however, i do and can make prods to about 2000lbs now on the forge.

This is a picture of the lever used

And these are the bolts it fires

And finally - i think the picture just looks cool - this is a 75lb prod coming out of the forge - i was taking the pictures. Credit for the forge goes to Wild Wolf forge in texas. My friend and partner is pictured doing the hot work. http://www.uccrossbows.com/sitebuilder/images/prod7-746x488.jpg

We are currently starting work on a 1700lb crank crossbow, i need to get fair/merchanting over with and then i can devote time on it more. But rest assured i will post pictures Happy
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Tue 23 May, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I learned to follow your link and see the answer to my question is 73 hours over six months.

Now a different question.

What did you use to bind in the prod?

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Tue 23 May, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

BTW the forging process photo is neat too.
David Ruff

PostPosted: Tue 23 May, 2006 8:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
BTW the forging process photo is neat too.

this bow was built over about 6 months and 73 hours. Its actually now at 82 hours and coming up on 7 months. I have tweeked the bow some and added things not in the pictures as they are about 4 weeks old. At this point it is pretty much done and i have stopped clocking time working on it.

The binding is hemp, i use this as it seems to add to a period look and it is easy to bind, it will shrink, but the downfall to it here in texas as the humidity rises - it seems to loosen. Over all i expect to rewrap this prod about every 300 shots. Which on a moderate crossbow (350 to 450 range) is a lot of shooting. <--- this is a conservative number of shots and mainly due to the summer humidity. Results in dry areas will increase shot count.

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Exotic wood crossbow - 380/450 lbs
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic