Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Happy St. Patrick's Day from a new member Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Ken Rankin

PostPosted: Fri 17 Mar, 2006 5:33 am    Post subject: Happy St. Patrick's Day from a new member         Reply with quote

Greetings to one and all!

Happy St. Patrick's Day! I hope that everyone has a happy and safe St. Patrick's Day! My name is Ken and I am new here, but have been reading posts, articles, and reviews for the past week or so. What a great group, and a great site! My wife and I live in North Carolina, and have been collecting things sharp and pointy for the past 10 years or so. We started out with the cheapies, and slowly have been working our way towards swords of better quality. We enjoy making maille and garb. I am an amateur writer and poet. I am a big fan of Robert E. Howard, H.P. Lovecraft, and of J.R.R. Tolkien. Most of this started for us when the Lord of the Rings films came out. We joined a LOTR costume group on Yahoo and went from there. We're both very crafty (my wife moreso, she has an art degree) so we were compelled to learn how to make chainmail, scabbards, shields and garb. My first scabbard would qualify as a club Big Grin but I have been getting better at it. We don't do historical re-enactment, but enjoy going to Ren Faires and the like. Mostly our garb would be considered to be fantasy based. I look forward to learning new skills from others on the group, and hope to one day gain enough knowledge to help others like myself who sometimes get overwhelmed by the world of steel.

I plan on posting a couple of pictures of two swords we got off Ebay. They are not in the same catagory of swords that are usually posted about here, but I hope to be able to have the makers identified.

Ken
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Fri 17 Mar, 2006 6:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Welcome to myArmoury!

And in the spirit of the day,

May you live to be a hundred years,
With one extra year to repent.

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 17 Mar, 2006 7:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Welcome to the site and a good St-Patrick's day to you also.

What we all have in common is an interest in historical weapons, history in general and the design / function / arts / martial arts associated with the subject.

The approach can vary from strictly historical to fantasy: Each approach is valid and this site is open to all.

Appreciating the historical approach doesn't mean rejecting the fantasy approach, and I believe that one can enjoy both at different times: Good to learn the difference though. Wink And if one cheats with historical accuracy it's perfectly valid in a
" Lord of the Rings " context or with Sci. Fi. alternate history: Something I enjoy in my fantasy life where I can have dark ages armour next to late 15th Century plate for example ! But I also try to keep the real facts in mind when I focus on reality.

A lot of the quality fantasy stuff is at least inspired by the historical originals. Big Grin

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Last edited by Jean Thibodeau on Fri 17 Mar, 2006 5:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Fri 17 Mar, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Top o' the morning to you Ken!

And welcome to myArmoury. It's quite rare that we come across someone whose spouse is also into sharp and pointy things. Eek! Any sentence that mentions one's spouse usually ends with "... if my wife will let me." Razz

Yeah, if you're looking for the best and brightest in this sort of hobby, then look no further! Reenactors and scholars alike will frequent this site with us hobbyists. Well, enjoy! (Time for another Guiness Idea )

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Fri 17 Mar, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greetings to you too, Ken! One of the great things about this site is that we have people with all kinds of interests. Whether it's historical accuracy, Do-It-Yourself, fantasy, or anything in between, there is seems to always be someone here who has knowledge, and the rest of us get the fun of soaking it up. Of course, if you've been reading posts for a week, you already figured that out, so welcome, again!

And I second Edward's last comment. Gotta love that Guinness.

-Grey

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
Aubrey Boothe

PostPosted: Fri 17 Mar, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Welcome ,im new my self.
I started making chainmail 15 years ago,and dabbled in plate armor.
I did a little full contact fighting in the sca,with rattan weapons.
heres a mail shirt I made,the shoulder area is 6 to 1,and the rest is the more
common 4 to 1 pattern.its made from 14 gauge fencing wire.

Attachment: 82.79 KB
MVC-004F.JPG

Aubrey Boothe

PostPosted: Fri 17 Mar, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

heres a closer look

Attachment: 63.4 KB
MVC-005F.JPG

Ken Rankin

PostPosted: Fri 17 Mar, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aubrey Boothe wrote:
heres a closer look

Wow, great work Aubrey! My first project was a 4-in-1 shirt made from 17 gauge aluminum wire, which looked craptacular, so I doubled the rings, making it an 8-in-2. I am still not happy with the sleeves, but will post pics for those interested. I've graduated to rebar Laughing Out Loud

Ken
Ken Rankin

PostPosted: Fri 17 Mar, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

[quote="Edward Hitchens"]

And welcome to myArmoury. It's quite rare that we come across someone whose spouse is also into sharp and pointy things. Eek! Any sentence that mentions one's spouse usually ends with "... if my wife will let me." Razz

Laughing Out Loud You made my wife laugh Laughing Out Loud What do you get a girl with red hair that hangs past the backs of her knees? Damn straight, anything she wants Razz her first Christmas present from me after we were married was a claymore and targe. She's really crafty, which is a bonus for me. I'll have to bug her enough to join the group as well. And yes, she loves a Guinness Laughing Out Loud
personally I prefer a beer I don't need a spoon to enjoy Big Grin

Ken
Ken Rankin

PostPosted: Fri 17 Mar, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the warm welcomes from one and all! It's nice to talk to you guys, since I have been enjoying all the topics and comments made as well. In our area, the big thing to do, re-enactment wise, is either Civil War (War of Northern Aggression, War for Southern Independence, take your pick) or Revolutionary War (War for American Independence, Colonial Rebellion etc) We have a large Scottish community here, and have two big Highland Games. We've been testing the waters with the folks in the SCA, maybe we'll find something in-between that we will both enjoy. One thing I have to say, you guys have it going on!

Ken
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Fri 17 Mar, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ken Rankin wrote:
And yes, she loves a Guinness Laughing Out Loud

Ken

The spoon is what makes it worthwhile! I believe in Ireland Guinness is its own food group! Laughing Out Loud Well met and welcome aboard! Happy
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Sun 19 Mar, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ken Rankin wrote:
Ken

Laughing Out Loud I'll have to try that some time! Maybe put a cherry on top, or perhaps a scoop of vanilla ice cream for a 'Guiness float!' Razz

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Ken Rankin

PostPosted: Mon 20 Mar, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Laughing Out Loud I'll have to try that some time! Maybe put a cherry on top, or perhaps a scoop of vanilla ice cream for a 'Guiness float!' Razz

Laughing Out Loud I do not want to try that! I prefer German beers, I was stationed there twice when I was in the Army. Our favorite beer of the moment comes from England though, from Wychwood Brewery, Hobgoblin Ale.

Ken, not a drunk, just a concerned drinker Razz
Matthew K. Shea

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Mon 20 Mar, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Edward Hitchens wrote:

As long as we're on the topic of Guinness mixes, I highly suggest trying a black velvet (Guinness and champagne) or a black & tan (Guinness and lager).

Matthew, also a concerned drinker Wink Laughing Out Loud

Proud member of the Academy Of European Medieval Martial Arts.

"Those who live by the sword live a good, long time!"
~Minsc, in Baldur's Gate II
Jesse Zinn

PostPosted: Mon 20 Mar, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Happy Belated St. Patrick's Day, to Ken and all!

Welcome Ken! I don't know where in NC you are, but the North Carolina Renaissance Faire in Raleigh is coming up - the first and second weekends of April,
http://www.ncrenfaire.com/index.php

Cheers, Ken,
Jesse
Ken Rankin

PostPosted: Tue 21 Mar, 2006 8:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jesse Zinn wrote:
Happy Belated St. Patrick's Day, to Ken and all!

Welcome Ken! I don't know where in NC you are, but the North Carolina Renaissance Faire in Raleigh is coming up - the first and second weekends of April,
http://www.ncrenfaire.com/index.php

Hi Jesse!

Yes, very well aware of the faire Laughing Out Loud in fact, I had relayed that very same info on a Yahoo group list I am a member of. My wife and I will probably attend the faire on the last weekend. We live in the wilds of Northern Iredell County (kinda like Cimmeria without the Cimmerians, raiding Vanir and wheel pushing kids Laughing Out Loud ) Where might you be?

Ken

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Happy St. Patrick's Day from a new member
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic