Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New MRL swords Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next 
Shae Bishop

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Mon 17 Apr, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: New MRL swords         Reply with quote

I was just looking around on the Museum Replicas Ltd. website and I noticed that there seem to be quite a few new sword models. I have mixed feelings about the new offerings but some certainly are interesting and others make me cringe a bit. The new "Archer's Falchion" caught my attention but there seems to have been a mix-up because the full-size picture was on the page for the "Bar Mace". Also, there is a recreation of a sword fron the recent movie "Tristan and Isolde" although it doesn't claim to be "officially liscenced". An odd bunch all-in-all. I'm not sure exactly how long these swords have been on the site but I just thought I'd see what everyone thought.

Here is a link to the swords page but be sure to look at all the pages because most are on the last few pages.
http://www.museumreplicas.com/webstore/eCat/S...words.aspx
Andrew Fox

PostPosted: Mon 17 Apr, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think this one's kind of cool. Sort of a low-budget backsword version of Albion's forthcoming Doge.

Attachment: 31.1 KB
0500854_D_000.jpg

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 17 Apr, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Andrew Fox wrote:
I think this one's kind of cool. Sort of a low-budget backsword version of Albion's forthcoming Doge.

ahhhh!!! I want it. It's interesting that it's single-edged. I'll have to pull out the books. It seems odd to me. I still want it, though, at that price.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 17 Apr, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

These are interesting:

"Renaissance Short Sword"

"Archer's Falchion"

"German Back Sword"

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Mon 17 Apr, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Andrew Fox wrote:

ahhhh!!! I want it. It's interesting that it's single-edged. I'll have to pull out the books. It seems odd to me. I still want it, though, at that price.

The original is pictured in Swords and Hilt Weapons and is said to be a "Venetian boradsword with knucklebow and finger ring, made in about 1450. Many similar fine fighting swords are preserved in the armoury of the Council of Ten in the Doge's Palace, Venice."

Jonathan
Gordon Frye

Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 17 Apr, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan;

Yup, I'm just going to have to break down and order one of those German Backswords. With a 37" blade, it will make a fine horseman's sword!

Allons!

Gordon

"After God, we owe our victory to our Horses"
Gonsalo Jimenez de Quesada
http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/
http://historypundit.blogspot.com/
D. Rosen

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Mon 17 Apr, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I wish they had a larger view of the 'upside' of that German back sword, Its flipped from the initial photo. I dislike that new English Cut & Thrust...it seems kind of odd for some reason, maybe its just the grip. I do like it though that MRL is making more late period swords, I seem to have developed something of a mania for sideswords/cut & thrust/Backswords/etc.

<---Initial Photo

-Daniel
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 17 Apr, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gordon Frye wrote:
Nathan;

Yup, I'm just going to have to break down and order one of those German Backswords. With a 37" blade, it will make a fine horseman's sword!

Allons!

Gordon

Seems like a good rough and tumble alternative to carrying your Dresden rapier and in the catalogue there is another pict showing the the other side of the guard with the rings: Reminds me a bit of the Cavelier rapier by A & A with a different style of blade. I would only wonder about the metal used for the guard: Real steel or some Zinc-like mystery metal ?

Is MRL using steel for their guards? I wouldn't trust Zinc for a using sword. ( No reason to believe it's Zinc but no reason to know if the guard is steel, at least from the catalogue description.

The price seems good for a mostly costume piece with potential as a theoretical real using sword. ( Could be used, but won't be used for sparring being a sharp, but could be used for cutting practice if the hilt assembly is sound. )

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 17 Apr, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

MRL uses steel and occasionally brass for their hilt fittings. There was a time that they nickel plated brass on some models, but that seems to be something not done now days. I've never heard of zinc/magnesium or any other "pot-metal" materials used parts on their European items.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 17 Apr, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
MRL uses steel and occasionally brass for their hilt fittings. There was a time that they nickel plated brass on some models, but that seems to be something not done now days. I've never heard of zinc/magnesium or any other "pot-metal" materials used parts on their European items.

Good, I wouldn't want to start false rumours or concerns: Thanks Nathan. Cool

I think the Zinc stuff is more on some United Cutlery fantasy stuff ??? I have a couple of those and I always worry that if I dropped one on a hard floor something would break off. Eek!

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Mon 17 Apr, 2006 8:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The stealth model Italian Bastard Sword...
. WTF?! Laughing Out Loud
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Mon 17 Apr, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow, I like that German backsword (why does that look familiar?). I also like the 'stealth' Italian Bastard Sword. That one kinda reminds me of a sword that MRL used to carry (they still might) called the -- let me think here -- was it the "15th century sword?" The entire thing, even the blade, was blued. It had a very stout tip and its cross-section seemed triangular. You guys know the one I'm talking about? Confused
"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 17 Apr, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Edward Hitchens wrote:
Wow, I like that German backsword (why does that look familiar?). I also like the 'stealth' Italian Bastard Sword. That one kinda reminds me of a sword that MRL used to carry (they still might) called the -- let me think here -- was it the "15th century sword?" The entire thing, even the blade, was blued. It had a very stout tip and its cross-section seemed triangular. You guys know the one I'm talking about? Confused

There was one called the "High Renaissance Sword" that I loved. The blade had a mid-rib. I would have "unblackened" the blade, but that's just me Happy Sort of wish I bought it because of the mid-rib.

Attachment: 6.09 KB
MRL-High-Renaissance.jpg
MRL High Renaissance Sword

G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Mon 17 Apr, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Edward Hitchens wrote:
I also like the 'stealth' Italian Bastard Sword.
So do I, though you'll notice I put the WTF?! emoticon after the pic, indicating my uncertainty as to the historical accuracy of a completely blackened sword. Can anyone comment on this? Happy
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Tue 18 Apr, 2006 6:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

G. Scott H. wrote:
Edward Hitchens wrote:
I also like the 'stealth' Italian Bastard Sword.
So do I, though you'll notice I put the WTF?! emoticon after the pic, indicating my uncertainty as to the historical accuracy of a completely blackened sword. Can anyone comment on this? Happy

I have not personally seen any examples of a blackened sword (or at least, not that I remember), but there is an illumination from the St. Albans Chronicle (c.1450) that depicts the Battle of Agincourt. The two horsemen appear to be fighting with blackened swords. The pommels resemble that of the MRL sword in question. Here is a link to the wikipedia entry for Agincourt, which has a small picture of the illumination I described: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_agincourt

Jonathan
Ken Rankin

PostPosted: Tue 18 Apr, 2006 7:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Must. Have. Archer's. Falchion. So very pretty...so very...very...pretty....and affordable Big Grin

Ken
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

PostPosted: Tue 18 Apr, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wait a second... Look at the quillons. These two aren't the same sword. Question Confused

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

PostPosted: Tue 18 Apr, 2006 8:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh, wait, ignore my last post! I just realized that the bars are a horizontal S-curve... I thought initially that they curved vertically. So, yes, they are the same sword!
HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Tue 18 Apr, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J.G. Hopkins wrote:
I have not personally seen any examples of a blackened sword (or at least, not that I remember), but there is an illumination from the St. Albans Chronicle (c.1450) that depicts the Battle of Agincourt. The two horsemen appear to be fighting with blackened swords.
Jonathan

I've noticed similar depictions in other old artwork, but I wouldn't necessarily trust those old paintings, as many of them also show the armour as appearing black, which I think was more an artistic style at the time than an accurate interpretation of the color of the armour. Question Happy
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Tue 18 Apr, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I really like the handle treatment on the Renaissance Short Sword and the Doge-like one (I can't find that on their website, what is it called?).

I am curious about the Archer's Falchion. I like it (and it would kind of compliment my Archer's Short Sword, right?), but there is just something that doesn't seem right. I think it is the guard. Does anyone know of an original that looks pretty close to this piece? (The Conyers Falchion isn't similar enough for me.) If not, can someone help me identify what isn't quite right with this one (Like I said, the guard doesn't look right to me, but I can't really explain why)?

-Grey

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New MRL swords
Page 1 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: