Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Welcome a very old friend Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Gordon Clark

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 11 May, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Welcome a very old friend         Reply with quote

About 25 years or so ago I used to play Dungeons and Dragons (yeah - I know, surprise, surprise) with a group of guys from high school. Imagine my surprise when I got a PM from one of them today! Please welcome our newest memebr (at time of this posting), Tim Scott - a very old - and long lost - friend. TIm was the first person I knew who owned interesting edged weapons, so it is great to see him online here.

Gordon
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 11 May, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Welcome, Tim!

Heh, I have a somewhat similar story. One of my best childhood friends, whom I'd lost contact with some 10-15 years ago, decided to Google me last winter. (Ironically he was also my D&D buddy back when we were kids). He found this site where he was able to register and PM me. Unfortunately, he soon after wasn't able to use his computer, so he hasn't been able to participate, but he and I have been in constant contact via phone ever since, and I'm going to go visit him in Chicago soon.

myArmoury.com... bridging gaps everywhere. Razz Laughing Out Loud

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Tim Scott

PostPosted: Fri 12 May, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi, guys ! Thanks for the warm welcome.

Back in high school I used to collect all things sharp and pointy, and played D&D in Gordon's group. I haven't added much to my collection since those days, and I do my gaming on computer now. Which is how I ended up here. A few months ago one of the guys over at Psycho Dog Studios ( its a modding sight for Elder Scrolls III ; Morrowind ) posted a link to myArmoury. I've been stopping by occasionally since then, reading a few posts and drooling over the weapon collections. It was a fortuitous bit serendipity that I saw one of Gordon's posts and recognised him !

Since I've been coming here, I've been resisting the temptation to dive back into collecting. ( especially since my current budget puts me firmly in the MRL price range, not those lovely Albion blades ... Must resist urge to run up Mastercard bill ! Eek! )
I finally caved last week and ordered one of those German halberds that MRL has on closeout. ( no telling where this is gonna lead now ! )
Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 12 May, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tim;

Welcome, and during the coming year, if you budget carefully you could get and Albion or 3 to 5 MRL I guess you have to decide on quality versus quantity. Wink

Although you may find that if you buy those 5 MRLs you might end up still buying that Albion or A & A.

With Albion the Squire line would not be too much more expensive than 2 MRLs.

You could also look at Angus Trim for good quality function first swords with some compromises as to historical accuracy, if that is an important factor for you or not. http://angustrimswords.net/

So between the Albions and the MRLs there is a middle ground of very acceptable to very desirable swords.

There are some interesting MRL swords though and their return policy is generous should you get a " lemon " or a model that doesn't appeal to you once you have it in hand.

If you read enough on this site for a while before rushing your first big purchase you should avoid a lot of buyers remorse. Razz

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Fri 12 May, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Welcome aboard.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Fri 12 May, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

great! good to meet ya

so gordo.... ya gonna drag him into 15thc?????? muhahahhahaha
Gordon Clark

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 13 May, 2006 4:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chuck Russell wrote:
great! good to meet ya

so gordo.... ya gonna drag him into 15thc?????? muhahahhahaha

Well, he is in Texas...

As far as adding to a collection on a budget - watch the classifieds, those deals are generally pretty good. Arms and Armor's monthly special is nice as well. Last month they had their medieval dagger up for $135, which is a a good price for a dagger that was already a good value IMO. One of their daggers would give someone "moving up" an example of the upper end product. Of course, then you are hooked, which might result in credit card hell...

Again - great to hear from you Tim - hope to see you around here a lot.

Gordon
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sat 13 May, 2006 6:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Welcome aboard, Tim! It is amazing to see where one harmless little MRL/Windlass purchase can lead. That's how I started about 2-1/2 years ago, spending about $50 on a closeout. Since then ... Del Tin ... Castle Keep ... Albion ... Arms & Armor ... Vince Evans. Cool Eek!
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Welcome a very old friend
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic