Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > 2 new Next Generation "viking" swords Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
James King

PostPosted: Fri 23 Jan, 2004 8:38 pm    Post subject: 2 new Next Generation "viking" swords         Reply with quote

I recieved two more NG vikings this week(the Clontarf and the Gotland).I cannot say enough about these two swords.All 3 next gen vikings I have are similar swords , but each is very unique.If I had to pick one sword to represent a "typical" sword of the period it would be the Vinland.If I wanted a sword strictly for its looks it would be the Gotland(Broad blade tapering to a wicked point, wide fuller, large flat pommel, the Pamala Lee of my collection) handles very well. The clontarf .. well I was'nt crazey about the early photos, but It kinda grew on me.After recieving the sword it is hands down my favorite.It is a realy attractive sword,very well caste fittings etc.This sword is *the* best handling sword I have ever picked up... period.It tracks perfectly, I can't waite to do some serious test cutting. BTW the oxblood grips have a much browner hue than the photo's indicate,(sorry for the poor quality) Again, thanks to Albion for the hard work and commitment to quality and customer service (Mike is a hec of a guy).

Attachment: 52.25 KB
100_0049.jpg

Attachment: 48.07 KB
100_0050 nexgen.jpg

Attachment: 53.38 KB
100_0054.jpg

Attachment: 44.25 KB
100_0058 gotland.jpg

Robert Zamoida

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Sat 24 Jan, 2004 9:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congrats James! Those are beautiful swords; the Gotland is my personal favorite out of the NG Viking Line Happy .
Rob Zamoida
"When your life is on the line, you want to make use of all your tools. No warrior should be willing to die with his swords at his sides, without having made use of his tools."
-Miyamoto Mushashi, Gorin no Sho
Gary Grzybek

PostPosted: Sat 24 Jan, 2004 10:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I love the engravings on the clontarf the best but the other two have a nicer outline.

Man, I'd have a really hard time deciding.

All, very very nice indeed Big Grin

Gary Grzybek
ARMA Northern N.J.
www.armastudy.org
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sat 24 Jan, 2004 1:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The engravings really do add something to them.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Patrick Fitzmartin

PostPosted: Sun 25 Jan, 2004 5:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greetings James King, My congrats sir! Absolutely beautiful. Great photos. You're a man after my own heart with the oxblood. Most of my swords have black grips. I just got an A&A Shifford with a brown grip and I really like it. Of the 3, the Gotland and the Vinland are my favorites. I like the Clontarf's stats though, but not the engravings. I agree with your anology on the Gotland. Excotic and exciting. If I may, since you have all 3, what are the grip lengths? I can't let this pass either. Where did you get the axe? Wink Sincerely, Patrick Fitzmartin
Andrew Rosario

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jan, 2004 9:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow! Great collection of NG Viking swords. I've been swooning over my Gotland ever since I received it, about two weeks ago. While it's my first sword from Albion Armorers it will not be my last. I went with the brown grip and scabbard on my Gotland. It definitely is the sexiest one of the three. Although I would go more with the young Jennifer Connelly analogy, but that's just my personal preference Wink

Andrew
James King

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jan, 2004 1:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Fitzmartin wrote:
Greetings James King, My congrats sir! Absolutely beautiful. Great photos. You're a man after my own heart with the oxblood. Most of my swords have black grips. I just got an A&A Shifford with a brown grip and I really like it. Of the 3, the Gotland and the Vinland are my favorites. I like the Clontarf's stats though, but not the engravings. I agree with your anology on the Gotland. Excotic and exciting. If I may, since you have all 3, what are the grip lengths? I can't let this pass either. Where did you get the axe? Wink Sincerely, Patrick Fitzmartin
All 3 grips are @ 3 3/4" long. The axe is from therion Arms.I also have a shifford (with an" Albionized" brown grip)
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jan, 2004 2:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My Gotland came in today. Its grip measures in at 3.6 inches long. Luckily that seems to be an exact fit for my hand.
J.G. Grubbs

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jan, 2004 2:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi James,

Regarding the axe from Therion....what are your impressions?

Thanks!

"The reputation of a thousand years may be determined by the conduct of one hour."
Samurai Proverb

James Grubbs
Patrick Fitzmartin

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jan, 2004 3:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greetings James King, Thank you very much for the info. I thought the axe might be from Therion. I have visited the makers site. He has some nice axe offerings. I have not checked his direct pricing though. This may be a silly question but I guess there isn't any comparing the Albions to the Shifford as all 4 have their own unique characters. I would like to hear your thoughts though as you have all 4 and I may be heading in this direction. By the way, what is an "Albionized" grip? Sincerely, Patrick Fitzmartin
Thomas Bengston

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jan, 2004 4:43 pm    Post subject: I love these swords.....         Reply with quote

nice pics James....great buys...

I picked up the Gotland and it has become my favorite rave to date....The Vinland is a pretty thang with the engraving. I may do a similar thing to my Gotland making it unique to me.

I also am planning to carve a cocbolo scabbard for it...w/baldric....this will take a while as my garage is too cold to work in right now....and free time has been hard to come by lately....but when finished, I will post a happy thread for my fellow warriors.

skäl.....

Attachment: 46.02 KB
hilt.jpg

....jag älskar mina svärd...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > 2 new Next Generation "viking" swords
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic