Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Aberdine cutting party Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Gavin Kisebach

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 14 May, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Aberdine cutting party         Reply with quote

A friend of mine who lives in the middle of nowhere (somwhere north of Aberdine, WA) had a weekend get together with some SCA friends. I brought my Albion Knight, and two trashbags stuffed with milk jugs. Most of these guys had never handled anything but SLOs and wallhangers, and they prettymuch thought I was daft to spend more than $200 on a sword. The Knight is a good sword to start with, it handles very easily in any grip and is very precise. My friend Russ (who is a knight in the SCA) has about a 1" margin of error when cutting, and gets about 8 cuts out of a milk jug. Eek!

Suffice it to say they have seen the light. Milk jugs are the perfect poor mans tatami mat, says I. They're readily available, relatively safe, and provide at least a little hint at wether you're cutting properly or not (if you get all wet, or if you knock the thing over, you're doing it wrong). Also used were a kris, a cheapy "celtic" leafblade, and a biga$$ arkansas toothpick my friend was touting as a shortsword. I forgot my warhammer, that's fun to let people use because the first guy usually gets soaked, and stands there shivering the rest of the time. After that people use the spike rather than the face Wink

Anyhow, I thought I'd share some pics. I like the intense look of constipation on some of the faces as they focus on the target.

Attachment: 57.81 KB
DevinGoodShot.JPG

Attachment: 113.23 KB
GavinFOUR.JPG

Attachment: 96.2 KB
RussCut2.JPG

Attachment: 93.43 KB
JerryCasuallyCuts.JPG

Attachment: 93.59 KB
Gavin Cut 1.JPG

Attachment: 99.65 KB
RussImpact.JPG

Michal Plezia
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sun 14 May, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Heheh you had much fun. I like the view of those trees.I wish I could live in the middle of nowhere....
www.elchon.com

Polish Guild of Knifemakers

The sword is a weapon for killing, the art of the sword is the art of killing. No matter what fancy words you use or what titles you put to
it that is the only truth.
Gavin Kisebach

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 14 May, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Agreed. Western Washington is arguably on of the most beautiful places in the U.S.. A four minute walk through the woods behind his house leads to a river full of salmon, he's got his own private shooting range, I could have stayed a week or two and been very content.
Michal Plezia
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sun 14 May, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

And I have to spend best days of spring in the city..... Worried Private shooting range?Salmon?Just take large number of bottles for cuting and stay there if you have a chance!
www.elchon.com

Polish Guild of Knifemakers

The sword is a weapon for killing, the art of the sword is the art of killing. No matter what fancy words you use or what titles you put to
it that is the only truth.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Aberdine cutting party
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic