Side Ring?
Im having trouble finding exampels of side ring (= the ring that goes across the cross, not the smaller one at the end of the arms) on swords before 1500. If any of you lot should have some,please let me know.

Kasper
1500 seems to be about when they became popular. Interested in them for any particular reason?
Doing some research on the development of the sword and I came across Oakeshott who sets the date for side rings to as early as 1420-30 based on two illustrations from a bibel and a manuscript. I have not been able to find any swords with side rings that dates so early. must swords with siderings dates after 1500. Albrecht Dürer does not have any illustrtions of swords with side rings from before 1500. So I was just woundering.......
The only weapon I've seen that had something like a sidering before 1500 was the Messer with it's Nagel (nail).
And you're right, no longswords depicted in Dürer-woodcuts show siderings or complex hilts (At least I'm not aware of any). Most of them look pretty much like Albion's upcoming Munich-sword with their segmented grips and s-curved crossguards.
I know they definately existed throughout the 15 c. because I've seen several examples... I just don't have an online picture to reference at the moment. Will get back to you if I find one...
Thanks Bill! That would be nice.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: