Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Hank Reinhardt's New Venture Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Hank Reinhardt
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 17 May, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: Mrl & Hank Reinhardt         Reply with quote

OK guys. First. I can't tell you who I will be working with until the 20 of June. Its a large company, but not MRL or CAS Iberia. I can tell you some of the swords we're planning on doing. The River Witham Viking Sword, a copy of my rapier that I bought from Ewart Oakeshott, a two hander (Swiss/German style) A falchion, old style, based on several comtemprary drawings, several knives, sword hilted, rondel, baselard, etc. a Dussack, hand and a half, medieval sword, a very good copy of the sword of Henry V. Also in the works are some axes, probably maces and war hammers. Still the same problem about pole arms. Shipping is a killer.
From the work I have seen, I expect very good swords. We do plan on offering threee levels of swords, Top end, middle, and lower cost. However even the lower cost swords should be quite good, and easily worth the money. Plans are also in the works for both re-enactment and theatrical blades. I would appreciate, and listen, to all comments and suggestions for various swords. Can't guarantee that I will make them, but I will most assuredly give it a lot of thought.
On a separate note, with a separate company, at the Blade Show onSunday, we will put on a demonstration of the new sparring swords that Eddie and have developed. We at last got the patent, so we're hoping to have them available before Christmas..
Also, thanks for the kind words and support. Let me try to repat it with excellent swords at very good prices. Hank

Hank Reinhardt
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Wed 17 May, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Mrl & Hank Reinhardt         Reply with quote

I look forward to seeing the results Hank. Happy
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Wed 17 May, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Your pending announcement and business venture sound very interesting, Hank. I will be keeping an eye out.
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
W. R. Reynolds

PostPosted: Wed 17 May, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hank,

Please reconsider pole weapons and just ship the head with instructions on how to do the haft. Let the end user do or have the haft done. There is a huge void out there in the way of availability of quality pole weapons.

Bill

"No matter who wins the rat race.......they are still a rat."
Jonathan Blair

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Thu 18 May, 2006 3:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

W. R. Reynolds wrote:
Please reconsider pole weapons and just ship the head with instructions on how to do the haft. Let the end user do or have the haft done. There is a huge void out there in the way of availability of quality pole weapons.

I second that notion.
All in favor say "aye." Razz

Seriously though, it sounds like some good news will be coming in a little over a month. Whichever company it is that you are with now is lucky to have you involved.

"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." - The Lord Jesus Christ, from The Gospel According to Saint Matthew, chapter x, verse 34, Authorized Version of 1611
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 18 May, 2006 6:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hank;

Just a couple of ideas that might or might not work with the business model / company you will be working with:

First approach would be making all your own product and / or sub-contracted with good quality control.

A second approach would be to make in-house the medium and high quality range and go outside for the economy but still well made / designed product.

Also, a third possibility would be to in addition to the above distributing the best of the inexpensive stuff out there: I'm thinking of looking at East European made stuff that is very well made and very " cheap " pricewise as an alternative to the India or China made stuff.

Just to name a name off the top of my head: Importing and distributing Lutel maybe or maybe just some of their Pollarms ?
Or just unmounted Pollarms heads if shipping " loooooooooooooong " Pollarms is just not economical.

A lot of these Eastern European or Ex USSR countries make very appealing products but personnally I am a little paranoid about sending my Creditcard info over there or ordering anything not in the U.S.A. or Canada. ( I might take a chance on the well established ones though ! But would feel a lot more at ease with somebody else importing stuff to North America. )

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Thu 18 May, 2006 7:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:

A lot of these Eastern European or Ex USSR countries make very appealing products but personnally I am a little paranoid about sending my Creditcard info over there or ordering anything not in the U.S.A. or Canada. ( I might take a chance on the well established ones though ! But would feel a lot more at ease with somebody else importing stuff to North America. )

Lutel tend to do money order, not credit card, so you just get ripped off by the long established thieves (your bank). That aside, they are very reliable and good to work with ( I bought from them before they joined the EU).
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 18 May, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Geoff Wood wrote:
Jean Thibodeau wrote:

A lot of these Eastern European or Ex USSR countries make very appealing products but personally I am a little paranoid about sending my Creditcard info over there or ordering anything not in the U.S.A. or Canada. ( I might take a chance on the well established ones though ! But would feel a lot more at ease with somebody else importing stuff to North America. )

Lutel tend to do money order, not credit card, so you just get ripped off by the long established thieves (your bank). That aside, they are very reliable and good to work with ( I bought from them before they joined the EU).

Thanks, and it's mostly that I wouldn't send my Creditcard info to any company I've never heard anything about, even in North America, and I'm sure that most foreign suppliers we have had some feedback about here as mostly honest and safe to deal with. ( I hope I haven't offended any of our OUT OF North American friends out there. )

I still would hesitate buying directly from outside North America for Customs duty reasons as there are no duties when I buy from the U.S.A. but there would be from Europe I think. As to sales tax those would be there in all cases.

Now if I saw that piece I just couldn't resist from Europe then these considerations wouldn't hold much weight and having done it once doing it again would be easier.Wink Laughing Out Loud

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Hank Reinhardt
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 18 May, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Guys, thanks again. I will start trying to work on the pole arm problem. The cost of shipping is just very high, and most people wont want to pay it, but I will see what I can do.
For your own information, spears are really not a problem to get shafted. Many spears have sockets that are about one inch in diameter, and broom poles you can find. They are hard wood, and quite tough. You may also check out the KMart, local hardware store, and some Wal-Marts in the drapery department. You can find very tough hardwood shafts, some fluted and some with twists, and in lengths ranging up to 10 feet, have even ran across 12 footers. Usually these are poplar.l I've stabbed and chopped with them and haven't had one break yet...Hank

Hank Reinhardt
Jonathan Blair

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Thu 18 May, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Any chance for proper period armor (wedge rivet maille, 14 - 16 awg mild steel plate)?
"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." - The Lord Jesus Christ, from The Gospel According to Saint Matthew, chapter x, verse 34, Authorized Version of 1611
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Thu 18 May, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hank,

The 20th of June, you say? The anxiety begins! Razz Best of luck in your endeavors! I hope it all works out for you. Happy

-Ted

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

Reading list: 327 books

Spotlight topics: 32

Feedback score: 100%
(12 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Thu 18 May, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have split these posts into their own topic and placed them here in the "Makers" forum because they're much more of an announcement than a general discussion. Like others, I'm eager to know more about this new venture.

Cheers!

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Alex B.

PostPosted: Thu 18 May, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hank, may I request a rondel dagger engineered for WMA use? There's a real lack of good practice daggers.
William Goodwin

PostPosted: Thu 18 May, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd like to put in a vote for...........................

you guessed it..............................a Mortuary Big Grin

Cheers,

Bill

Roanoke Sword Guilde

roanokeswordguilde@live.com
"I was born for this" - Joan of Arc
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Thu 18 May, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would love to see some good falchons, Cutlass/Hangers and even some good Sabers made by a good company that are at least closer to originals than many companies make. I don't know what the demand for such weapons would be for most of the public, but I'd definitely buy one of each! :-)
Bryce Felperin
Member of the Autonomous Collective
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 100%
(11 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Thu 18 May, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ohhh, it sounds good Hank!
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Fri 19 May, 2006 6:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There are already many Medieval and Renaissance swords on the market. It might be interesting to supply some less represented types like -

Hangers and Cuttoes

Migration era swords

Bronze Age swords that aren't pathetically overweight.

It is possible that these types are underrepresented because only a few want to buy them. But ODF does have a 2 year backup on its 18th century stuff.

I'm also casting a vote for swords specifically designed for reenactment and stage combat. I hate using heavy clunkers onstage.
Alex Oster

PostPosted: Fri 19 May, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

[quote="Geoff Wood"]
Jean Thibodeau wrote:
... so you just get ripped off by... (your bank).

Albersons: Money order= $.85 FWIW

The pen is mightier than the sword, especially since it can get past security and be stabbed it into a jugular.
This site would be better if everytime I clicked submit... I got to hear a whip crack!
My collection: Various Blades & Conan related
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Fri 19 May, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
Bronze Age swords that aren't pathetically overweight.

You could try Bronze Age Craft. I've just got an 18inch bladed leaf type from him that came out about 550 gms.
http://www.templeresearch.eclipse.co.uk/bronz...r_sale.htm
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Fri 19 May, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

[quote="Alex Oster"]
Geoff Wood wrote:
Jean Thibodeau wrote:
... so you just get ripped off by... (your bank).

Albersons: Money order= $.85 FWIW

Sorry, don't know them. Maybe I should limit my comments to UK banks.
Geoff

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Hank Reinhardt's New Venture
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: