Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Medieval Garb Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Patrick Kwelty

PostPosted: Thu 04 May, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject: Medieval Garb         Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone knew of there to get any good Medieval clothing/leather armor/armored pants and boots. I'm looking for particularly from the waist down in the time period of around 1100-1200. The crusades basically is what im looking for. I'm trying to get a nice outfit that looks pretty close to what Tiberius looks like from KOH, but all i need is the waist down and can't seem to find any places. Most of the places I find have clothing that have a "cheesy" looking remake of what the creator thinks it would look like. I would rather look rugged and beat up and look more authentic than clean cut. Any and all help is appreciated.
Wolfgang Armbruster

PostPosted: Thu 04 May, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Maybe not exactly your period, but check out http://www.revivalclothing.com
Lloyd Clark

PostPosted: Thu 04 May, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Historic Enterprises has a new selection of clothing from that period.

http://www.historicenterprises.com/

Cheers,

Lloyd Clark
2000 World Jousting Champion
2004 World Jousting Bronze Medalist
Swordmaster
Super Proud Husband and Father!
Jeff Hsieh

PostPosted: Thu 04 May, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Patrick,

For that time period you want chausses and braies. Bascially wool or linen tights and baggy undershorts. It looks pretty dorky, but that's the price of autheniticity. On your feet go low leather shoes. Think thin soles and no heels. If you are going military you might then wrap a layer of wool around your legs and put on your mail leggings over that. I think that the leggings would be held up by straps on your belt and by a leather strap buckled around the knee area.

"Tuitio fidei et obsequium pauperum."
- The Knights Hospitaller, 1130 AD
Eric Allen

PostPosted: Thu 04 May, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeff Hsieh wrote:
Hello Patrick,

For that time period you want chausses and braies. Bascially wool or linen tights and baggy undershorts. It looks pretty dorky, but that's the price of autheniticity. On your feet go low leather shoes. Think thin soles and no heels. If you are going military you might then wrap a layer of wool around your legs and put on your mail leggings over that. I think that the leggings would be held up by straps on your belt and by a leather strap buckled around the knee area.

What he said.

Chausses are tied with "points" (lacings) either to the braies or to a belt worn UNDER your shirt. The tunic was normally long enough to cover your braies, so it looks like you're just wearing loose tights. Occasionally, one could wear a garter around the knee to help keep the chausses in place. In hot weather, you can unlace the points and roll the chauses down to the knee or even the ankle.

If you have the time, patience, and someone you can trust near your "sensitive areas" with needles, you can make a passable pair of chausses yourself (I tried it. The shape is rather simple, but doing the foot is more difficult--so I left them off).

Finding accurate maile chausses (armored leggings) will be more difficult. I've only seen a couple places that mass produce mail chausses, and normally in butted mail. Historically, they didn't always go all the way around the leg, though sometimes they did. Those that didn't were laced up the back. I don't recall if any of the mass produced mail chausses had integral foot protection.
There is some evidence for greaves during that period, though they don't seem to have been as popular or common.
Patrick Kwelty

PostPosted: Fri 05 May, 2006 6:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you everyone for the help. I'll definately look into your suggestions.
Patrick Kwelty

PostPosted: Fri 05 May, 2006 7:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just looking around I found this website http://www.armouronline.com but I am unsure of whether anybody has had any good/bad experiences with them. That's as far as Maille leggings goes. We'll have to try and see.
Jonathan Harton

PostPosted: Fri 05 May, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

ABout the previous armour site, they have a viking helm with horns. Just because of that, they are not a very accurate looking company. Use the other sites, they are the best.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Medieval Garb
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic