Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Las Vegas Classic and Antique Arms Show Report Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Stephen S. Han

PostPosted: Sun 18 Jan, 2004 8:57 pm    Post subject: Las Vegas Classic and Antique Arms Show Report         Reply with quote

Hey all,

Just got back from Vegas. Thought I'd put a few words in about Las Vegas Classic Knife Show and the Antique Arms Show.

First the Antique Arms Show:

Met Vince and Grace and their entourage when the show opened. It's a great treat to have Vince lead the way as he examined and talk about various different weapons, and these include swords, knives and antique pistols.

Now the Antique Arms Show is not catered for sword lovers. In fact, if you love firearms from the Colonial Era, to Civil War, to the Wild West, this is the show for you. I've seen more Kentucky Long Rifles, Springfield Muskets, cavalry sabres from both sides, Colt Single Action Armies, and Winchester lever actions in one day than my previous days combined.

There were relatively large number of smallswords. My guess is that this is where a new antique sword collector should look. The prices were relatively reasonable for some beautiful examples. A particularly nice one (one which Vince liked) had remarkably beautiful hilt design, grip wrap was in good shape, and the blade was in great shape. I handled it and marvelled at the lightness of it. I could imagine a "gentleman" and a "dandy" being quite well armed with this one. Since I am neither, I passed on it, but with great deal of reluctance. $650 for a wonderfully well preserved antique! But then again, the best of the bunch was listed at $3300, so they run the gamut.

Rapiers were also pretty well represented, but none were in as great a condition as the small swords.

Relatively good number of baskethilts. Vince spent quite a long time talking to Donnie Shearer at his table. He had the largest number of baskethilts, and some of the most interesting. There was one sword at a different table, which was clearly a baskethilt broad sword blade (w/ Andrea Ferrera stamped on the blade) which was refitted at some point with a smallsword handle. The blade toward the handle end had to be shaved down to fit. Very interesting.

There were remarkably large number of well preserved wheel locks. Very ornate and very expensive. Also some "Scottish" pistols, which are easily identified by the grip area.

Not too many medieval stuff, as can probably be expected.

General observation: The lay out is haphazard, so if you are looking for a specific type of arm, you have to just walk the whole thing. I found it best that I walk the whole thing a number of of times i.e. once for swords, once for Wild West stuff, once for 20th Century items, etc.

The definition of "antique" is somewhat flexible there. I saw some real modern weapons there, including a H&K USP.

Was surprised to see a dearth of Japanese swords, what with the recent release of "Last Samurai." I think I saw 4 Guntos, and none of them in very good shape.

Overall it was quite a rewarding experince, albeit overwhelming; I'd do it again. Next year, I won't be so overwhelmed and can walk the show without my head on a swivel.

Last edited by Stephen S. Han on Mon 19 Jan, 2004 9:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Stephen S. Han

PostPosted: Sun 18 Jan, 2004 9:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Las Vegas Classic Knife Show:

This was the second year that the show was held at Circus Circus. This is a poor location. I spoke to some people at the Antique Arms Show who expressed frustration in their inability to find the show. I was told that the braintrusts at Circus Circus prohibited advertising within the property.

As a result the show was poorly attended. More than once I overhead grumblings from makers who lamented the low turnout. Given the fee paid for the table, travel expenses and lodging and meals, I would be surprised if half of the makers actually turned a dollar in profit this show. I hate to see it, since these show are a great treat to us collectors, and most of the knife makers I've run into are wonderful people. I hear tell that the show is moving to Riviera next year. Hopefully the marketing department will do a better job there. Still, I personally had a great time. Hey sharp and pointy stuff, and those who made them. How can I not enjoy myself in that atmosphere?

The usual suspects were in there at the show. Vince Evans, Scott Slobodian, Ken Onion, Barry Dawson, etc. Criswell Swords had a table there. I'm not a huge fan, but there was one which did catch my eyes. It was a katana length sword with a metal dragon head carved on the butt cap end. Very futuristic looking. Not my cup of tea, but nicely done. Blade Art had a few of Tinker Pierce's stuff there, but they were put on a corner table. Not sure how well they did.

Remember the Viking Sword Vince made? Well, it won the "Best Sword" category. Congratulations to Vince and Grace.
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Mon 19 Jan, 2004 4:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the reports, Stephen ..... sounds like you had a great time !

A big congratulations to Vince .... I told him the Viking was gonna win 1st place *g*

Mac

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Stephen S. Han

PostPosted: Tue 20 Jan, 2004 9:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thomas McDonald wrote:
Thanks for the reports, Stephen ..... sounds like you had a great time !

A big congratulations to Vince .... I told him the Viking was gonna win 1st place *g*

Mac

You're welcome, Mac. How could I not have had a great time? My only regret is that more of myArmoury.com family could not attend. I'm hoping it's because everyone's saving his/her money for Atlanta. Once I saw the sword in person, I felt that the win was a foregone conclusion. Happy

As for me, I'll be attending Knife Expo 04, which is in February. It's being held in Buena Park, which is about 10 miles from my house. Vince won't be there, but Richard Rodgers will be there. One might remember, he and Vince had collaborated on a piece. If everything goes right, Vince will have finished the scabbard for the Viking by then and will ask Richard to bring it to Knife Expo.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Las Vegas Classic and Antique Arms Show Report
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic