Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Open Question for Peter Johnsson on Scrammaseaxes! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Martin Wallgren

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 18 Apr, 2006 8:40 am    Post subject: Open Question for Peter Johnsson on Scrammaseaxes!         Reply with quote

I heard an interviue with you in Swedish on the topic of scrammaseaxes, witch was almost painfully teasing BTW, and I now wonder if you have any new ideas and theorys on this very fashinating weapon.

The last half year My interesst in the Roman Ironage and the darkage has grown more and more. I have had the plaesure to train with a Paul Binns blunt Scrammaseax and also with som blunt "Vikingswords" and has a lot of new ideas on how to use a shield and a onehandsword. This training is done with intent and speed and we spar alot with fullcontact hits. The Scramma has stolen my heart.

Well In the interwiu you talked about a special kind of guard on some of the seaxes you had researched. I couldn´t get my head around what you ment and hope you could explain that here with pics. mabie?

Is there any evidens of grip as an a spatha or gladius on some of the seaxes you have seen? Because the Paul Binns one I have trained has a small oval brassguard ( see the one here http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=6022) and that is a more than enough to make counterattacks simillar to what you can do with a messer.

I would also like to say that I agree with your theory in the interwieu of the seax as a weapon for a lightly armoured fighter who rely on speed instead of heavy protection. The speed and agillity of the seax is very fun to play with.

(All info and/or pics. from anyone are more than wellcome.)
Thanx alot! Martin

Swordsman, Archer and Dad
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Tue 18 Apr, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hej Martin,

Right now it´s one of those periods...
Preparing work for the show in Solingen last weekend April.

Could I return to this question in a week and a half?

I wonder what it was I said or did not say regarding guards in the interview?
It´s probably just rubbish or a clear violation of truth anyway.

I was looking at these seaxes together with Eric McMugh.
Perhaps he could jump in?

Best
Peter
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 18 Apr, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter;

I also look forward to your more complete reply when you have a little more time to do it justice. Cool

If I may, I will add a question / comment of my own: I'm sure I'm not the first to find a great deal of functional / design similarities between seaxes and the Bowie knife, at least with the broken back version.

From those I have seen in pictures the clip of broken back seaxes do not seem to be sharp ! Are there any know one's where the clip is sharp ?

Even with no ancestral link the function of small seaxes and small Bowies as general purpose knives and of larger fighting versions seem to fill the same needs / uses.

As to fighting, I would think that what would work for one would work for both.

Oh, some early Medieval single edge dagger also look very Bowie like to me. Wink Big Grin

( Off topic, I'm seriously thinking about getting the Albion Regent soon, for a historical piece it would not be out of place in a " Lord of the Rings Universe: Very elegant pommel ! Just thought I would comment on how beautiful this sword is . Big Grin )

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Open Question for Peter Johnsson on Scrammaseaxes!
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic