Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Roundel Daggers: "pierced" rondels? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Cole Sibley

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 20 Dec, 2005 1:55 pm    Post subject: Roundel Daggers: "pierced" rondels?         Reply with quote

Are there any historical examples of the rondels of a dagger having designs "pierced" or etched onto them? Would brass be a common material for the rondels?
John McFarlin

PostPosted: Sun 02 Apr, 2006 3:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Cole,

A little delayed, but I know piercing was used as a common technique in the era when rondel daggers were fashionable.

I would say, yes.

Brass as a common material? That's a little more tricky. There was a material called "latten," which roughly equates to brass. We may be getting into differences at the molecular level if we say that modern brass is not appropriate for replica weaponry.

Best

John

Jehan de Pelham, esquire
Compagniye du Chalis: 1370-1420
www.mron.org
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 02 Apr, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Roundel Daggers: "pierced" rondels?         Reply with quote

Cole Sibley wrote:
Are there any historical examples of the rondels of a dagger having designs "pierced" or etched onto them? Would brass be a common material for the rondels?

Brass wouldn't necessarily be common, but it is known to have been used. See here:

http://www.myArmoury.com/albums/photo/12768.html
http://www.myArmoury.com/albums/photo/12769.html

The fat part of the rondel is wood, but there are small brass rondels that sandwich them them.

As for me, I'm conviced that latten and brass are basically the same thing. I think the differences between modern brass and latten are about the same as between modern steel and steel used in 1400: maybe a slightly different alloy made a little differently, but the same general idea.

There are two examples in our Rondel Dagger spotlight with rondels of latten. There is another with rondels of brass.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

Reading list: 72 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 02 Apr, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Pierced pommels of the rondel daggers were common. There are examples with pieced grips as well. Those two characteristics seemed to have been common in England. As far as pierced blades were concerned, I cannot really comment though I would not be surprised if it was done. Brass (laten) was definitely used for decoration on the blades, but I suspect that this was more common in 15th and later centuries. For some examples check the "rondel spotlight " article we have, if you have not done that already.

Alexi

oops. I posted at the same time as Chad.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Roundel Daggers: "pierced" rondels?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic